It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Football team cancels season after 2 games

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Lykan

You are partly right.
I know several people that will not watch pro football anymore but still love college football.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
a reply to: Bluntone22

Football is falling out of favor due to CTE and other injuries. Probably not worth it given the odds of making it the Pros or even Div 1 are slim to none.

I certainly won't be encouraging my son to play football.

Hell sports injuries along can bankrupt families, in the USA, but medical bills will certainly continue for years and will land most people financially, in the streets.

Yep, sign me up. Not!

Medical debt

Single emergency room visit can cost 10k plus. smh

College debt

and more.

Risk assessment is physically and financially pragmatic
edit on 5-9-2018 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I have a US friend who loves college football but never watches the NFL.
The crowds for college football amazes me, and their stadiums.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Edumakated

There doesn't seem to be a participation problem in my area. Several youth league are running and our high schools have plenty of players.

I think the concussion problem is overrated in football or at least until college. My daughter had one last year that she got playing volleyball.

A lot of sports that are contact have concussion risks and problems. They play it up with football because there are a lot of people who want it to go away. It looks bad to have it as a sport because it's not "international" like soccer and a lot of others.

I've seen nasty concussion in soccer, basketball, etc., that rival anything in football, and in soccer you've got players heads routinely in contact with the ball and in close proximity to high force kicks.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I also think kids have lost the quality of perseverance.

Too many parents let their kids go out for a sport or activity, and then when junior says they're tired of it after a couple of days or riding the bench a bit or losing badly, they just let them quit.

Not enough people teaching kids they finish what they start.

My parents raised me that way, and I only received permission twice to quit something I'd started and only took them up on that once. It was basketball. There's a story there, but the long/short of it is that the coach should never abuse his players like that. I had too much self-respect.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Cheerleaders get some nasty injuries too.
Apparently that's not considered a sport so schools are not required to have a trainer present.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Not enough people teaching kids they finish what they start. My parents raised me that way, and I only received permission twice to quit something I'd started and only took them up on that once.

So they want to try something they are just plain stuck.
Funny how people forget these are kids. Not playing a violent sport is not going to ruin their lives.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

I agree with most of what you said. Quitting will not ruin the kids future in this instance.

But these kids are not new the the sport so they didn't try something new and just didn't like it.
They didn't have enough players to be competitive so they decided to end the season.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

is anything i said a lie?

i didnt say anything about how tough each one is.
i was talking about CTE risk

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   

We used to play this one small rural school. They had more than 16 but nothing like the other schools we played. They had size (their line was huge), they had a few talented players but half were playing both ways and special teams with many in basically every play.

Needless to say they didn't win many because they were always out of steam before the half. I don't think I'd have done it.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   

This is in Healdsburg which is in Sonoma County, Wine Country. This school used to have a very large Hispanic student ratio, so the Soccer team and Cross Country teams are usually top of the league...

What I didn't read is this: The parents of many of the 'would be' players are 'illegal' and they work at the wineries all through Sonoma and Napa County and then 'move on' when the crops are gone. Almost 'transient' in nature, following the Sun; work.

So figure out what portion of the football season coincides with the harvest. "The Harvest" is way more important than watching 145 lb. linemen try to move the line of scrimmage.

Also upcoming is The Harvest Fair at Sonoma County Fairgrounds.

So quit now or later when the grapes have been picked.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: Edumakated
I agree in many ways, different games, but spines get broken every year in the UK on rugby pitches.
It is a dangerous sport when scrums collapse, boots hit heads etc. I'm only mentioning rugby because it was what I played, and my son does now. I can relate in the full contact sense for this conversation at least.

I played both football and rugby as a youth and loved them both. WE called Rugby smear the Q with the ball, cant say that now, and football wasn't very much more brutal in that respect. No pads didn't stop some of those wild men from knocking hell out of you.

My college Rugby club was playing against another and they stopped the game being way ahead of us and said we were like NFL Football style and Rugby is more of a 'gentlemanly game', if you can believe that. So they proposed to knock the s*** out of us if we didn't play more gentlemanly and some of us, not me, said go to hell at first and agreed to follow there lead after thinking about it more as a team. We still got womped but had fun after, drinking beer and cussing like sailors.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
I have a US friend who loves college football but never watches the NFL.
The crowds for college football amazes me, and their stadiums.

