It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Solar Observatory, USPS office in Sunspot, NM evacuated for 'safety reasons'

page: 37
<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Looks like RT picked up the story, finally gaining some traction?
www.rt.com...

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

That house is about 6 miles away though.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: BigDave-AR
Someone kind enough please throw some addresses at me and I'll run down county records for said properties to try to put ownership to bed....

Zillow does not seem to have any sales history or other information for the residences close to the observatory.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage

That house is about 6 miles away though.

Maybe I'm totally off but even then people living in said homes should still have rights, this just seemed more jacked the more I think about it.....

Sorry guys I'm trying to keep on top of this in between fuel drops so if I apologize if I'm screwing up I thought I saw more than one for sale and figured it'd have to be one of the ones in close proximity given the size of the town but I see it was showing Alamogordo as well.
edit on 9/12/2018 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

ETA- If anyone else can find some addresses the county assessor has records available online here that should be able to clear up a little confusion, I may even give them a call and ask some questions.
ocwebserver7.co.otero.nm.us...
edit on 9/12/2018 by BigDave-AR because: ETA

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   

But if it was a routine closing of the facility how could they evacuate residential properties?

Likely they own the houses.

It was posted on the first few pages that the homes were not evacuated but the employees had already been relocated.

Perhaps it was true?

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   
This may be unlikely, but just to throw another thing out there...

There is another close meteor pass-by tomorrow. 2018 RE3

I know this is a tiny image of an immense area, but it looks like the orbit comes really close to earth. 1.8 LD is the estimated distance, but the "conditions" property of 7 means the orbit is highly uncertain.

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Hey, this thing has our minds running in circles. I've dug through so much information in the last few days my eyes hurt and my brain is turning to mush.
I have a pdf on my phone that describes the facility, houses included. I'll try to remember where I found it and post the link

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Just got off the phone with county assessors's office yeah I was off base the observatory is on a 20,000 acre plot my bad well at least I cleared up one minor mystery......

ETA- I probably ended up on a few more watch lists after that call

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpartanStoic
Zerohedge posted something earlier, apologies if I missed it earlier in the thread, just off an airplane for a biz trip, TLDR.

www.zerohedge.com...

The interesting part...

Just in case you were blowing off the tin-foil-hat views of the observatory closure, we note that all these solar/space cams down at the same time:
AXIS 232D Network Dome Camera located in Sydney Australia
Webcams located at SOAR Observatory – The Southern Astrophysical Research Telescope located in Chile
BRT Tenerife Telescope Webcam located in Spain
Webcam located at Mauna Kea observatory at the University of Hawaii Hilo
Webcam from the Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope observatory in Hawaii
Webcam at JAT OBservatory in Fairless Hills, Pennsylvania

If true...
What are the odds all these independent observatories are moving/security risks at the same time LOL. Still there has to be other observatories out there open they can shut up every one of them. 

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Hey, this thing has our minds running in circles. I've dug through so much information in the last few days my eyes hurt and my brain is turning to mush.
I have a pdf on my phone that describes the facility, houses included. I'll try to remember where I found it and post the link

You're telling me brother this is crazy it's been a while since I felt this snowed out of something....

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Other observatories might have some government oversight and control. I recall one of them that has public tours has a military checkpoint and visitors MUST have a passport to enter.

They might already have taken over the other observatories and it is just less visible. They tried to keep this one quiet, and are probably mad that the locals talked.

Many are in remote locations, to have less light interference from cities, with limited access.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   
This pdf put out by the NSF describes the site fairly well. Includes the houses, and lays out the future of the facility as of a year ago.

www.nsf.gov...

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Well hell the nice lady I talked to said 20,000 acres but the pdf report is showing 200 acres my brain is really starting to hurt.....

Apparently the LDS church has a summer retreat out that way.....

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Their probably both right, NSF probably just deals with the 200, but the 20,000 is federal owned.
It's sick how much land the feds own out west.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Their probably both right, NSF probably just deals with the 200, but the 20,000 is federal owned.
It's sick how much land the feds own out west.

Okay looking at the map of the buildings outlined in the pdf the only other one I could see possibly causing a shutdown quickfast and in a hurry is there water shed or on site sewage treatment.... Back in the week after 9/11 when I lived in livermore california we had most of SF FBI field office swarming over our town as the watershed that fed our street had been broken into by some kids causing all kinds of craziness due to the tense times....

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   

wonder if that weather station on the site map is still operational?

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Not sure if this made it to the thread or not, but here's a new person I hadn't heard from:

SUNSPOT, New Mexico - The National Solar Observatory in Sunspot, New Mexico, and a nearby United States Postal Service office, were evacuated for security reasons Thursday, observatory officials said.

"We have decided to temporarily vacate this facility as a precautionary measure. And we're working with the proper authorities on this issue," Association for Universities for Research in Astronomy spokeswoman Sheri Lofson said.

KVIA

May be worth trying to contact that group and seeing what can be learned?

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky

But if it was a routine closing of the facility how could they evacuate residential properties?

It was posted on the first few pages that the homes were not evacuated but the employees had already been relocated.

Perhaps it was true?

Seems pretty unlikely they could stay if the road is blocked off there seems to be no stores there that I have seen. No medical care or anything they couldn't just leave people blocked in.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Makes me wonder if the postal operations were temporarily routed through another office.

I think they have some responsibility to deliver the mail.

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

originally posted by: howtonhawky

Perhaps it was true?

Seems pretty unlikely they could stay if the road is blocked off there seems to be no stores there that I have seen. No medical care or anything they couldn't just leave people blocked in.

By they he means the university not individual home owners, I called and the obtesvatory is on a 20,000 acre plot of land.

top topics

<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join