It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mad Dog General Mattis Torches Bob Woodward For 'Fiction' Anti-Trump Book

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I don't believe the sources because of confirmation bias. I believe them because Woodward has a sterling career as a journalist that stretches nearly 50 years. 50 years that have relied heavily on using anonymous sources and yet he has never been found to be fabricating his stories. He may get a few details wrong here or there not once has he been found to be making up sources of what they have said.

That's why I believe that Woodward is reporting exactly what he was told and experienced.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: alphabetaone

All that, as I said above, could very well be true.

But why are some so willing to believe the "anonymous sources" without even knowing who they are?? Because it confirms they're preexisting bias.

That's not at all accurate. Not even slightly accurate. There is such a thing as track record and those with a propensity for lying have that as their legacy, meanwhile those who have a track record of being accurate have that as their legacy. Donald Trump, until confronted by officials typically in courts of law and under great duress, is forced into telling the truth, Trump University is proof enough of that, along with the $25 million in restitution. Donald Trumps legacy is one of a liar, LONG BEFORE he even thought about politics. You don't need any type of pre-existing bias to check someones record and let your eyes tell you all you need to know in that moment.

When it comes to the "War on Accuracy", Donald Trump lost that war a long time ago. The real question is of some bias? Why do some constantly tout the accomplishments (next to none) of a dangerous liar sitting at the apex of our political structure? (Please note the difference between a dangerous liar and a liar, all politicans lie and typically because they have to and OFTEN probably should) Have they forgotten this is ATS and denying ignorance used to be a thing? Outright embracing dangerous lying, is the antithesis of that very premise.

Being passionate about politics, policies, foreign relations, domestic infrastructure is one thing...espousing the idea that dangerous ignorance (which DJT is the epitome of) should be the new norm as long as he "tariffs and stuff to our benefit" is incredibly stupid and the American people simply wont let it continue. That isn't policy, its revenge.

Further confirmation of that bias comes when those same folks disbelieve the denial by those "quoted" individuals.

Maybe how you're seeing it is the reality. I don't know. Nor does anyone else. If I'm wrong, it'll hardly be the first time.

Yea, same with me, I don't have enough fingers to count the number of times I've been wrong, nor do I claim that I'm seeing the actual reality....what I refuse to do though is allow someone to tell me that black is white, up is down, or that "I have all the best words, all the best people, am a stable genius, have a great memory the BEST memory" without proving it to me, and thus far it's 0/10.

Back to the track record, when it comes to "quoted" individuals, Woodward has a track record of 10/10 and that's why people are apt to believe him.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I find it very sad that you, and most of your mindset, will believe a person writing a book based on 2nd hand stories and anonymous sources, but dismiss direct statements to the falsification of the writings by the actual people he is writing about.

Equally fascinating (sad?) is that you can listen to the words coming from Trump's own mouth (or twitter account - daily. Or in the past - going back years...) and sill believe that these quotes are made up

:-)

Does Mattis seem like someone that would be impressed by a man like Trump?

For the record - I don't know if any of this book is accurate. It's hard to have an opinion these days now that the word credibility is no longer credible. Just saying - obvious CYA is obvious

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
trump said he knows more than most generals. is it really that hard to believe that mattis thinks he's an idiot?

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scrutinizing

Anyway, terrorism is supposed to be bad, uncivilized, not an American value, right, at least on paper? (Though it's really, "Do as I say, not as I do.") What does it say to have a person we call "Mad Dog" in the cabinet and at the head of the Department of Defense? Maybe he was an effective general, but wouldn't a mad dog be, like, a crazy, a terrorist? A rabid animal? Is that the image the United States wants to project?

Just a thought. Like, how do you send Mad Dog on a goodwill tour? And think of this, Patton, one of the greatest generals in history, was beside himself that WWII ended, probably wasn't the best guy to have in a policy position?

Honestly, I have to ask if you are serious?

Do you not understand the difference between defense of The United
States vs Terrorism? It seems you are equating the two?

If so, that is thinking that ranks right up there with the
worst kind of savage dictator the world has ever seen....

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: burntheships

He kept the identity of Deep Throat for decades bud.

Perhaps because it suited his own agenda?

You do realize that Woodward is employed by The Washington Post?
Not exactly a bastion of truth, caught many times posting fake news.

And should also take into account that the owner of The Wa Po
and President Trump have been at odds as of late. So this appears
that Bezos is using his best attack dog for personal vindication.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Flip side of that argument is Mattis has a sterling record of honesty and integrity, (even when being honest got him fired) yet in this case one of them is not telling the truth.

Until evidence is provided neither of us is wrong.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

There is a third option. Mattis never actually issued that statement considering the only source for it so far is Trump's Twitter.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: vinifalou

There's plenty of reasons for anyone to make things up against a political opponent

He's not a political opponent. Lol.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Doesn't matter. Anyone who says anything bad about trump is automatically the lowest scrum on earth and their entire career a fallacy and a sham, their family friends and their vet and babysitter are all questionable because of the association. Nothing they ever said in their lives can ever be believed and Hillary.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Wow, the denial is strong with this thread.
Can someone pass the pringles and beer? I'll be over here watching and grinning. Woodward's book confirms everything I've ever thought about Trump. He's a small-minded tiny-handed ignoramus who's waaaayyy out of his depth.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   

What agenda would that be? Over the years Woodward had been offered tons of money to reveal the identity of Deep Throat.

Regardless of your opinion of the Washington Post, point to even a single instance of Woodward making up a source or lying about what a source said over nearly 50 years.

Woodward doesn't need the Washington Post. He makes more of his books and lectures than he does working there. So why would he abandon his professional ethics that he has upheld his entire career just because Jeff Bezos and Trump have beef with each other?

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

What agenda would that be? Over the years Woodward had been offered tons of money to reveal the identity of Deep Throat.

Did it ever occur to you that Deep Throat was an Intelligence Community Source?

How far back do we need to go with the FBI to realize they insist on being
a power unto themselves?

J. Edgar Hoover anyone?

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   

There is a third option. Mattis never actually issued that statement considering the only source for it so far is Trump's Twitter.

From the DOD:

Statement by Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Well, who hired him to write the book is.

edit on 5/9/2018 by vinifalou because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

From the DOD:

Statement by Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis

Thank you, I appreciate your linking that.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   
nevermind, they’re suffering too much already
edit on 5/9/2018 by vinifalou because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   

No problem - I was curious too. Bunches of articles - not one named the source

edit on 9/5/2018 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Thanks. So far the only source I had seen was Trump.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Trump has started a witch hunt to ferret out the people that spoke to Woodward and heads will roll.

Bye Kelly Ann....

www.rawstory.com...

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join