It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Secret to Nothing

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

originally posted by: InTheLight
a reply to: DividedByZero

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. Iris Murdoch.

I would also add that another great task in life is to not only find reality but to also become aware of all forms of reality including the ethereal, which may be the quantum world where particles pop in and out of existence in an instance. So, in one instance there is something, in the next instance there is nothing.

There is only the void appearing as what is appearing............a thought pops out and then disappears, a sensation arises and disappears........all that arise falls back to nothing and was made of nothing

The appearance (a thought for example) and what seems to be aware of it, arise as one seamless happening.

Emptiness is forming.

We have no understanding of true reality, so we can only share our realities, our experiences, as they appear.

True reality cannot be understood..............what would understanding reality mean? It would mean you had a story to tell about it.......but reality is not a story.
Here and now is alive.
Can what is actually appearing now be put into words? It is constantly changing...words would not be able to grasp it.

Some people have told me that they have never experienced nothingness or emptiness (those with active minds, those that cannot shut off their minds/consciousness), others can step into emptiness in an instance. We can only share here but we are all on different paths and experiences of personal reality.

No one can experience nothingness..................if there isn't any thing then how could anyone be there to experience it?

Nothingness isn't something that can be achieved...................it is a realisation, a recognition of what is always the case...but was overlooked, missed because there is a belief in things.

Ever wondered what the word 'Spirit' means?

edit on 6-9-2018 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

A state of quiet and peace with the mind at rest and in darkness is as best I can explain being in a state of nothingness, although I believe we do not have the correct words to explain some specific states of being or aliveness that we experience.

My perception and descrpition of my spirit and it's ethereal and physical form may differ greatly from your perception of your spirit. Again, we all experience this aliveness in our own way, on our own path.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   

This life experience could be split into three states that happen every day....waking state, dream state and deep sleep state.
What is experienced in deep sleep? Are there any things appearing in deep sleep (in your experience)? Are you even aware of your own existence? Is there anything at all?
This could be the nothing/nothingness.

It may seem that that nothingness is only present while in deep sleep but it is the back drop to what appears...similar to the tv screen prior to it being switch on.

You may take yourself to be 'something' which appears in the image that is here when waking occurs................but it could be recognised that the body and mind and world all appear as one image.

The tv screen is emptiness and when waking (switching on) occurs that emptiness is full........full of a moving image of light.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Nothing is the medium in which something exists.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   

bringing nothing into existence is the only evil. If you don't think so then you're too close to it.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   
it's not a solution, no one learns there.

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 01:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar

originally posted by: DividedByZero
Sorry, but for most of my life I have wondered where we came from, how life began and other big questions about the universe and I will continue to wonder about these things till my last dying breath. It is human nature to be curious after all

I'm with you, I suffer from the exact same illness.

I will also be searching for answers until my last breath also.
Unfortunately that thinking already shows that we don't expect to find these answers.

I often wish I could just believe in the flying spaghetti monster.

Is a foolish answer better than no answer?
I'm really not sure, I envy the religious who aren't burdened by unanswerable questions.

Hiya KU.
Perhaps you are on the cusp?
Resonates here, because the thoughts you mention, were parts of my journey as well.

Seems like you have mentioned a few different pieces of a jigsaw puzzle, and are examining them.
If they did fit together: what might that look like?

What if those big questions that x/0 discussed, are indeed unanswerable?
What if you stopped seeking, and just ... whatevered?

What if there is no last breath to be seen from here, but only this breath?

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Could it be that the concept of “nothing” or “nothingness” cannot exist in physical reality? Think about it for a minute. Whether we imagine the space between planets in our solar system, the farthest or most remote location in the vastness of the universe, every single spec of space contains gases at the very least.

To put it more simply, imagine you walk into a dark room, you switch on the light and see there is only a chair in the centre and “nothing” else. You might think to yourself, “I can’t believe there is nothing but a chair in here!” but what of the molecules/particles that make up the atmosphere of the room like gases and light, or life not visible with the naked eye like bacteria?

On the internet, I have many times come across the argument that “something cannot come from nothing”, especially in relation to the origins of life itself. But, what if there was never really nothing and there has always been something, just that all energy was arranged in a different way so that life or consciousness did not have the awareness to recognise itself before, whereas now it does?

Or another analogy: imagine you are swimming in a big pool and decide to swim underwater for a bit. When you are underwater, all your movements and anything you do will be under the immersion of water. There would be little difference between waving your arms in the pool and waving them outside in the cool air other than one has more liquid and the other has more gas, but importantly, there is always something everywhere whether that’s in solid, liquid or gas form.

