It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Five F-16's...just now (breaking ?)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Five F-16's just rocketed by overhead just now headed ENE out of Buckley AFB. Low cloud deck today so I couldn't see them. The first two came over at about 3000 AGL, one after the other, both full after burner, just blistering overhead. About 30 seconds later another, and then about 5 seconds later two more, again one after the other, those two also in full afterburner. The third one wasn't.

It's Friday, so they could just be Air Guard on training runs, but they were pretty low and movin' out fast (which is kind of unusual).

The first two came over like the intercept runs we see sometimes. That's right into the approach pattern for DEN from cruise.

Anything going on right now?
edit on 9/7/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Good eye, thanks for that reporting.....these days specially

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Buckley isn't an alert base. It's a training flight.

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Layman here. That low on after burner. Is it safe to assume there were sonic booms ?

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: 14377

No. They use it to get airborne, but except for the alert fighters, they'll pull it back out of burner pretty quickly. It burns a lot of fuel.

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Yesterday, over Concord, NC there was about 10-15 military helicopters and maybe 6-8 Osprey's out flying around. Extremely odd for this neck of the woods. There are no major military bases within 100 miles of here in any direction. Not sure the reason, but my brother called me freaking out about it...

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: PokeyJoe

End of the Fiscal Year is in a little over two weeks. They have to burn any excess funding they have by then.

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   

No sonic booms.

That low, I suspect a supersonic fly over would break some s#.

I didn't hear them for too long after they went over, so I'm guessing they got off the gas pretty quick.

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Thank you, it never hurts to ask a question .

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Certainly not. And most people in this forum are more than happy to answer them.

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Buckley isn't an alert base. It's a training flight.
Could be, could be... But....

Buckley AFB's host unit, the 460th Space Wing, falls under the direction of 14th Air Force and Air Force Space Command. For its day-to-day operational mission the 460th SW directly supports Combatant Commands across the globe.

Besides being the home of the 460 SW, the base also hosts the 140th Wing, Colorado Air National Guard (COANG), the Navy Operational Support Center, the Aerospace Data Facility-Colorado, the Army Aviation Support Facility and the Air Reserve Personnel Center. These are also known as the "Big Five" mission partners at Buckley.

Buckley AFB truly represents a joint, Total Force and coalition base. This includes 3,100 active duty members from every service, 4,000 National Guard personnel and Reservists, four commonwealth international partners, 2,400 civilians, 2,500 contractors, 36,000 retirees and approximately 40,000 veterans and dependents. The base contributes an estimated $1 billion annually to the local economy.

To read more about Buckley AFB and the 460th SW click here.

Buckley Air Force Base

Buckley is filled with high level military targets. And I would bet my bottom dollar, it has a active defensive force in place. "140th Wing, Colorado Air National Guard "??

Yea, just a training mission, I'm sure. But, I sure wouldnt be flying my drone around that place lol lol.

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   

So a question for you then...

They had them at one point because when they rebuilt the runway over at Buckley they moved the whole squadron over here, and before they could do that we had to build them two alert pads (and storage igloos) and they were constantly wreaking havoc with departures when they'd launch. Was that just training too?

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: All Seeing Eye

Yeah it is home to interesting things. Peterson is more interesting.

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   

See above

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

I'll have to double check, but until the early 90s there were alert bases, as well as bases that had facilities for alert aircraft to disperse to. Then there drawdown hit, and the force was gutted. They ended up with two on each coast, with California and Florida covering the south as well as in coming oceanic aircraft, as well as several bases along the southern border.

Alert aircraft will almost always launch in pairs. I won't say always because there may be three extremely unusual situation, but that's a one in a lifetime event. One aircraft is the shooter, and will have the aircraft ahead of him at all times. The other is the spotter. He'll go up next to the aircraft they're intercepting and make a visual identification, and use hand signals to talk to the pilot if necessary.
edit on 9/7/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Yeah, I agree with your earlier post that what I observed was probably just a training sortie.

I was just asking based on your response that Buckley was "only" a training base given what was required to temporarily relocate them for a year or so.

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I figured that's what you were asking, but thought I'd cover multiple points at once. It looks like the 120th FS is one of the units that's occasionally called on to stand alert if other alert units are unavailable, or gets pulled out of rotation.

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58 That explains why so much refueling and low levels have been going on.About a month ago people in this area were freaking out on Facebook about all the activity ramping up,figured it was a exercise or training ramping up to get in more flight hours.

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ridgerunner

About July until the end of September is Ithefun post of the year. Sometime around July units look at what's left for the year, and either say, "oh crap, we're not going to make it" or "oh crap, we've got too much left". So they sit down and figure out what they need to get to the end of September.

If they're lucky, a unit with too much, finds a unit with too little, and shifts some to them. If they aren't, or no one needs any, they wait until September rolls around, and go nuts. It all has to be gone by September 30th.
edit on 9/7/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Man I`d give up someone`s kidney for a ride in one, those are some vicious little things in a dogfight and at airshows.

Has the age old argument of F-15 vs F-16 ever been settled?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join