It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dallas Officer Kills Man After Walking Into Wrong Apartment: Police

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Stands to reason through that physically exhausted Police officers should not be carrying around loaded weapons.

Turn it around the other way, what if the guy had looked through the spy hole, opened the door, and shot her for attempting to break into his apartment?

Would he be getting done with manslaughter or Police murder in this day of age?

It's a mistake and a horrible tragic accident, but one that could have been prevented, if the officer in question had simply taken a moment to establish the facts, which is kind of what Police are supposed to do before taking a life.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I thought such training was inclined to make you use your mind before engaging in senseless violence?

One would hope the officer would look for a fire arm in the person's hand before firing. A man in his under ware doesn't have many places to hide weapons.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I live in this complex. It is a very strange shooting. There are a lot of strange things being said about this shooting. By locals and by local news anchors.

Check out Steve Eagar’s twitter. He’s mentioned that he’s heard from the DPD that they didn’t even live on the same floor.

Rumors are going around that this officer also use to date the victim. I’ll keep you posted to anything else that I hear. Sad sad news. Prayers and energy to the victims’s family and friends.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: graphicarts85

Dating. That could be important.

How are the buttons in the elevator laid out? Easy to hit wrong floor (14 not 13)? 14 above 13 versus across the panel by several inches.

Do the doors have numbers with the floor, such as 1410 not just 10?

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   
There are only two main elevators that I know of. Pretty easy. I rarely take them, but I’ll reply with a picture later. You can park on the floor that you live on. I live on floor three, so I park on floor 3. Sometimes the parking is full and I end up parking one floor up, but it tells you floor 1, 2, 3, or 4 once you exit the parking garage. The elevators are inside the parking garage...not the hallways.

Correct. The apartment doors have the floor number. 1110, 1210, 1310, 1410.

All the apartments are numbered with electronic signs that light up. My apartment numbers light up from behind with LED lights.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: graphicarts85

omg

Thanks for the update!

Have you seen any texas rangers around? I heard they were called in.

Pics of doors in the complex would be awesome.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   

And she was tired simply does not cut it im afraid.

I have been known to accomplish all sorts of things while tired, dead exhausted, low blood sugared, and stressed to the point of passing out. If I- a pasty, flabby thing that now gets pooped out walking up a hill can keep my marbles intact while under stress loads both physical and mental- WHY COULDN'T SHE. *Especially* while carrying a gun! If I knew I was getting that tired, gun would go somewhere in a bag, or at least be unloaded, and bullets in a separate spot.

Her excuse sucks.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I haven’t seen any yet, but I’ve been staying at a friend’s in Uptown, Dallas.

Our complex has been swarmed with news stations and cameras. That and it’s been pouring rain since yesterday.

I’m headed home shortly and I will post pictures of the elevator keys, garage hallway entrances and the door signs.

The keys for the doors are plastic key fobs that activate an electronic lock. I’ll take a picture of that as well.

a reply to: howtonhawky

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   

we both agree that she should be charged and will be, the only question will be how much time she does, personally I think she doesn't go with a jury trial the history that has come out on the young man so far would mean she gets max or near max penalty.

Also I agree, after that long a shift she shouldn't have had a loaded weapon, but its not as easy as turn it in at the armory, an entire shift would be at least an hour for turn in.

Now they have a 15 hour day and have to go back to work the next day, putting more risk into the officers being on the street with loaded weapons.

So on which end do you want the risk?

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: wylekat

Pretty much.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   

The end where people don't get shot on the whim of mentally exhausted muppets in charge of a firearm i suppose.

Put it this way if an additional hour is all that's required to store said weapon(more like 15 mins max) and prevent this type of thing from occurring then needs must, such is the nature of the job.

Somehow through i don't image a solution to be that easy.
edit on 8-9-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
I am starting to see how this could happen based on her day, being an officer and auto pilot of action kicking in. Doesn't make it right or lessen it any though.

Can't agree with that in the least, the notion there's any excuse, because of some auto pilot that shoots people. I believe this proves the officer unfit to serve as a policewoman, and likely always the case, she always an accident waiting to happen.

