It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The past week makes clear which kind of country America is" -The Intercept

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I recently stumbled across a great article by Glenn Greenwald at The Intercept. Although I do not agree with Greenwald's sentiments entirely, I believe he is spot on with his assessment of the recent events (involving the confession of a subversive Trump admin cabal of insiders)

SOURCE: theintercept.com...

Any Romans who lived through the decline and fall of their empire would immediately recognize this phenomenon. Republican Rome had a concept of corruption that was broader than just exchanging money for political favors. Rather, political elites and entire societies could be corrupted by a failure of character, a refusal to engage in the basic sacrifices needed for self-government. Livy, a Roman historian born in the 1st century B.C.E., famously put it like this:

Rome was originally, when it was poor and small, a unique example of austere virtue; then it corrupted, it spoiled, it rotted itself by all the vices; so, little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them.

That was 2,000 years ago, and also exactly where we are now. The secret Trump #Resistance cannot tolerate the evils of what Trump would do unleashed. But they also do not have the civic courage to use the remedies — impeachment, the 25th Amendment, or simply resigning and telling the world what they know — needed to cure them.

All of this is extremely ominous for the future of politics in America. Simplicity, openness, clear lines of authority — these are norms in a society that is capable of changing for the better. Secrecy, conspiracy, endless, shadowy struggles for power with no rules — these are characteristics of people in an inescapable, decadent tailspin. The past week makes clear which kind of country America is.

"All of this is extremely ominous for the future of politics in America. Simplicity, openness, clear lines of authority — these are norms in a society that is capable of changing for the better. Secrecy, conspiracy, endless, shadowy struggles for power with no rules — these are characteristics of people in an inescapable, decadent tailspin. The past week makes clear which kind of country America is."

It seems as though a Rubicon has been crossed. A point of no return which ultimately leads to? And we all have to watch it unfold in slow motion.

edit on 9/8/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

The only difference is that with the fall of Rome, it took centuries.

In our society, it would take only weeks.

+8 more 
posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Man, that's powerful!

And yea, the Rubicon has indeed been crossed and the future does not bode well.

I find all of this extremely disturbing; but what I find particularly disturbing is not so much Trump, but rather the bizaarre response he has evoked from so very many. When closely examined, its apparent that the "Resistance" is not only anti-American, but also anti-Democratic.

+11 more 
posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   
There's a vast difference between those who Help and push forward in the face of adversity, and those who play the fiddle and watch Rome burn. If your not part of the solution...... well you know the rest

If there was ever someone battling the Beast.... it is President Donald Trump.
edit on 8-9-2018 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   

So the purge then? You gonna lead us?

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   

The Creature from Jekyll Island : A Second Look at the Federal Reserve
by G. Edward Griffin
www.amazon.com...

Old news. The Rubycon was crossed when the US gave the power of printing money to private bankers 100 years ago.

You (the US) with the help of the US petrodollar have been living beyond your means, looting and pillaging other countries.

100 years later and you're truly in the decline. It is in the nature of things.

And we all have to watch it unfold in slow motion.

You never noticed it before because you were a beneficiary of cheap prices.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy
Some would say our society has been falling for years now, maybe even since 9/11 . I would not call that a rapid decline at all.

I would not worry too much. With this country's spying technology and ability to annihilate societies on the other side of the globe within hours, I would say as a global power/empire we are quite safe still. Although Russia did just threaten to attack the US forces in al-Tanf Syria, so maybe there is something to this after all. How dare our biggest adversaries threaten us!

Many of the Western World's previous global powers are still functioning fine today. Including, Britain, Italy, Greece, France, the Netherlands, Spain and of course, USA. I don't see a scenario where we suddenly just collapse.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Shadowy struggles for power with no rules?

Yes, there are rules and those that have discussed using the rules laid-out within the constitution are met with fierce opposition and ridicule.

We have not passed a "Rubicon". We created for ourselves a bit of a quandary in voting Trump in to office and that quandary will work itself out through the very rules that are in place. Whether that be through impeachment because of his actions, or simple voting through the elections.

What we need to do is stop being #ing drama queens and let all of this stuff work it's way through the system.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   

The expansion of presidential power regarding foreign policy in particular — but also with all issues — has been a long-standing project on the right. When Dick Cheney was secretary of defense during the George H.W. Bush administration, he claimed that Bush could prosecute the first Gulf War in 1991 without any congressional approval. Then, after 9/11, Cheney’s minions wrote a legal treatise arguing that the younger Bush didn’t need Congress’s approval if he wanted to invade a country like, for instance, Iraq. The GOP has decided that the president should be something close to an elected king, and Democrats have largely gone along.

