It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 dead, 4 critically hurt in shooting at Fifth Third Bank in Cincinnati

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Two people are dead and four are critically hurt in a shooting at Fifth Third Bank in downtown Cincinnati Thursday, the Associated Press reports.

"Active shooter incident being investigated at Fifth Third Bank at 511 Walnut Street in lobby and loading dock," a police spokeswoman said. "More details to follow."

2 dead, 4 critically hurt in shooting at Fifth Third Bank in Cincinnati

Well, unfortunately, we have a mass-shooting incident that just happened in the heart of downtown Cincinnati. I don't have much info at this time, but as the title notes, two are confirmed dead and four are critically injured. This took place in the 5/3 Bank building.

This is a very populated area of downtown, so while this is tragic as it is now, it could have been much worse.

The television is telling me that the lone shooter has been taken into custody.
edit on 6-9-2018 by SlapMonkey because: coded things weirdly

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   
My wife and I used to work in that building downtown. I hope no one I know was harmed. I am still looking for more information.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   
According to Vice Mayor Chris Smitherman, one of the critically injured people is the shooter--as reported on Fox19's live broadcast.

Also, they said that the shooting occurred in the lobby and loading-dock area, with as many as 10 shots fired, according to witnesses.

All of this info can change as time progresses, so don't treat it as gold.
edit on 6-9-2018 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

It's tough to find right now unless you're watching live broadcasts. I have a friend who works near there whose building elevators were shut down during the incident.

ETA: I'm wondering the motivation--it is a bank building, but who knows if he was there for the bank or for someone specific or whatever.

I ALWAYS carry when I'm downtown...I don't feel so silly about doing so now.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Now the news is claiming unconfirmed reports that one of the dead victims is the shooter. We'll wait and see, I guess. There's a media brief happening, and then there will be a statement hopefully shortly.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

My first thought was that a local passerby took out the shooter long before CPD showed up.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

It's possible, but who knows. I'd like to think that this was stopped as soon as possible, but we don't know.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
It sounds like it was in the branch near the elevators that go down to the loading docks. It isn’t really in the offices of the main tower.

ETA the CEO is actually above the branch and not in the main building. They are connected by the lobby area where the shooting took place. The branch is on the 2nd floor not the ground floor. There is a bank of elevators in the branch lobby and a freight elevator around the corner. If you go up you end up in the CEOs floors and if you go down the freight elevator you end up in the loading docks.
edit on 2018/9/6 by Metallicus because: ETA

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Oh I wasn’t thinking an upstanding citizen. Just, well you know the area. People get a bit upset when things go down in their area unsanctioned ahead of time.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   
wkrc is reporting the shooter is dead, but the police aren't saying much yet.

wkrc local12

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Chief of Police is briefing the mayor at Fountain Square ahead of press conference. So only a matter of time before we find out more

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I'm willing to bet it will be domestic dispute related.

I haven't been in the building myself. I've walked by it hundreds of times but never went in.

But someone earlier mentioned there was a fifth third branch on the first floor next to the freight elevator . If this was a bank robbery it's like a scene out of a Quinton Tarantino movie.
edit on 6-9-2018 by 14377 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: 14377

It is likely a disgruntled employee. I could easily see that considering the way the bank treats some of their employees. My wife’s first comment was “I’m not surprised”.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Either disgruntled employee or domestic issue is my guess. Long shot might be disgruntled bank customer who may have lost everything and blames bank.

Too many looneys in the world.
edit on 6-9-2018 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Police Chief Comments:
    - Officers engaged shooter in lobby, killing him.

- Three of the five other victims are also dead.

- No understanding of motive

- No officers hurt

- Everything happened in loading dock and lobby of 5/3 Bank tower

- Investigation is ongoing, but no belief of other immediate threats in the area

- Has not seen the weapon involved, but one was recovered (can't comment on which type or how many yet)

- Don't know if the suspect shot himself or the officers did it

- Lockdown on building will be lifted soon

- At least three or four officers engaged the shooter

- They are trying to secure security-camera video and have bodycam footage

From Mayor John Cranley:
    - Officers killed and stopped the threat "very quickly"

- All first responders are heroes

- "in my opinion, all solutions need to be on the table" in response to dealing with mass shootings

- Witnesses say that it appears that random shooting was involved, not individual-specific

- The power of cities to regulate guns as been dramatically reduced over the past few years

From Councilwoman Amy Murray:
    - We need to address mental illness as a means to change the mass-shootings

edit on 6-9-2018 by SlapMonkey because: removed comment that would predictably derail the thread (but will head that way anyhow, I'm sure)

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   
As soon as we see how the media is covering it, we can tell what's up

If it's a Liberal going after a big banking, little coverage
if it's an hipanic, lower coverage
If the guy shoted allahu akbar before the shooting, lower coverage still
if a black guy was in a domestic dispute, almost no coverage
IF a good guy with a gun stopped it, no coverage

If the guy was a Trump supporter, 24/7 coverage till next weekend. WIth David Hogg all over TV

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

The television is telling me that the lone shooter has been taken into custody.

This is what they really need to focus on in these mass shootings. Taking them alive. If they know there's a high chance of being taken alive and sentenced to life in a #hole prison maybe they'll think twice.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

That info has changed--the shooter is dead.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I was just playing the odds with my statement. One of the leading causes of shootings in the US is domestic violence. But for mass shootings in a situation like this. I think you've got the drop on me with disgruntled employee .

edit on 6-9-2018 by 14377 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: 14377

I think you've got the drop on me with disgruntled employee .

Want to bet a nickel ? Lol

You can ask the family of the victims--I'm sure that they're happy to bet a nickle on the motive of the murderer of their family members.

Let's be a little more appropriate, huh? People died for no reason, and we may never know why. Betting a nickle and then laughing about it is not right.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join