It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Solar Observatory, USPS office in Sunspot, NM evacuated for 'safety reasons'

page: 78
<< 75  76  77    79  80  81 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deetermined

originally posted by: BlueAjah
a reply to: Deetermined

That was a year ago. NMSU has been there for a long time now.

All other reports show that the complete change of operation wasn't going to take place until 2018 and that the Hawaii operation would be up and running in 2019.

I believe this was clarified many pages back.

The original people operating the observatory already moved to Hawaii. Since then it is run by NMSU. They saved it from shutting down. It is still owned by the government.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: KeithCooper

Why must everyone "Please Walk Slowly"?

Walking fast upsets their resident ET, Phred.

Probably a safety issue- you have someone buried in their scientific literature, and someone else barrels around a corner, and we cut to the scene of books/ papers/ tablet/ cellphone taking to the air.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah

I believe this was clarified many pages back.

The original people operating the observatory already moved to Hawaii. Since then it is run by NMSU. They saved it from shutting down. It is still owned by the government.

From what I've read (from a former employee), there are still a handful of NSO employees left who are finalizing the shutdown of NSO's responsibilities to the facility. Also, one of the employees that is left is a "maintenance" worker. We're probably talking about one of the few people who may be able to perform a highly specialized type of maintenance too.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Okay, so if the locals and observatory staff have perpetuated this as a publicity stunt; what is with the continued closure of the Post Office and its 3 or 4 workers being transferred to Cloudcroft? Federal Employees with the Post Office are also carrying out this publicity stunt? Appologies if you detailed this, thread moves fast and I in turn scan long posts fast.
edit on 14-9-2018 by ToasterBorst because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Nah, no problem on that, was just letting you know you have at least 1 supporter on that theory.

The university/consortium may not have done the initial evac for that reason, but it looks like they are taking full advantage of it.
The uptick in visitors is going to be huge after this.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Guy who filmed footage within the evacuated zone interviewed in this new YouTube clip. He says everything looked "sanitized." He also states at @21:00, that Phoenix Lights type of craft are seen regularly in this area and when they're seen, Holloman AFB deploys flares soon afterwards.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Deetermined

In an article yesterday there are 9 employees now at the observatory . 5 from AURA and 4 from NMSU.

Of course there might still be maintenance in addition to that.
edit on 9/14/18 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   

It's crossed my mind more than once. Thing is, there's... external stuff as well.

If there wasn't all of the other stuff muddying it up, I'd either be envious of them for the scam of the century, or think they are the biggest bunch of SOBs...

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

He also states at @21:00, that Phoenix Lights type of craft are seen regularly in this area and when they're seen

Is there (at least) MUFON reports to back up the sightings? I've tried to dig thru MUFON for other things, and it's like trying to recover a gold ring out of a sewer filled with a man eating squid.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: itswhatev

My hunch? Just poor/odd word choice used in an attempt to convey that there was no "panic" or imminent threat to anyone. There are some, even in this very thread, that seem to be in an almost panic state over whatever is going on. The original term used was "evacuate", which to most of us brings a picture of beong asked/forced tonleave very quickly to mitigate any imminent risks. I think, just from observing the little reaction they've had, they probably regret using that term specifically and "vacate" would have been more appropriate. They were asked to "walk calmly" sets a much more placid picture than "they were evacuated" and instead of backtracking I believe they were attempting to clarify some of the confusion we all have beem speculating

Some people invest themselves a little too much in situations like this, either due to mental illness/imbalance or just their nature. As a result, information that most of us find intriguing/interesting they can become completely enthralled/obsessed with and have a hard time separating reality from conjecture/fiction/theories. That can become even more dangerous if there is an underlying mental illness/imbalance. That's how people end up getting hurt and/or in serious trouble.

