It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Solar Observatory, USPS office in Sunspot, NM evacuated for 'safety reasons'

page: 110
<< 107  108  109    111  112  113 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Deetermined
Since it's an ongoing investigation and that reason has been cited for not providing more information at this time, there's no official answer.

One rumor is that an espionage operation was discovered. That would seem to gel with officials saying that a security issue was involved, in which case it could be national security.

edit on 2018916 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

That's the direction I've been leaning.

I've read that the facility started an initiative to upgrade and update the facility back in 2016, but as of 13 hours ago, an Albuquerque media outlet just reported that the observatory will remain shut down indefinitely and until further notice. Apparently, they haven't let people back into their homes either. Employees are contacting everyone they can within the state for answers, especially the ones who live on site.

www.koat.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

Not really. There's a fun conversation going on about it, but there's a lot that can't really be talked about.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 06:40 AM
link   

I said that what is involved is at least partly known about by the public. That doesn't mean that everything about it is or that it's something easy to figure out. Stealth technology is known about by the public but you don't know what RAM is made of or entirely how it works.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

You try to sound as though you have some kind of inside information on this event?

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deetermined

You try to sound as though you have some kind of inside information on this event?

I think Zaph knows stuff that we don't know that we don't know.

-dex

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

I think Zaph knows stuff while trying to lead us to believe that there's nothing of any consequence to know. What he labels "mundane" doesn't appear mundane when people have been shut out of their own homes for the last 10 days.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Well to be fair zaph does know stuff but he's always pretty good about knowing where to draw the line when discussing it.

As for what's going on with the observatory. Its neat. But ultimately mundane. If you knew the answer you'd go "that's cool but its kinda boring. But I can see why it's kept secret."
edit on 16-9-2018 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

As for what's going on with the observatory. Its neat. But ultimately mundane. If you knew the answer you'd go that's cool but its kinda boring.

I'll ask you the same question. Why would you possibly think that ANYTHING that would force people out of their homes for 10 days without an explanation be that mundane?

edit on 16-9-2018 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   

I think the fact he's posting in this thread should help point us in a better direction as we investigate why things happened at this observatory.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Insignificant in the sense that Armageddon isnt starting, the 2md coming isnt happening, the world isnt about to be detroyed by a giant unseen solar body, the sun isn't about to be destroyed/blow up or destroy us, aliens haven't arrived (well, not st this location lol), ww3 isnt about to start because of something st Sunspot... Etc.. Insignificant in the grander scheme of things. The term security threat is pretty broad without going into any further detail which is 1)why this is so bizarre and 2) why SO many far out ideas can't be ruled out completely IMO.

For instance, in college I worked at a local call center who did 3rd-party work for Bank of America. Because we dealt with social security #s and banking info we had a "clean desk policy". That meant we could not have any pens/writing utensils/cellphones in the actual building. (among a long list of other things) There was an incident where am open pack of pens was found in a trash can..seemingly insignificant. We were closed for 4 days while am investigation took place to find out where they came from because customer info could have been at risk. Turns out it was the cleaning crew. However, until they were done ruling out everything we were kept in the dark.

Granted this place doesnt deal with anything like that and the FBI involved does up the anty a bit but I'm sure the possibilites for what constitutes a "security threat" could equally be something small OR something large. It could be a spy/espionage case or someone beeaching a secure computer to play online games or something lol not that I think someone was using a company system to play games- just saying it may not be quite as severe as what one would first think of when hearing the term "security threat".

Idk maybe im just trying to lower my own expectations for the inevitable let down when the "truth" comes out. I cant be the only one who has gotten my hopes up multiple times on ATS thinking the "big" story was finally about to break
edit on 133011008am30America/Chicagov by itswhatev because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   

a reply to: BASSPLYR

As for what's going on with the observatory. Its neat. But ultimately mundane. If you knew the answer you'd go that's cool but its kinda boring.

I'll ask you the same question. Why would you possibly think that ANYTHING that would force people out of their homes for 10 days without an explanation be that mundane?

Can be something as simple as an upgrade in a system, change in the way it's wired or replacement/servicing of sensitive parts. Minimising the changes of any intel leaks under the national security guise.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheGoondockSaint

I think the fact he's posting in this thread should help point us in a better direction as we investigate why things happened at this observatory.

Personally, I think he's trying to do just the opposite.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: bastion

Can be something as simple as an upgrade in a system, change in the way it's wired or replacement/servicing of sensitive parts. Minimising the changes of any intel leaks under the national security guise.

While that may be the case, they should explain that to people instead of kicking them out of their homes with no explanation. How hard would it have been to let the employees know that they need to shut down the facility for awhile to do that without having to explain why they are having to do it?

Edit to Add: It sounds to me like they have to be investigating the people that worked inside the observatory to go through this the way that they have. Someone is suspect.
edit on 16-9-2018 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Now that the sheriff is telling a little different story. Has anyone actually seen the FBI? I'm betting it's another agency involved.
edit on 16-9-2018 by 898929 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheGoondockSaint

Personally, I think he's trying to do just the opposite.

No, I'd disagree with that. Zaphod can drop little tidbit hints about some things. And if you learn to read them, sometimes, certainly not always, you can find the answer yourself.
It's rough that people were forced out of their homes, but it's government owned homes, and sometimes the landlord has to temporarily clear house for maintenance.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   

a reply to: Arbitrageur

That's the direction I've been leaning.

I've read that the facility started an initiative to upgrade and update the facility back in 2016, but as of 13 hours ago, an Albuquerque media outlet just reported that the observatory will remain shut down indefinitely and until further notice. Apparently, they haven't let people back into their homes either. Employees are contacting everyone they can within the state for answers, especially the ones who live on site.

www.koat.com...

The interview with the resident in the article you referenced is interesting. Imagine how they must feel. As he says - everything he owns is in his home on the other side of a piece of yellow tape, and he has been given no explanation for why he can't get his belongings. I would be infuriated in his place.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   

They are letting employees work remotely, per a previous statement. So, that means they are not concerned about employees having access to the data. That is assuming that the work they are doing remotely is actually accessing the data at the observatory.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

I think I just read that they are stopping operations there and going to focus on looking at previous months data.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: 898929

That's a good possibility.

top topics

<< 107  108  109    111  112  113 >>

join