It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attack on American Base

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2003 @ 04:01 AM
link   
here's the story from Yahoo!

1 dead, 10 injured in attack north of Baghdad

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Mortar rounds slammed into a U.S. base north of Baghdad, wounding at least 10 American troops, and another U.S. soldier was shot and killed while guarding the national museum in the capital, the U.S. military said Friday.

story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20030704/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq&cid=540&ncid=716

posted on Jul, 4 2003 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Damn I'm tired of U.S. Troops getting killed there like every single day. Take them out of Iraq a.s.a.p.

posted on Jul, 4 2003 @ 04:23 PM
link   
And things are likely to get worse over there.

posted on Jul, 4 2003 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Why are they still even in there? They should be back by now.

posted on Jul, 5 2003 @ 02:50 AM
link   
One could only be thankful it isn't more frequent: it is a disgrace that soldiers are being obliged to do what they have never been trained to do and presumably never asked to do: as absurd as asking policemen to stage an infantry assault.
And one fears that, if half of what is on non-Western sites about Afghanistan is true, it's worse there.

posted on Jul, 5 2003 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I was for the removal of the Taliban and Sadaam, I was (am)very uneasy about nation building- that is what we are doing.
The Baathist remnant will never be for a new Iraq, even though most (I believe) Iraqis want this change (from their own hands).

posted on Jul, 5 2003 @ 06:18 AM
link   
It is my opinion that this violence occurs for several factors. Let me list these to make it easy on the eyes.

Those factors are:

1--Iraqis naturally hate foreigners and always have.

2--This occupation is just another Regime to them and they want to gain control once and for all.(They haven't controlled their own land for at least 800 years.)

3--The radicals come in large numbers here. There has always been waring factions of tribes and militamen who vow to take control of the country. They can't do that when our troops are in the way, so they must get them out so they can begin the REAL fight.

4--Iraq hasn't been lawless like this for some 30 years or more. So naturally you are going to find people ready to disobey the order of things because in the past things were so rough and no one could even move without fear of torture and death. Now that they are free to upset the order of things they will, and do.

5--Crime has always been bad in Iraq but under Saddam it was more or less in the family or within the establishment. Now that Saddam's family and that establishment cease to be, that crime amplifies in other ways due to the change of circumstances. Under Saddam that crime was against soceity itself.::::Rape of food, water, education, and even people/Theft of possesions and things of the like/And of course murder. But unlike now, that murder was limited to political pressure from the government by use of influence and abuse of power. Now that same abuse comes about but against different forces. No longer is that abuse directed towards the outcasts or the radicals, but it is against a people. That people being the occupiers and the supporters of occupation. (The same thing we see going on in Palestine today and everday before that for the last 75 years.)

6--Then there is the fact that we have more outside forces ready to fight for power in the country. (Remember there is a fight for power in Iraq. Not the same fight I mention in reason 3,
That is a tribal warfare. The fight for power I am talking about is a regional and even a religious battle. We have Iranians fighting for land and political influence and we have more extreme forces like the Bin Laden Group fighting for religious and political power as well.

7--Then there is the fact that Iraq is still in shambles and that basic needs like food, water and power are not available for those that need it. When ever things of this nature limit happiness and prosperity people will find people to blame. They often blame our troops because the troops that occupy the land of Iraq come from a government that has promised such things to them that those Iraqis are not getting. Not to mention no other entity in or outside of Iraq has the power to bring such things needed, cause the US is in control. Therefore our troops fall due to the blame.

What really makes me sad is that these troops have nothing to do with these matters and are not there to bring power, food or health items. They may be able to provide these things when given to them, but they don't have the power to bring them in the country. That is not their job. That is the job of the politicans who can provide such importation.

If I left any reasons out, please by all means don't be afraid to add some.

new topics

top topics

join