It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The office of the President

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Who holds it has nothing at all to do with what it signifies. It’s a position that is bigger than any one person. It’s the single point where all our rules and regulations over the lifetime of our nation come together. You may not like the person who holds the office, but it’s your duty (if you served or are serving) to support and defend the Constitution and the office of the president and his orders.

Now, there are things in place should there be a person hold that office who isn’t fit. And there are plenty of people who believe the current POTUS is not. It sure isn’t for me to decide. If he is unfit, we have things in place to protect our nation. Impeachment is not to be taken lightly and it’s not something that we should be using whenever we disagree with a party or policy. If it became a way to just remove the guy half the people didn’t like, I’d suspect most presidents would have been impeached. The 25th amendment which had been brought up, is another way to remove a person who isn’t fit to be in office.

But with both of those options, there is a process, that doesn’t include pitchforks, tar, feathers, or tears and black masks. It’s a judicial process and requires enough sane people on all fronts to accomplish. As of now, that has not been started on either front. If it is, and it’s done according to the letter of the law, then we don’t have the luxury of liking or disliking it, we have to deal with it and accept the results, as those are the rules we all agreed to live by.

Now, when you decide those rules don’t apply, or you are smarter than everyone else, or you feel you are morally superior and therefore justified to take the law into your own hands and circumvent the will of the people and the rules of our nation, you are the enemy. Foreign or domestic depends on your citizenship, but make no mistake, you are an enemy. Those who took the oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic, are there to make sure you don’t do it and walk away. It’s our job. It’s our duty.

So while our wonderful Constitution offers many rights, like the right to talk about how much you don’t like the guy in charge, or how you would do things if you were man enough to run for office and put yourself out there, it also safeguards against the thread of unlawful behavior. So enjoy the rights you have, exercise them often, and never, ever forget that if you think you are above those things mentioned, there are many, many people who will bear arms, and die if necessary to ensure that you don’t win.

This is not a threat, it’s the promise I gave to my country, and I stand with all those who did the same and believe in our nation.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

My guess is like most things that set a thread fire on this site, this OP-ED will blow over in a week, and we'll have something new to argue about.

Maybe the name gets dropped next week and we get to relive it for a while after they get fired....

Two weeks max.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   

As someone who has served as well, I really don't have anything to add to your OP.

You have summed up my thoughts perfectly.

S&F and we will see where this all goes, shall we?

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst...

edit on 6-9-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Who holds it has nothing at all to do with what it signifies. It’s a position that is bigger than any one person. It’s the single point where all our rules and regulations over the lifetime of our nation come together. You may not like the person who holds the office, but it’s your duty (if you served or are serving) to support and defend the Constitution and the office of the president and his orders.

Now, there are things in place should there be a person hold that office who isn’t fit. And there are plenty of people who believe the current POTUS is not. It sure isn’t for me to decide. If he is unfit, we have things in place to protect our nation. Impeachment is not to be taken lightly and it’s not something that we should be using whenever we disagree with a party or policy. If it became a way to just remove the guy half the people didn’t like, I’d suspect most presidents would have been impeached. The 25th amendment which had been brought up, is another way to remove a person who isn’t fit to be in office.

But with both of those options, there is a process, that doesn’t include pitchforks, tar, feathers, or tears and black masks. It’s a judicial process and requires enough sane people on all fronts to accomplish. As of now, that has not been started on either front. If it is, and it’s done according to the letter of the law, then we don’t have the luxury of liking or disliking it, we have to deal with it and accept the results, as those are the rules we all agreed to live by.

Now, when you decide those rules don’t apply, or you are smarter than everyone else, or you feel you are morally superior and therefore justified to take the law into your own hands and circumvent the will of the people and the rules of our nation, you are the enemy. Foreign or domestic depends on your citizenship, but make no mistake, you are an enemy. Those who took the oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic, are there to make sure you don’t do it and walk away. It’s our job. It’s our duty.

So while our wonderful Constitution offers many rights, like the right to talk about how much you don’t like the guy in charge, or how you would do things if you were man enough to run for office and put yourself out there, it also safeguards against the thread of unlawful behavior. So enjoy the rights you have, exercise them often, and never, ever forget that if you think you are above those things mentioned, there are many, many people who will bear arms, and die if necessary to ensure that you don’t win.

This is not a threat, it’s the promise I gave to my country, and I stand with all those who did the same and believe in our nation.

So,the words unable and unfit are not legally interchangeable no matter how many wish they were.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   

The 25th amendment which had been brought up, is another way to remove a person who isn’t fit to be in office.

I'm not familiar with the US constitution.

Can you remove someone from the office for being a jerk?