Life – and all physical matter – would therefore, in my opinion, be rearrangements of energy that has become aware.

Why look for nothing, amongst the universe of things?

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 05:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin

Could it be that the concept of “nothing” or “nothingness” cannot exist in physical reality? Think about it for a minute. Whether we imagine the space between planets in our solar system, the farthest or most remote location in the vastness of the universe, every single spec of space contains gases at the very least.

To put it more simply, imagine you walk into a dark room, you switch on the light and see there is only a chair in the centre and “nothing” else. You might think to yourself, “I can’t believe there is nothing but a chair in here!” but what of the molecules/particles that make up the atmosphere of the room like gases and light, or life not visible with the naked eye like bacteria?

On the internet, I have many times come across the argument that “something cannot come from nothing”, especially in relation to the origins of life itself. But, what if there was never really nothing and there has always been something, just that all energy was arranged in a different way so that life or consciousness did not have the awareness to recognise itself before, whereas now it does?

Or another analogy: imagine you are swimming in a big pool and decide to swim underwater for a bit. When you are underwater, all your movements and anything you do will be under the immersion of water. There would be little difference between waving your arms in the pool and waving them outside in the cool air other than one has more liquid and the other has more gas, but importantly, there is always something everywhere whether that’s in solid, liquid or gas form.

Life – and all physical matter – would therefore, in my opinion, be rearrangements of energy that has become aware.

Looking out at a universe of things one may believe that one is a thing...............and it is known that all things have a beginning and an ending.
What is seeing and knowing there is an appearance? Is it a thing?

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Yes even empty space is full of energy. The Hindu's believe creation occurs when the breath of Vishnu exhales. With destruction occurring when Vishnu inhales. Each cycle lasting 311 trillion years.

Nothingness can only be experienced from within. Entering a state where you cannot perceive any bodily sensations - no sensation of skin, no sensation of breath, no sensation of heartbeat, no sensation of mind (or dreams). Everyone has the means to experience nothingness. If they have the desire to do so.

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Hiya KU.
Perhaps you are on the cusp?
Resonates here, because the thoughts you mention, were parts of my journey as well.

Seems like you have mentioned a few different pieces of a jigsaw puzzle, and are examining them.
If they did fit together: what might that look like?

What if those big questions that x/0 discussed, are indeed unanswerable?
What if you stopped seeking, and just ... whatevered?

What if there is no last breath to be seen from here, but only this breath?

These questions could pre-date humanity, many people smarter and more educated than me have failed to answer the question so any belief I may have the answer would just be arrogance and I'd suggest only proves that I've misunderstood the question.

If that's the case then the result of seeking or not seeking would be the same in regards to these questions. To misuse a Carlin quote which came to mind..

"As for me, I'll be home on that day doing essentially the same thing as you; the only difference is when I get finished masturbating, I'm gonna have a little something to show for it, folks."

The idea that there is only this breath seems to be disproved by the breath that follows. It could be true however I lean more towards the opposite with the idea that all breaths exist at once and the separation of first breath, now breath and last breath is a misunderstanding that clouds our judgement.

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Nothingness is probably the greatest source of will power, and creativity one can achieve...in a really weird way.

I do remember coming across a Hindu quote from a Song Of God, and cant recall the exact words, but it was stating that by accepting nothing, one does not become bound karma.

Yea nothing in this post helps.
edit on 7-9-2018 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Specimen

No mind!!
The Awakening of Intelligence is a book in which J Kristnamuti discusses the intelligence that is prior to and beyond thought. And I watched a documentarty about a physicist that was employed to come up with insights....he was not getting any insights and spoke to his boss saying 'You are paying me all this money and try as I might nothing is coming' - the boss said relax, sit back do nothing and don't try or worry.
It is when there is no thinking that the most eureka moments happen.
And I remember watching the Last Samurai and he was told 'no mind'.
edit on 7-9-2018 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   

if i snatch the sun right out of the sky i could do voodoo that disproves science in everyone's face but i couldn't do nothing. Judgement for doing nothing lasts longer.

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   

no, it hides and shows you a mirror while it looks at nothing. It knows how to see what a thing sees i bet.

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   
because my trigger finger itches
a reply to: Nothin

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   

It's hard to make something out of nothing, let alone articulate the concept of nothing.

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

Looking out at a universe of things one may believe that one is a thing...............and it is known that all things have a beginning and an ending.
What is seeing and knowing there is an appearance? Is it a thing?

No thing. Just seeing. Just looking. Sometimes 'thinging'.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join