It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump advocates banning protests

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I've still yet to see how Trump looks like a dictator, though if he eventually really started abusing powers and pushing that direction, it would be because his two predecessor's laid the ground work. Obama really went to town with that by breaking records on how many whistle blowers and journalists his administration went after with the espionage act.

I'm 100% convinced this is already the case and Trump has been in severe (and possibly even criminal if Congress would actually bother to investigate this) violation of the emoluments clause in the Constitution since day 1, but that is a discussion for an entirely differently topic.

Though as far as Trump's words go, you are probably right that his words here aren't sincere as are many of the things he says. The problem is that you just don't know when he IS being sincere. He says so many things off-the-cuff, but any given off-the-cuff quip could come back and become policy at a later date with him. This is why liberals get concerned when he says things like this with no pushback from his supporters.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

originally posted by: underwerks

a reply to: underwerks

peaceably

you are so right
just not in the way you intend to be

Speech you don’t agree with isn’t violence. I realize that’s lost on a lot of people around here.

you are correct again
just not in the way you intend

I posted the code of conduct for congressional galleries earlier in this thread perhaps you should read it

it is back to what you posted earlier that peaceable word
that is not lost on you is it?

Again, how were they not peaceable?

I’m sure you have examples of some sort of violence being carried out. Let’s see them.

Had they simply followed the code of conduct for the gallery this would not be an issue. Admission to the gallery is not a right, is it?

Why would violence be needed to not be peaceable?

What types of speech do you classify as violent?

I do not, but violent and not peaceable are not the same thing. You wouldn't be mistakenly conflating the two?

The SCOTUS has defined some speech as unprotected tho....
www.law.cornell.edu...

Fighting words are, as first defined by the Supreme Court (SCOTUS) in Chaplinsky v New Hampshire, 315 U.S. 568 (1942), words which "by their very utterance, inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace. ... Fighting words are a category of speech that is unprotected by the First Amendment.

It’s interesting to see the ATS free speech brigade argue in favor of laws controlling speech.

Thanks.

Pointing out scotus decisions is in no way arguing in favor of them.
Thanks

You used it to defend your point, so in this context, yes it is.

You’re welcome.

No i did not.
The scotus rulings in no way have anything to do with speech not protected in the congressional gallery.
Funny you confused the two tho...

I’m not conflating anything. Do you believe in free speech or limits on free speech?

Simple question.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
How much can Trump supporters take? How much proof do you need that your hero is a fascist-leaning demagogue?

Tell you what, when he's put you in chains... when the progressives of America are locked in prison, minorities all shipped back, liberals dead at the hands of his brown shirts, the women enslaved and the children all seized for re-education, then I will be the first to stand up and say "OMG, he's a fascist!"

Until such time, you continue to talk out your ass on this topic and I will hold your opinion with about the same level of respect and consideration as I would express towards a rogue fart.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

I've still yet to see how Trump looks like a dictator, though if he eventually really started abusing powers and pushing that direction, it would be because his two predecessor's laid the ground work.

No, it would be because he chose to do that. Whether other people laid some kind of nebulous groundwork to get us there is beside the point.

We shouldn’t have people in our government (especially as president) that see that as an option. Under any circumstances.

I don't like Trump, but I'm not buying into the hysteria just because he was talking about what happened on the Senate Floor, and people take it out of context to frame it as if Trump is going to make protesting illegal.

Like he could if he wanted to.

We're talking about the guy that rips on the media all the time, but I haven't seen him treat them as poorly as one of the more recent guys sitting in the oval office.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Tell you what, when he's put you in chains... when the progressives of America are locked in prison, minorities all shipped back, liberals dead at the hands of his brown shirts, the women enslaved and the children all seized for re-education, then I will be the first to stand up and say "OMG, he's a fascist!" Until such time

It’s sad that it would take the wholesale slaughter of American citizens for people like you to believe you were wrong.

I think I’m starting to see part of the problem here.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

a reply to: underwerks

peaceably

you are so right
just not in the way you intend to be

Speech you don’t agree with isn’t violence. I realize that’s lost on a lot of people around here.

you are correct again
just not in the way you intend

I posted the code of conduct for congressional galleries earlier in this thread perhaps you should read it

it is back to what you posted earlier that peaceable word
that is not lost on you is it?

Again, how were they not peaceable?

I’m sure you have examples of some sort of violence being carried out. Let’s see them.

Had they simply followed the code of conduct for the gallery this would not be an issue. Admission to the gallery is not a right, is it?

Why would violence be needed to not be peaceable?

What types of speech do you classify as violent?

I do not, but violent and not peaceable are not the same thing. You wouldn't be mistakenly conflating the two?

The SCOTUS has defined some speech as unprotected tho....
www.law.cornell.edu...

Fighting words are, as first defined by the Supreme Court (SCOTUS) in Chaplinsky v New Hampshire, 315 U.S. 568 (1942), words which "by their very utterance, inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace. ... Fighting words are a category of speech that is unprotected by the First Amendment.

It’s interesting to see the ATS free speech brigade argue in favor of laws controlling speech.

Thanks.

Pointing out scotus decisions is in no way arguing in favor of them.
Thanks

You used it to defend your point, so in this context, yes it is.

You’re welcome.