I am speaking of the sign at the front of the facility that advises people to "Please Walk Slowly" , not the instructions given by the -FBI(?)...and speaking of strange, the chief astronomer fellow telling how He was "contacted by phone" but he states he didn't know by whom or what agency...just that they were to evacuate the area calmly...and for an unknown period....all with a smarmy look on his face. It really is b.s.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: itswhatev

My hunch? Just poor/odd word choice used in an attempt to convey that there was no "panic" or imminent threat to anyone. There are some, even in this very thread, that seem to be in an almost panic state over whatever is going on. The original term used was "evacuate", which to most of us brings a picture of beong asked/forced tonleave very quickly to mitigate any imminent risks. I think, just from observing the little reaction they've had, they probably regret using that term specifically and "vacate" would have been more appropriate. They were asked to "walk calmly" sets a much more placid picture than "they were evacuated" and instead of backtracking I believe they were attempting to clarify some of the confusion we all have beem speculating

Some people invest themselves a little too much in situations like this, either due to mental illness/imbalance or just their nature. As a result, information that most of us find intriguing/interesting they can become completely enthralled/obsessed with and have a hard time separating reality from conjecture/fiction/theories. That can become even more dangerous if there is an underlying mental illness/imbalance. That's how people end up getting hurt and/or in serious trouble.

I am speaking of the sign at the front of the facility that advises people to "Please Walk Slowly" , not the instructions given by the -FBI(?)...and speaking of strange, the chief astronomer fellow telling how He was "contacted by phone" but he states he didn't know by whom or what agency...just that they were to evacuate the area calmly...and for an unknown period....all with a smarmy look on his face. It really is b.s.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: itswhatev

I understand what your saying but you start singling out people in here and I'll have your posts deleted guaranteed. Lets be professional and not start calling people out for mental illness etc..

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: threeeyesopen

Looks like this thread is beginning to be de constructed as the night went on. I'll reply to some PM and see if anything has been updated.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I think we're reaching a point where were kinda spinning our wheels without something new to go on

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I'm curious about the local who was interviewed in this article.

He's made several public facebook posts, including a picture of a tent he set up right outside of the caution tape. He doesn't appear to be an employee. Are there still residents living in Sunspot who don't have an affiliation with the observatory? I got the impression that it was basically a ghost town with just a few employees who were there off an on. And is this guy the ONLY local?

I still find it very strange that you wouldn't let people back into their homes to at least gather their belongings if this was just a simple shut down, or if the FBI had come in to retrieve something and then left. But I also find it strange that they would let people camp and film local news footage outside of the gate and if there was something big going on.

Just doesn't add up for me.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   

He didn't specially call someone out. Though they should get the hint and settle down a bit, because it's destorying this thread...

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   
So... someone gave them the bird.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Weagle

Take a look at this, it will answer your question about the camper.
ftp.nso.edu...

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Update: Authorities not saying a lot as Sunspot Observatory remains closed

Published 8:03 p.m. MT Sept. 13, 2018

The Sunspot Solar Observatory is run by a consortium of universities that provide funding to operate the telescope and adjoining visitor’s center, McAteer said.

“Those are the two building where we have our employees at in Sunspot: the telescope and the visitor’s center,” McAteer said.

Which means that they are responsible for the guided tours and scientific data, he said.

NMSU's four employees at Sunspot were evacuated Sept. 6, as were five or six employees of AURA. The U.S. Postal Service, which operates the Sunspot Post Office, evacuated its employees, though McAteer said he did not know how many people worked at the facility.

There were also about 12 to 15 residents who were evacuated, McAteer said.

“The whole site was evacuated,” McAteer said.

The Richard B. Dunn Solar Telescope, that McAteer and his team operate, rotates on a mercury float bearing at the top of the tower.

The mercury was not the reason for the closure, McAteer said.

“There’s no mercury incident. That’s a completely different set of protocols that would not have involved them locking all the doors,” McAteer said. “We have a very regular maintenance routine. There is no cause for concern there.”

That rules out the mercury theory, if anyone was still considering that possibility.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: 898929

I have spoken to them about it and if it persists then we can take action from there. The poster made it clear in their first post what the issue is, we all understand it to be true.

Let's give them some space to integrate and follow along, that's all I'm saying.

top topics

<< 75  76  77    79  80  81 >>

join