Seems the author forgot about Libya and Syria. To say that war powers usurped from Congress by the President are a GOP this is disingenuous. Obama was one of the worst.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Why was Afghanistan invaded again? Besides the opium to get the ball rolling...

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamonlyhuman

The expansion of presidential power regarding foreign policy in particular — but also with all issues — has been a long-standing project on the right. When Dick Cheney was secretary of defense during the George H.W. Bush administration, he claimed that Bush could prosecute the first Gulf War in 1991 without any congressional approval. Then, after 9/11, Cheney’s minions wrote a legal treatise arguing that the younger Bush didn’t need Congress’s approval if he wanted to invade a country like, for instance, Iraq. The GOP has decided that the president should be something close to an elected king, and Democrats have largely gone along.

Seems the author forgot about Libya and Syria. To say that war powers usurped from Congress by the President are a GOP this is disingenuous. Obama was one of the worst.

Doesn't surprise you, by any chance, does it?

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium

Why was Afghanistan invaded again? Besides the opium to get the ball rolling...

To deny Al Queda free reign to use the country as a base for planning future mass-casualty attacks against American civilians. Essentially, our military is keeping them busy fighting them so they can't attack our civilians like they did on 9/11.

In the absence of another 9/11-style attack on the US mainland, I'd say that objective has been largely successful for the past 17 years.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   

And essentially no one wants to live the consequences of Abraham Lincoln’s prescription: “Elections belong to the people. It’s their decision. If they decide to turn their back on the fire and burn their behinds, then they will just have to sit on their blisters.”

If the In SItu White House resistance had been more hands off and just let things go the way they were going to go - the consequences might have forced a few more congressional and senatorial hands and they might have done some things more immediately useful for the sake of our country. Or not

Still - cowards or heroes - I get where they're at

"All of this is extremely ominous for the future of politics in America. Simplicity, openness, clear lines of authority — these are norms in a society that is capable of changing for the better. Secrecy, conspiracy, endless, shadowy struggles for power with no rules — these are characteristics of people in an inescapable, decadent tailspin. The past week makes clear which kind of country America is."

Those norms haven't been all that clean and clear cut in the past, so it's not like our virtue disappeared overnight. Still - a lot of us have been counting on and waiting for the cavalry. It is not looking like they're going to show up any time soon

Also - that's not Greenwald, its Jon Schwarz

edit on 9/8/2018 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I think the main problem with Trump is that he is absolutely corrupt and has no respect for the law. What makes it a bit more ridiculous is that he is the one claiming he is going to "drain the swamp."

Most of Trump's troubles can be traced back to flaws in his personality. He doesn't listen to advisors, doesn't read reports, yet thinks he is the smartest man in the room. He thinks he is above the law. A few other things like that. I don't like how he appoints people to lead organizations like the EPA who are against the entire point of the organization, that seems unethical to me.

I hope he gets in trouble for any laws he broke and for attempting to obstruct justice. Even if the special counsel completes its investigation and finds Trump did nothing wrong, I would consider that fine, as long as their investigation was allowed to finish. Obama let Clinton's e-mail scandal investigation go to completion.

edit on 08pmSat, 08 Sep 2018 13:20:45 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Speak for yourselves on how unfit you think POTUS is.....

I have trouble saying the word Cinnamon, but that doesn't make me unfit, incoherent or unable to perform my duties at my job.

Everyone keeps saying that his base is shrinking... I honestly don't see that. I've actually come to the conclusion that his base is growing.

Of all of you here who are so quick to dump on POTUS about his struggle to pronounce anonymous ever jumped at the opportunity to point all of the actual destructive policies of the bummer admin?

If 'the other side' had attacked bummer in the same manner as we are seeing today against Trump, 'my side' would all be in jail.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

I thought it was ironic that the Deep State signaled its existence in that Op-Ed (assuming it's true) and then expects to be applauded for existing as if we should be grateful that there is a cabal of unelected bureaucrats that actually run things so the ones we elect can't hurt us.

So there are two classes. We are ruled if that's true.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I think Trump and his crowd, and especially Trump, happen to be more corrupt than the usual politicians. He really outdoes himself in this regard. I'm hoping the next Presidency is not as corrupt and deceitful. I'm guessing it won't be.

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

The amount of corruption in an administration these days really all depends on how much the press likes, doesn't it? If you are the type of president they like, any corruption there may be won't be reported on as it's not news. If they hate you, two scoops of ice cream is evidence of terrible moral depravity.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

The only difference is that with the fall of Rome, it took centuries.

In our society, it would take only weeks.

It's been happening 50+ years now.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   
We’ve been at the Rubicon. (This Trump fiasco is a mere black op sideshow to get neocons back in favor.)

Have you folks forgotten 911?

17 year ago was the beginning of our end in earnest.

Of course, the etiology goes back further than that but 911 was the true beginning of our end

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join