It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple Spent Homeless Vet's $400k

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Deplorable

Knew this would turn out to be a scam. I'd say a ,ot of these 'fund me' schemes are scams!

Gosh, they didn't give him anything at all.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Human nature in all its flawed greatness. Bobbit's great act of giving her the $20 and her great act of starting a GoFundMe are a credit to them. Then it's all spoiled by greed and drugs. Bobbit's sold a camper and a SUV and is still homeless. He's spent $75k in 9-10 months...on the streets...which sounds like a heroin habit.

The couple will have started off with great intentions until the greedy little voices started whispering in their heads. "He doesn't really need all this money. It'll go on drugs. Somebody will steal it from him. We'll look after it. We're good people. Why shouldn't we have nice things?"

I'm surprised to say I feel sorry for all concerned. It looks like a case of theft or obtaining money by false pretense.

Yup.

The homeless guy smoked up what little money he had and the couple decided to take some for themselves (knowing the homeless guy was just going to run to his local plug).

Two things going on here. First, people have this fantasy that your typical homeless guy is just "down on his luck". In the vast majority of the cases, there is some underlying issue; usually drug addiction, that is the actual cause of the homelessness. It isn't lack of job, affordable housing, or some evil company just keeping him down. Regardless of the homeless guy's moment of clarity, he is still a crackhead. Giving him a bunch of cash doesn't fix being a crackhead.

Also, many of us who are street smart, have seen these scams before. Bums around my way constantly look for ways to be "helpful" in the hopes that it will result in some spare change for their habit. Opening doors. Walking old ladies across a street. Giving directions. He may have saw it initially as give this chick $20 and maybe I get $100 back as a thank you.

Last, far too many people simple don't understand that a not so small percentage of people are not all that honest on many levels. GoFundMe is rife with fraud and abuse. Giving people cash with no strings attached is the surest fire way to see it pissed away no matter what the original intentions may have been.

The couple may have been mostly honest, but once you have $400k cash sitting in YOUR ACCOUNT, your mind starts wandering considering all the things that could fix their lives, not the homeless guy. Paying off debts and buying other trinkets and sh*t.

I can see the thought process... this crackhead gives me $20. Great. Nice of him. Now all of a sudden, $400k is raised on this guy's behalf. Yet, here I am, the one who created the campaign, sitting here living pay check to pay check while the crackhead now has $400k that he will most likely smoke up and be back on the streets. It won't hurt for me to get a little taste of the proceeds.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   

What I find ironic is that "charities" do this to us all the time. Where is the outrage. A lot of people
don't even know that Goodwill is not a charity, they are a business!

Are these two people scum, of course, but they are also playing the game. They just got caught.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

First, people have this fantasy that your typical homeless guy is just "down on his luck". In the vast majority of the cases, there is some underlying issue; usually drug addiction, that is the actual cause of the homelessness.

And then there are the people that just write the homeless off as just deplorable addicts. The REAL fact is, the vast majority of homeless suffer from mental health problems and/or trauma. Their drug/alcohol problem is a result of their self-medicating in order to help deal with their larger problem.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Something about this seems off, and not the couple alone. I've been paying attention to comment sections in various news articles, and it seems there's a number of people claiming they gave him a LOT more than he says (i.e all of it) and he blew through it via old debts, giving it away, booze, drugs, etc. It might not be that out of the question, big jackpot lottery winners can go broke faster than a homeless guy with a couple hundred grand.

Before we tar and feather the two, we really should wait and see what the records inquiry finds. If that shows they did in fact end up giving it to them, piecemealed or not, then it's gone of his own poor handling, not theirs.

Na
They went on national tv and stated the day before trial that he had 150k left then the next day after texting the man and asking him to drop his lawyers they went into court and said the money is gone.

I think they have it in an account somewhere...maybe crypto

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: jtma508

originally posted by: Edumakated

First, people have this fantasy that your typical homeless guy is just "down on his luck". In the vast majority of the cases, there is some underlying issue; usually drug addiction, that is the actual cause of the homelessness.

And then there are the people that just write the homeless off as just deplorable addicts. The REAL fact is, the vast majority of homeless suffer from mental health problems and/or trauma. Their drug/alcohol problem is a result of their self-medicating in order to help deal with their larger problem.

Chicken or egg... who knows and it doesn't matter. The bottom line is the vast majority of the chronically homeless are drug addicts and a can short of a six pack. Giving them cash doesn't fix the problems as to why they are homeless.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Here is an article from a week ago.

www.newsweek.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
homeless vet has better morals & ethics
than these entitled scum

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Maybe watch some homeless interviews on this channel.

www.youtube.com...

Just picking one out:

Anyways when you on the street (alone) you would also get drunk often most likely to deal with that way of life, also more so when people often threat them like trash as well..

edit on 5-9-2018 by Pluginn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Meth

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Pluginn

how dare people buy him food from burger king and McDonalds. How can he buy meth if people wont give him money whats wrong with you people?

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Not sure if serious but you think he's a meth user?

He said he ain't using drugs, of course he could be not saying the truth but anyways for many its hard without some drugs for just dealing with such a life out there.

He hates that when people just throw some hamburgers at him over and over again... he gets plenty of those, rather give him something he can really use as he said (like a toothbrush, a towel (his words), or giving him a choice at least which he can make himself.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Every god in every religion on earth says don't f*ck with poor people. Makes you wonder where god killing machine lives?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join