That is much more nuts that I'd thought, yesterday, reading more detail, today. It was a mystery how she could have not recognized the wrong apartment, to my mind, but maybe all the doors open to hallways that look alike? The door was unlocked, which she knew shouldn't have been the case for her apartment, because, surely, her key wouldn't open somebody else's door? Like she opens the, alright then, unlocked wrong door to a drug dealer, and he goes for a gun, or perhaps simply charges at her, violently? My first inclination was to think there are such missing details to make what happened a more possible shooting scenario, but her key doesn't work in the lock, somebody else comes to the door, in underwear, at that, and this idiot policewoman can't figure out those two things add up to the wrong door? Well, chalk-up another one that wasn't detective material, to say the least! And since when is being startled, absent the likes of being also clearly threatened by a visible weapon, criteria to shoot somebody, when one is supposed to be a trained professional in these matters? This is all insane. I didn't know shoot first, ask questions later, was in the police playbook. It seems one thing for sure, the police department is too light on psychological evaluations of the fitness of its employees, to have somebody that so caves, under stress, given the nature of the job.

This whole situation is far worse than I'd imagined, because there is nothing exculpatory of the officer in these details, again, don't buy anybody can have a bad day and, therefore, shoot somebody. Such an argument is like saying it's alright to kick the dog, I suppose to death, at that. It will be interesting to see how she's dealt with, at least my not buying any form of you can have a hard shift and go oops to killing anybody, as you know a private party, doing the same thing, would surely do some hard time, maybe a lot of hard time, and it seems to me the presumption is a private individual has room to be a lot more stupid, incompetent and unstable, than a police officer.

I don't think you can spin these details positive for the officer, in the least, or the management of her department. There is a big hole in psychological evaluations for fitness and perhaps training, as it occurs to me everybody has heard that saying, many times, that the first priority of a police officer is to go home alive. I'd have to beg the differ that notion gets through training, you know what I mean? Or put it this way, the notion it's better somebody else is shot, when in doubt, I can't buy, anyway, as, to me, the first obligation is the protection of citizens, surely protection from themselves at the top of the list! Or put it this way, then, if police are coming to the wrong door and shooting people, I'll take my chances, without them, thank you. And bottom line, for reasons stated, it's alarming this could happen, at all, brings the whole system, at least there in Dallas, into question, which leads to whether or not some bosses should be fired, to have such loose cannon on their force. Somebody would have to prove it to me this woman cracked for the first time, shooting this victim, perhaps possible, but I doubt it, would bet the rot in this Dallas police department goes deeper, enough to investigate the matter to the rafters. This is also something owed the victim, I would think a federal investigation in order, as you could say this victim's Constitutional rights were violated, bigtime, you think?
edit on 8-9-2018 by Scrutinizing because: Wording.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Also I agree, after that long a shift she shouldn't have had a loaded weapon, but its not as easy as turn it in at the armory, an entire shift would be at least an hour for turn in.

The armory? Why would they do that? I'm no expert in police policy and protocol, but on the TV show "Blue Bloods", the cops often lock their guns in their lockers after their shifts. I only bring this up because I suspect that TV shows like that, that are meant to portray the police in a good light, are well researched and writer's are advised by people who actually know police habits and protocol.

edit on 8-9-2018 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Scrutinizing

As I posted

Doesn't make it right or lessen it any though.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Wondering if this will turn into a lover's fight gone bad.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

I don't know how it goes on a police force, but to turn in a weapon for a shift of security forces it is a minimum of an hour for the shift to get their weapons, and an hour to turn it in.

You don't just put it in a locker because that is not a secured firearm, the locks are so easy to jimmy on those things you would have to assume a locker in a police station cannot be accessed by anyone.

If you want the weapon to be secured it has to go into an armory.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

a reply to: Scrutinizing

As I posted

You put forth a premise there's mitigation, involving the nature of the job, and I'm saying no to that: for a police officer, this should not and cannot be the case, and such a wholly stupid and absurd incident of senseless slaughter of a citizen, in their own home. I don't care what her day was like, as the very premise is not mitigating of anything, rather more an excuse somebody's floating, and probably somebody floating at the police department. Sounds more like a line a defense attorney would use that nobody else would so disrespect and insult the victim by. But whatever.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Wondering if this will turn into a lover's fight gone bad.

Same here. You can't but think there's something more, that it's all much too stupid, senseless, on the surface, but experience tells us there's also no limit to stupidity.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

You put forth a premise there's mitigation, involving the nature of the job,

Just pointing out things can arrange to create situations. Not that it is right or makes it less wrong.

A poor man might become a criminal to have possessions. Not right, just the way things happen. people drive drunk and that leads to wrecks.

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join