What else the "resistance" have against him anyway?

edit on 6/9/2018 by vinifalou because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

My guess is like most things that set a thread fire on this site, this OP-ED will blow over in a week, and we'll have something new to argue about.

Maybe the name gets dropped next week and we get to relive it for a while after they get fired....

Two weeks max.

If that OP ed is real, then there will be hell to pay for some. If it's a work of fiction, then the author and the NY Times will look like the douche bags they are. Sure the press has the right to print what they want, and the author has the right to say what they want, but neither has the right to DO what they claim to have done. There is no rule, no law, no hidden bit of justice that makes it OK. So it's my hope that this blows over, and next week, we have some new asshole claiming the President farted near him or her, or whatever the next horrible injustice might be, I feel really strongly about this, as should anyone who sacrificed their time, and lives to serve this great nation.

I wanted to be clear that my OP, while written because of this incident, stands on it's own merit and should be discusses as such.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
is oval.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   
If I was VP Pence, I'd be scared of you guys. Operation Lodestar....

www.bbc.com...
edit on 6-9-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   

If that OP ed is real, then there will be hell to pay for some.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   

But with both of those options, there is a process, that doesn’t include pitchforks, tar, feathers, or tears and black masks.

Party pooper! I was getting excited until you ruined it.

edit on 9/6/2018 by Klassified because: extra word

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
So many confuse politics with treason.

With the system of gov. we have generally half the country is set on coup for 4-8 yrs.

Remember all the let's make obama to fail talk cause if he fails then america wins.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   
My grandfather always said that you don't have to respect the man, but you must respect the position. Even if someone like Obama or Trump occupies the office we must respect their position even if we don't like the person. Sadly, the days or respecting the POTUS have long since gone thanks to a variety of tools on both sides of the aisle.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: vinifalou

The 25th amendment which had been brought up, is another way to remove a person who isn’t fit to be in office.

I'm not familiar with the US constitution.

Can you remove someone from the office for being a jerk?

What else the "resistance" have against him anyway?

if he's a jerk in the wrong way, then the process can happen. But nowhere in that process do we get to "wing it".

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I do not know whether the op-ed printed is genuinely the work of someone (or more than one) in the WH “inner circle” or not. It seems incredulous that it could be, but then, with so much at stake, it seems just as incredulous that so incendiary a work would be presented, unchallenged, if it had not been thoroughly vetted.

Many are shouting “Treason!” and “Sedition”, but what I am reading, perhaps with undue leniency, is a desperate attempt by other-wise well-meaning “guardians” to reassure the public and a plea to that public to have faith in their government,

Regardless of what they may have heard, or may yet hear, about the current president.

“There are Adults in the room”, remain calm.

The letter claims that the writer’s (and those of like mind within the WH) is to protect the country from the harm that “some” of this president’s actions, or inactions might cause.

Yet, the writer never suggests that this president should actually “removed” from office, either by impeachment or constitutional interdiction.

It in fact, actually appears that the intent of Restistance group, within the WH, is to defend not only the country, but Trump, himself, from Trump’s own weaknesses.

In that sense, it appears to be a sort of “Intervention”; publicly staged in response, perhaps to previously attempted, but unsuccessful, private attempts, because the author(s) have been forced to acknowledge that this President is functionally unresponsive to anything but the opinions of his base.
edit on 6-9-2018 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
So many confuse politics with treason.

With the system of gov. we have generally half the country is set on coup for 4-8 yrs.

Remember all the let's make obama to fail talk cause if he fails then america wins.

Actually I don't...
Not once do I remember hearing that. In fact I voted for Obama the first time then let him fail all on his own like many other Americans. It's people who still tow Obamas line who are talking about the "resistance". To what exactly I ask?

Patriarchy?
Cool go run for office... and win.

White supremacy?
The same white supremacists who voted Obama in 2008?

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

except that's just not an option. There is no Constitutional amendment to handle usurping the office of president based on things you don't like about him. If he did things that are against the law, (high crimes or misdemeanors) then he can and should be impeached and removed from office. But all that MUST be done properly, or it's a crime in itself.

I'm having a hard time understanding how people think there is some grey area here where this may be OK. It's not and will never be OK. (if it's real)

edit on 6-9-2018 by network dude because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

It started near here...

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
a reply to: JAY1980

It started near here...

are you saying Rush was right?

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   

I said the same as him at the time.

I was correct. He ruined healthcare.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

I agree that he ruined healthcare, but I never wanted him to fail, I live here, if he failed, my life would be negatively impacted. Like it was when he failed in epic proportions with regard to healthcare. I'd have much rather kept my decent coverage for less than 200 a month. I could go to the doctor back then.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join