It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 8.1 EQ off coast of Fiji

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Another day, another large EQ... Today, this EQ was off the coast of Fiji.. A magnitude 8.1 earthquake hit 123 km east south east of Suva, Fiji, at a depth of 669 km, the U.S. Geological Survey said on Thursday. Thankfully, The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said no destructive Pacific-wide tsunami was expected, and there was no tsunami threat to Hawaii. An 8.1 EQ is a very serious EQ, but thankfully it was at great depth, but one has to wonder if this could potentially lead to more large EQs within the region, leading to destruction, Tsunamis, etc. The ring of fire is always active, and historically, we've seen very large EQs coming from this region. I know the depth won't worry most, but I hope this wasn't some precursor of sorts for something even stronger (at a more shallow depth)... This EQ hit in the early morning, so its unsure if there's been any reported damage to parts of Fiji (or neighboring islands) yet.

Article

*** I will add updates as they begin to come in. Stay tuned.

Edit - I'm seeing that it may have been dropped from an 8.1 to a 7.8, but still, that's a major EQ any way you slice it.
edit on 6-9-2018 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

Wow, that was a deep one.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: vinifalou

Wow, that was a deep one.

Thanks for sharing.

No problem! And yes, very thankful this one is deep!

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   

I got an eerie feeling California is due for a big one in the LA area sooner rather then later .

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gargoyle91

I got an eerie feeling California is due for a big one in the LA area sooner rather then later .

Yea, I've had that eerie feeling too. I live in downtown Seattle, and I'd be lying to you if I told you I didn't think about the "big one" (9.0+) that's expected to hit sometime in the near future off the west coast... All you can do is be prepared and have plans in place for if/when it happens, well, unless you want to move, which isn't something I'm looking to do right now.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Not far from the M 8.2 a few hundred kilometers from Ndoi Island back on August 19th. Both are about equally deep, too.

It's a real subduction mess in the region, the Pacific Plate is subducting under the Australian Plate in one area, and in another, the reverse is going on. It's no wonder they get such deep and not so deep behemoths once in a while, that's a lot of rock mashing against each other going in opposite directions. Those subduction points alone aren't that big of a deal, every plate has them, it's just a clusterf# and then some right there in that particular spot.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Being prepared for such a disaster is ones responsibility. As you all know, the quake in Hokkaido left millions of people without electricity. And water. The severity of this quake is maybe being down-played due to Fukushima, but here it is all news. House were lifted up, streets looks like a roller coaster ride. We just had a quake 2 days ago also here in southern part of Japan, things are looking scary and I truly wish they'd shut down these nuclear power plants.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Got my Coors Light and Chicharones, a couple bags of Chicken quarters, I'm good

a reply to: musicismagic

Indeed I think something big is on the horizon for the Ring of Fire and Pacific areas. The indicators are all there it seems.

edit on 6-9-2018 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

top topics

join