No i did not.
The scotus rulings in no way have anything to do with speech not protected in the congressional gallery.
Funny you confused the two tho...

I’m not conflating anything. Do you believe in free speech or limits on free speech?

Simple question.

I believe in the right to peaceably assemble; you are the one who seems to have an issue with the "peaceably" portion.
The only limits on free speech are to the government (other than public safety concerns or are you against those as well), but I have no doubt you understand this concept.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: projectvxn

I already have said what I mean. The point of what I said is to let you draw your own conclusions. Seeing as how you got triggered for me talking about historical racism I see that you came to a certain conclusion that you didn't enjoy. Hence the personal attacks and ad hominems against me.

You just admitted to trolling.

Nice job.

Making you do your own thinking is me trolling? Damn. I'm sorry I made you use your brain man. Don't take it so personally.

However, you are sitting pretty in a glass house throwing stones right now since you've been trolling me and insulting me since you entered the thread.
edit on 5-9-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

This is why liberals get concerned when he says things like this with no pushback from his supporters.

This was taken out of context and framed as if protesting is in jeopardy of becoming illegal. Something he does not have the power over.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   

I've still yet to see how Trump looks like a dictator, though if he eventually really started abusing powers and pushing that direction, it would be because his two predecessor's laid the ground work. Obama really went to town with that by breaking records on how many whistle blowers and journalists his administration went after with the espionage act.

You haven't been reading the right fake news. The media has been advocating that Trump was a dictator since the get go, even before he was in power. It is no strange wonder that people are inclined to believe it, despite the lack of supporting evidence.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
Something he does not have the power over.

This is frankly why I don't believe this will ever be implemented. I was more speaking generically there and just using this recent case a spring board to get my point across.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

The only thing you did was add racial context that didn't belong.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Your point is based on bull#.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

“I don’t know why they don’t take care of a situation like that... I think it’s embarrassing for the country to allow protesters. You don’t even know what side the protesters are on… In the old days, we used to throw them out. Today, I guess they just keep screaming.”

fake news. read his words, not the one's you stuck in his yum. Want to see less pathetic lies on this site? Stop posting pathetic lies like this.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Your point is based on bull#.

"However, you are sitting pretty in a glass house throwing stones right now since you've been trolling me and insulting me since you entered the thread." ETA

Case in point

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   

I've still yet to see how Trump looks like a dictator, though if he eventually really started abusing powers and pushing that direction, it would be because his two predecessor's laid the ground work.

No, it would be because he chose to do that. Whether other people laid some kind of nebulous groundwork to get us there is beside the point.

We shouldn’t have people in our government (especially as president) that see that as an option. Under any circumstances.

I don't like Trump, but I'm not buying into the hysteria just because he was talking about what happened on the Senate Floor, and people take it out of context to frame it as if Trump is going to make protesting illegal.

Like he could if he wanted to.

We're talking about the guy that rips on the media all the time, but I haven't seen him treat them as poorly as one of the more recent guys sitting in the oval office.

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck...

I think the only thing that’s stopped it so far is that the founders of this country had experienced tyranny first hand and made sure to guard our country from it through our institutions.

The same institutions Trump tries to dismantle every chance he gets.

Coincidence? Or does Trump mean what he says when he laments how Americans aren’t as loyal to him as the people who live under the dictators he showers praise on?

link   

a reply to: burdman30ott6

Tell you what, when he's put you in chains... when the progressives of America are locked in prison, minorities all shipped back, liberals dead at the hands of his brown shirts, the women enslaved and the children all seized for re-education, then I will be the first to stand up and say "OMG, he's a fascist!" Until such time

It’s sad that it would take the wholesale slaughter of American citizens for people like you to believe you were wrong.

I think I’m starting to see part of the problem here.

Quote it.

Quote where Trump said wholesale slaughter.

link   

The only thing you did was add racial context that didn't belong.

According to you, but then again you apparently get triggered at the drop of the hat when race is brought up. So I really don't give a hoot what you think about my point anymore. You clearly are only looking to troll me, insult me, and generally be a pest.
edit on 5-9-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: Willtell

“I don’t know why they don’t take care of a situation like that... I think it’s embarrassing for the country to allow protesters. You don’t even know what side the protesters are on… In the old days, we used to throw them out. Today, I guess they just keep screaming.”

fake news. read his words, not the one's you stuck in his yum. Want to see less pathetic lies on this site? Stop posting pathetic lies like this.

To be fair, you could take a few words from this statement, remove them from their context, sprinkle in a little fear-mongering and yellow journalism, and still have enough to force your fevered dreams to believe the results.
edit on 5-9-2018 by NiNjABackflip because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Something he does not have the power over.

This is frankly why I don't believe this will ever be implemented. I was more speaking generically there and just using this recent case a spring board to get my point across.

You're giving an unintended victory to him then.

The amount of hyperbole all his critics give off make it all unattractive. How am I supposed to take anything seriously if I know people are using buzz words to try and scare me into thinking I'm under the rule of a dictator?

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   

You started with an erroneous and unnecessary reference to racial injustice to say what, exactly? What was that point you were trying to make again? Was is that Trump is racist? Maybe all of us in this debate are racist again?

Once again, put it back in the deck. Being obtuse and evasive about your idiotic points doesn't make you the smartest guy in the room. It makes you an insufferable troll.

edit on 5 9 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join