It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Force admits an RQ-4 Global Hawk went down off the coast of Spain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Looks like the USAF lost another Global Hawk. In this case it was this June 2018 off the coast of Spain. This crash occured just over a year after another RQ-4 crashed into a mountain side in California. It appears that the wreck was salvaged and currently resided at the base in Rota. A Safety Investigation Board is ongoing and no conclusions have been reached. The RQ-4 have been pretty busy keeping tabs on the Soviets and run pretty frequent patrols over the Med and Baltic states

www.thedrive.com...
edit on 9/5/18 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT
Looks like the USAF lost another Global Hawk. In this case it was this June 2018 off the coast of Spain. This crash occured just over a year after another RQ-4 crashed into a mountain side in California. It appears that the wreck was salvaged and currently resided at the base in Rota. A Safety Investigation Board is ongoing and no conclusions have been reached. The RQ-4 have been pretty busy keeping tabs on the Soviets and run pretty frequent patrols over the Med and Baltic states

www.thedrive.com...

OMG Fred, When did the Soviets return???

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: NightFlight
Made me laugh so hard...

Not only "He" is back in many countries around the world, no, the soviets are back too.

Let the games begin!

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: NightFlight

Pretty sure they never left.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightFlight

OMG Fred, When did the Soviets return???

Seems like they never left. If you guys think the present day Putin regime is ANY different that the Cold war Soviet ones you haven't been paying attention LOL. Its a apt reference IMHO

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   
The RQ-4 costs more than an F-35A:
RQ-4: US$131.4M
F-35A: US$85M

That's a significant loss of equipment.

-dex

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

They're quite a bit closer than that. The F-35A in LRIP 10 was $95M, the B $122M. I'd have to check, but I don't think that included the engine, which added about another $10-14M.

The bigger hit was the loss of capability. We don't have a large Global Hawk fleet, and if it turns out this was an EQ, that hurts worse.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: DexterRiley

They're quite a bit closer than that. The F-35A in LRIP 10 was $95M, the B $122M. I'd have to check, but I don't think that included the engine, which added about another $10-14M.

The bigger hit was the loss of capability. We don't have a large Global Hawk fleet, and if it turns out this was an EQ, that hurts worse.

Only the Pentagon would buy a product with the disclaimer: "Engine sold separately"

LOL. I know it's more complicated than that. But that was the first thing that came to mind...

-dex

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Looking at the recovered section a couple of thoughts.

The engine was torn clear of the housing but the intake stayed intact. The wings were sheered off at the root at some point either on the impact or by aerodynamic force. If it directly impacted into the sea I would have expected the intake to have been taken out by the engine.

So Im going with Loss of control prior to impact with the ocean and resulting forces either tore the engine from the mounting and sheared the wings at the root

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   

It really got jacked up good.

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Honestly, it looks like a fairly low speed, nose high impact.

posted on Sep, 7 2018 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580
Damn Dolphins vandalizing equipment again...

edit on 7-9-2018 by Blackfinger because: sentence

top topics

join