It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senators blast Google executives for not showing up to hearings on election meddling

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   
This is not a good look. With Google being a C_I ran project,are they receiving special treatment?

The Senate Select Committee on Intelligence pointedly set up an empty chair to shame Google parent company Alphabet. Google tried to send its top lawyer to the hearing on foreign interference in U.S. elections, but the Committee wanted either CEO Larry Page or Sundar Pichai to testify alongside executives from Twitter and Facebook.

While the committee wouldn’t accept Google’s counsel in lieu of Page or Pichai, Walker submitted testimony anyway and will be in Washington this week taking meetings and giving briefings, according to a Tuesday blog post. The testimony outlined Google’s new guidelines for political ad disclosures and states that Google continues to remove bad actors, like the Kremlin-affiliated Internet Research Agency, that try to mislead users. However, the Center for Accountability published a report on Tuesday that seemed to highlight the challenges of keeping deceptive content off of Google’s platforms: The organization posed as the IRA and was still able to buy and target politically divisive advertising.

Sometimes an empty chair can speak volumes. The Senate Select Committee on Intelligence intentionally set up a unoccupied seat to shame Alphabet at Wednesday’s hearing on foreign meddling in the 2016 U.S. presidential election. The Committee wanted either Alphabet CEO Larry Page or Google chief executive Sundar Pichai to testify alongside Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey and Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg, but the company offered its top lawyer and SVP of global affairs, Kent Walker, instead. That decision rankled Committee leaders Sen Mark Warner, D-VA, and Sen. Mark Burr, R-NA, who rejected the substitution, hence the pointedly vacant chair.

www.cnbc.com...
edit on 5-9-2018 by Sabrechucker because: add

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Propaganda hit piece.

Funny how potus slams google last week for being leftist with results and this week certain congressional members create an empty chair scenario to smear google.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

Do you think they didn't show up because of Trump's comments? I think they chose not to come on their own. A political hit piece is usually unverified or salacious reports. This seems verified and accurate to me.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Sabrechucker

Mhmm..

Innocent people would like to come forward and clarify things up.

Wouldn't they?

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
Propaganda hit piece.

Funny how potus slams google last week for being leftist with results and this week certain congressional members create an empty chair scenario to smear google.
BooHoo, this is blantant disregard. F#'em and smear them.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

They're Google.

That's the only reason they need.

They weren't forced to not appear, as you say, they're willingly choosing not to. Next should be, not will be probably, but should be, a Congressional Subpoena--that isn't so easily ignored.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

What would be the benefit of seemingly walking right into a subpoena. To buy time?

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: vinifalou

I never been accused of something I didn't do, and not instantly defend myself.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   
It couldn’t be Trumps own actions and words that make people dislike him. Nah.

Nope. Must be that google algorithm.

Lol.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Snubbing the senate like that isn't a very smart move on googles part.

A PR nighttmare would be devastating to their market cap.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

This is far from a PR nightmare.

That company is so large and well insulated, people wouldn't know how to boycott them even if they had a PR nightmare.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

People dislike Trump for a variety of reasons, and that's their right. It's not up to google what people see and don't see.
It's their company and if they'd like to declare "we will promote anti-trump vs pro-trump search results" Fine. Don't act like your not.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

People?

Regulation,taxation.

Brings mountains to mohammad.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   
So now google is somehow responsible for russian meddling that supposedly never happened.

I smell a foul stench.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Couldn't tell you. That reason you gave makes as much sense as anything would. Other than a corporate ego so large that they think they can just ignore Congress...

Generally speaking, it ain't wise to piss off Congress.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Snubbing the senate like that isn't a very smart move on googles part.

Google was snubbed not the senate.

Perhaps you missed the part where a google lawyer was not good enough to fill an empty seat.

Kinda shallow that the senate would choose to have an empty seat vs a seat occupied by a representative of google.

PR HITJOB

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   

They haven't been "held responsible" they've been accused. That's why they should show up and defend themselves, if innocent

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   

You think Google only has one lawyer?

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sabrechucker

You think Google only has one lawyer?

WOW!

That one was pulled from beyond left field.

Somehow i do not think you and i are on the same page.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sabrechucker

They haven't been "held responsible" they've been accused. That's why they should show up and defend themselves, if innocent

Accused of what?

They tried to send a representative and were denied.

This was not a subpoena but a request made on short notice.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join