It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for someone who wants to get back into reading comics.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I use to collect comics when I was younger, X-men, Spiderman, The Hulk,The Punisher, and GIJoe. I been wanting to get back into reading comics, but I have been out of the stories so long I dont know whats going on. My questions to u guys is.

Are any of these titles still good?

Does the same artist and writers stay on for long periods?

What happened to Proffesor X?

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   
All those books are still great.

Artist and writer teams are far more respected today. Sometimes now when a writer is finished with a comic the artist will follow them to the next comic (or vice versa)

Professor X is only appearing in Excalibur right now Written by Chris Clairmont.

Based on what you said that you used to collect I recommend these titles.

Astonishing X-Men. Writer Joss Wheadon and Artist John Cassaday have just signed up to do another 12 issues making 24 total. Astonishing X-men #9 comes out in March. The first 6 issues are available in trade paperback.
Marvel Knights Spiderman. It is geared toward older readers. Issue 11 just came out.
The Punisher This is only one punisher title and it is for mature readers. If you seen the new movie you will get the same feel. The movie was based more on the new comic rather than the older ones.
G.I.Joe Reloaded This is a revamp of G.I.Joe. The comic starts from scratch and is set in modern times with modern threats. It is geared toward older readers.

Hope that helps

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Yeah it does.
I use to hate when you would get a great creative team together, and 5 issues later they are gone, and somone else steps in.

Punisher is now darker, that is cool, I will deffinatly check that out, hope its better than the movie though.

Man I tell you the prices sure went up. Use to be 75 cents to 99 cents.
Thar art and color aare better though, so I guess it is worth it.

Thanks for your help.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
If the price is a big deal, then buy the trade paperbacks They collect 6 issues now and only cost like 12 bucks. You can also buy hardcovers that usually have 12 issues.
The only comic I buy monthly that was on the list I gave you was Astonishing X-Men.
If you remember buying books for 99cents then probably that was about ten maybe 15 years ago. The stories today wont require you to fill in the gaps between now and then. For the most part a Story will continue for 12 months and then its over. If the book did really good then the creators might stay on for another 12 issues.

Much of the Marvel movie money has trickled down to the books themselves. It shows

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snowman9
Yeah it does.
I use to hate when you would get a great creative team together, and 5 issues later they are gone, and somone else steps in.

Punisher is now darker, that is cool, I will deffinatly check that out, hope its better than the movie though.

Man I tell you the prices sure went up. Use to be 75 cents to 99 cents.
Thar art and color aare better though, so I guess it is worth it.

Thanks for your help.

Also you can pick up Essentials , Which are black &white Reprints of old comics. THey are way cheaper than collecting all the comics and way easier to get your hands on. Most bookstores carry them and if not will you order you one easy enough.

join