It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now eye contact may be considered discrimination or racism

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

I think the charge goes to the parent.
The invalid cannot account for his own behaviour and it’s up to their handler (parent) to keep the person in check.
Same thing goes if your in the checkout line at the store and the lady infront of you is not minding their kid. Kid freaks out and bites you on the back of your leg... parent gets sued... kid might end up getting put down.

When I was young I had monthly doctor appointments to keep this type of behaviour at bay.
By the age of 13 the doctor declared I beat Down syndrome.
From then on I’ve seen it written down in my file on more than a few occasions
“Beat Down Syndrome”

But ya, parents fault 100%...wait what was the question again?

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22
Here in the big ghetto, it’s called a stare down..it can get you violently attacked. Interesting to note, in the wild many animals attack when stared at. Maybe the human race isn’t so evolved after all!

Comment made by passenger on inner-city bus: "You've looked so deeply into my soul, I'm going to have to kill you."

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Some years ago I was walking with a friend through a parking lot when 2 young Black men were passing the opposite direction. I said "hey guys, what's up?" and one of them jerked around and said "the sky ____er _____er!". Rather taken aback I asked him if he'd prefer I ignore him and act as if he didn't exist. His friend calmed him down and they walked away.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
My choice is to err on the side of recognizing a person and not to ignore them.
edit on 5-9-2018 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Aallanon

It isn't to often that I actually LOL, but that my friend was coffee spitting out worthy

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whatthedoctorordered
And when the courts are flooded with ridiculous suits , and cases because the west has gone off into the crazy end of the pool, the judicial system is going to have to finally step in and say "ok enoughs enough, we dont have the resources to deal with this retarditry"

You mean like these retards?

www.splcenter.org...

www.techdirt.com... ction.shtml

en.m.wikipedia.org...

I agree!!

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
I'm a white guy. What happens if I look at another white guy? I'll try it later and let you know what happens.

I had a problem in my last workplace (an open plan office) with a couple of senior managers who used a rubber chicken to signal that they had completed milestones. All through the year, at random points during the week, there would be a loud squeaking sound. Invariably this would be when I'm right in the middle of writing a document, debugging software, or writing code and make me make mistakes. To mitigate this problem, I'd wear headphones.

Then when I was assigned one particular heavy-duty task that required really deep concentration, it wasn't more than 10 minutes into settling down to do this work, then there would be a load squeaking of this rubber chicken. Each and every day, morning, afternoon, before lunch, after lunch, evening. Never happened when I looked in that direction. Couldn't understand it. Had to set up a webcam to find out what was going on behind my back.

On the first day, I realized that one of the two managers would look in my direction, then squeeze that chicken then go back to work as if nothing had happened. Then I decided to confront him each and every time he did this. I'd spin round in my chair and stare him down. This battle took a week and escalated each day. I found out the two of them were taking turns to see if they could make me jump in my chair. The side effect was that it was giving me a headache, brain fog and ultimately a DVT and arterial ulcer.

Then on Friday, I walked in and overheard him "When I sees someone sitting still, I thinks they are asleep, so I decides to wake them up. I gets the rubber chicken and gives it a big squeeze.". For weeks, I had been unable to make progress on this task because these two bozos had been more interested in playing games than working professionally.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
I'm a white guy. What happens if I look at another white guy? I'll try it later and let you know what happens.

I had a problem in my last workplace (an open plan office) with a couple of senior managers who used a rubber chicken to signal that they had completed milestones. All through the year, at random points during the week, there would be a loud squeaking sound. Invariably this would be when I'm right in the middle of writing a document, debugging software, or writing code and make me make mistakes. To mitigate this problem, I'd wear headphones.

Then when I was assigned one particular heavy-duty task that required really deep concentration, it wasn't more than 10 minutes into settling down to do this work, then there would be a load squeaking of this rubber chicken. Each and every day, morning, afternoon, before lunch, after lunch, evening. Never happened when I looked in that direction. Couldn't understand it. Had to set up a webcam to find out what was going on behind my back.

On the first day, I realized that one of the two managers would look in my direction, then squeeze that chicken then go back to work as if nothing had happened. Then I decided to confront him each and every time he did this. I'd spin round in my chair and stare him down. This battle took a week and escalated each day. I found out the two of them were taking turns to see if they could make me jump in my chair. The side effect was that it was giving me a headache, brain fog and ultimately a DVT and arterial ulcer.

Then on Friday, I walked in and overheard him "When I sees someone sitting still, I thinks they are asleep, so I decides to wake them up. I gets the rubber chicken and gives it a big squeeze.". For weeks, I had been unable to make progress on this task because these two bozos had been more interested in playing games than working professionally.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I don't know if I'd be weeded out or not, if I am though I guess it won't matter.

You can be sure of one thing though, I will be among the ones fighting, not protesting and crying about micro aggressions and feelings.
Guessing that kind of world would be right up your alley, I want no part of it.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I was taught that it rude to stare.
Very few classy manners anymore.

S&F

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: DanDanDat

You missed the key word: YET

"So I read the article....

The article is about HR management and work place culture and diversity... it's not about bringing discrimination lawsuits against people who look at you funny. "

Don't believe me:
Woman sued workplace over coworker wearing perfume and WON
"Employee wins $100K over allergy to co-worker’s perfume"
www.safetynewsalert.com...

www.foxnews.com...
basically i'm saying if someone will sue over perfume, they will sue over weird googly eyes that prevent them for doing their work properly or something like that....

I have an allergy to most perfumes that results in a migraine. Depending on the perfume it could occur in seconds. That affects productivity. However, I would never sue over it. I just try to avoid the people that wear it. Some I believe use it in lieu of bathing.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   

first off, I am a minority woman

was this you?

Yep...I wonder who gets to count how many glances are too much and how will this be presented in a lawsuit.

Pretty f#ed up world

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: openyourmind1262

hahahaha

Just in case our younger members are new to Marty Feldman

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified
And I'm funny looking...how does that work?

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Very rude of William Prescott at the battle of Bunker Hill...GW probably wrote him up for that.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I feel like racism is kept more alive with each daily click-bait article written about it.

I grew up in Baltimore City. I've seen racism and I've seen a heart warming sense of community. Racism will likely never go away from any sides, "minorities" being guilty of it as well but somehow find theirs more justifiable.

I've accidentally got lost in a thought once without realizing I was staring at someone (a white girl) and I am a white girl. She came right up to me and said "You better smile when you look at me B####" so I have been more aware of my facial expressions when I look at people. I think as long as you're smiling or seem nice about it, eye contact is not unfriendly. I'm sure in some cases it can be creepy

Anyway I went off on a tangent. My apologies (;

Stop seeing the color of the cop, your neighbor, your enemy, and just focus your adjectives on their intent. That's my take on it. But what do I know.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

I thought about that after I wrote my reply. Hell, probably most on here don't know Sandy Duncan or Donna Mills....Sammy Davis Jr I'm sure, Your right.....Marty Feldman eye's need to be shared with the younger crowd.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: openyourmind1262

I felt old the other day when people don't know about Mork as in Mork and Mindy. We old so so old!

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Are you allowed to look at them if they're robbing you?

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wildmanimal

I was taught that it rude to stare.
Very few classy manners anymore.

S&F

What if they are totally irresistible?

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Why do you say scope out the black man? Why not just scope out the man?

A good-looking man is a good-looking man.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join