Yes, the crowds are huge at several college stadiums and the we have smaller stadiums in the NFL. People prefer College where the players are hungrier and underdog teams have a better chance. People like rooting for a small school to beat a Michigan or Penn St like Appalachian St almost did this week and they have beaten big Michigan twice in the recent years.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: Gothmog

is anything i said a lie?

i didnt say anything about how tough each one is.
i was talking about CTE risk

Ignored , your reply is off-topic and not needed

If you feel the need to speak of CTE , start a thread on that topic.

edit on 9/5/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 10:30 PM
link   

So, if your kid signs up for a season of something and gets two practices in, he or she should just be able to bail and leave the other kids in a lurch?

What does that teach all of them? It won't hurt a kid to see that if he or she signs up for a season of ... say soccer, that they are in for so many weeks of practice and so many games. Nothing says they have to sign up for any soccer again, but for that one season, they should follow through and finish it up. If they don't think they can do that, then they shouldn't sign up to begin with. Typically, it's about two months for grade school kids.

Are you saying that two months of commitment will kill them at that age and that they cannot do anything else while they play soccer?

Funny how so many kids manage to do so much.

The point of it is to start teaching commitment. If you say you are going to do a thing, you follow through. It also teaches perseverance. Nothing lasts forever, certainly not a youth activity because younger kids only have so much to give. But it's not wonder no one can continue to keep going these days, you all let your kids quit after tough times I guess.
edit on 5-9-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 12:07 AM
link   

What does that teach all of them?

I guess you would have to see my kids and the lives they have lived to answer that.

Personally I hate all sports and idea of competition with the attitude that goes with it.

My son played football and quit for band. When you are a kid you should be able to try the shoes and see what fits but I see no reason kids should risk their health so everyone else can be happy with them.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   

And I'm not talking just about sports, either.

What if your kid tries out for the school play, lands a part, and decides about 2/3 of the way through rehearsals that the "shoes don't fit"?

You let him or her quit and leave the other kids in a lurch? Sure there's probably an understudy, but basically, your kid let the whole production down. They counted on your kid to be there like he or she said they would.

My point is that sometimes, kids need to learn that if they commit to do something, they ought to see it through even if it gets hard, or inconvenient, or it just wasn't what they thought it would be. We don't always get to just quit in life and that lesson starts being learned young. It's also about learning how to handle responsibility. If you say you are going to do a thing and others depend on you, then you should follow through --- sports or no.

Heck, on reflection, I've got a good example of this in a non-sports setting:

My oldest nephew is a lot like I was. He does a bit of everything in school. Sure, he does the sports, but he also does debate and forensics, too. So, he was signed up with about five other kids to go to a debate tournament last year. Guess what? He was the only one who showed. The others all bailed without warning leaving him in lurch early on a Saturday morning. So all he got to do is go wander around the tournament all day. Couldn't compete or do much else.

Because all those kids up and quit. Too hard to get up early on Saturday! Who cares about the other kids depending on them to show up?
edit on 6-9-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Because all those kids up and quit. Too hard to get up early on Saturday! Who cares about the other kids depending on them to show up?

It's learned behavior from their adult peers.

Adults quit everything basically they quit marriages, they quit by drinking themselves into a drunken state to leave their miserable realities, they quit by taking prescription meds because the pain is to great, instead of changing their MO, they quit by being nasty combative humans online and in life, instead of being decent constructive people, they quit by accepting misery as a way of life, and find ways to blame others for their state, they quit by eating improperly and gaining weight, and on and on.

So maybe when kids are quitting everything, there's a high probability they just mimicking their role models.

We are a narcissistic self-centered blame society for everything, that will not look within, and take personal responsibility with what is happening externally. We only need to look to what transpires on ATS daily to see this, or FB.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

Kids are a completely different thing, they should be able to take time and even lay in bed half the day on weekends. Soon enough they will have all the heavy loads to bare, they should be able to have fun and not be under pressure from everyone to perform.
Being responsible can be taught by little things, they already have school and homework and a million things to worry about, why does everyone want to put a load on them from day one.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I'm confused as to why the JV team of 30 players wasn't brought up to the varsity team.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join