It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illuminatus Trilogy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Famous, or infamous, book by Robert Anton Wilson, and Robert Shea.

Has anyone here read it (I am reading it)? Or familiar with R.A. Wilson, and his 'societal' connections?

The back cover jokingly claims that 'only parts [are] works of the imagination'.

If no one has read it, would any one be interested in me posting excerpts?

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by akilles

If no one has read it, would any one be interested in me posting excerpts?

Here's an excerpt from his "Right Where You Are Sitting Now."

www.rawilson.com...

I first encountered Wilson through reading his introduction to Israel Regardie's biography "The Eye In The Triangle: An Interpretation of Aleister Crowley". Since then, he's become one of my favorite modern authors, even though he's a little too Crowleyan.

His home page is www.rawilson.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
what a great book!!! Ive read Illuminatu!, shrodinger's cat, and the masks of the illuminati
R.A. Wilson is my favorit author
what a fantastic book!
you'll like it a lot!

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
ahh - my favourite author & my favourite book
don't just stop at the illuminatus trilogy but read anything robert anton wilson has written. his books dont just 'make' you think - they 'force' you to think - something i can say i haven't ever encountered in any other author (& ive read a lot of books!)

i bought the illuminatus for my friends birthday present after telling her there was no way i could tell her what the book was about but that it was like the matrix red pill/blue pill thing - you have to read it yourself to see how deep the rabbit hole is

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Fnord

*Free online version...*

[edit on 23-2-2005 by Emmett_Dabru]

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Anyone find anything interesting in the book, which is verifiably false?

For example, John Dillinger much more likely to work for the Illuminati, than against. Much more likely that he was using 'symbolic' language to signify this fact, than to stick it in the President's face, as R.A. Wilson states.

Any one know anything about Robert Shea?

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Any one know anything about Robert Shea?

robert shea wrote several books (www.fantasticfiction.co.uk...) as well as editing playboy. his books are quite hard to find though i have seen a few on amazon.

he died of cancer in 1994. coincidentley/wierdly/sadly not long after an internet rumour was put around that robert anton wilson had died (which suprised him greatly when people started calling his home to offer their condolences). this was covered in robert anton wilsons book 3 of the cosmic trigger trilogy, 'my life after death'.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 07:45 PM
link   

The books are fiction, not meant to be taken literally. The purpose of Wilson's writings are to inspire illuminated consciousness.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light
The books are fiction, not meant to be taken literally. The purpose of Wilson's writings are to inspire illuminated consciousness.

How dare you defile akilles' thread with reasonable intelligent commentary (it's a joke, no offense to the other posters heheh)!

So I haven't read either of these authors... give me a taster, willya? A brief synopsis, if you will.

I heard they (The Illuminatus Trilogy) are better than Dan Brown's efforts, but to me that would be tough, TDVC and A&D were extraordinarily good, IMO. But I digress...

So how about it, break it down for me fellas (without giving away too much of the story of course).

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 12:35 AM
link   
RAW mingles in a little Hassan bin Sabbah like Burroughs did in his writing...the maxim, "Nothing is true, everything is permitted" is the one I recall

MasonicLight...that seems to be a problem with most things...people take them too literally. But RAW's opus shouldn't be dismissed as paranoid, conspiracy theory nonsense fiction...He designed Operation Mind# to intersperse bits and pieces of real history and current events in his fiction...enough to bump the reader right out of their reality tunnel...if thats illumination, nifty...It is a lot like waking up or becoming aware you haven't been fully conscious all this time.

I have heard RAW dabbled in the OTO in the late 60s and early 70s...

BTW...RAW wrote a near perfect description of a masonic first degree ritual in the first of his lesser read Historical Illuminatus Trilogy: And the Earth Will Shake...I took a class from him online on "Conspiracy, Code and Coincidence"...here's a link to the course...
maybelogic.org...

RAW, despite his vast knowledge of masonic history and symbolism evident in his work, is not himself a mason...I know because I asked him:
ME
RAW are you a mason?
either way, what are your thoughts/opinions/experiences?

I have investigated for a year to the point of handing in my application tonight (for a second time)...more out of curiosity than anything else.

since reading your historical illuminatus books I wondered what your own thoughts were and really want to know what you have to say before I get myself into something because of false assumptions I have made...

HIM
I am not a freemason.
I avoid joining groups with oaths of secrecy.
LINK:
maybelogic.org...

RAW, Tamahu (who posts up here) and my older brother were the chief influences in my decision to stop attending the lodge I had visited for a year. I am finding more of what I was looking for in the 5% Nation of Gods and Earths...no external authority will ever set I free

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Thank you.

He purposely mingles true history with the false, to make one assume it is all false, or alternatively exactly as he describes it.

Knew he was in OTO or something, I bet RA Wilson was more scared of something that had membership lists, than something that requires oaths!

I think it is safe to say the Illuminatus Trilogy is a crowning moment of Operation Mindf*ck.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 02:28 AM
link   
It was the year when they finally immanentized the Eschaton ...

Fond memories. I was living in England when The Trilogy came out. Waited breathlessly each month or two for the succeeding book to come out. It was profoundly enlightening from the original thought point of view. (It makes you think)...

I recommend it to anyone entering what was called "Chapel Perilous". And always remember, "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you".

Hail Discordia!

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by azraeltheonionpeeler

MasonicLight...that seems to be a problem with most things...people take them too literally. But RAW's opus shouldn't be dismissed as paranoid, conspiracy theory nonsense fiction...

Agreed, and that wasn't my intent. Wilson is no conspiracy theorist, he's sort of "new age guru" akin to Timothy Leary and Carlos Castenada in that regard. Both Wilson and Castenada have mingled truth with fiction in order to make their teachings available to a mass market. Wilson hasn't claimed his books are literally true; rather, he just invites us to think outside the box.

I have heard RAW dabbled in the OTO in the late 60s and early 70s...

I think that Wilson is still a member of O.T.O., although I don't know the specifics. I know that Aleister Crowley is one of his influences. His comment about not joining organizations with secret oaths may contradict this, though.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light

what is illuminated consciousness?.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   
This book is one of my all time favorites . When i was finished reading it I felt as though my brain had been flipped over. I never saw the world the same. I read it almopst 12 years ago. I have a question though and maybe someone who has read it recently or has a copy can help. How does Chicago play a role in regard to the Leviathan specifically Lakeshore dr.?? Doesn't it , Leviathan ,attack a bridge in Chicago ??Thanks

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Awesome books, awesome ideals, real eyeopener. Between the idea that the Pentagon is a prison, to Leviathan, to the climax when one of the characters makes probably the funniest realization I've ever read in print, these books are wonderful! Have fun reading them, and keep plenty of Advil standing by. Some of it puts some serious strain on the brain.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   
It 's worth mentioning that this book is also a great work of guerilla ontology, which more or less will *re-program* you giving you new insights you didn't have before.
I've read it several times, (once entirely on the toilet, too much information or utterly apropo, you be the judge) and I honestly believe it prepared me for things such as 9-11, the "war" in Iraq, al-qaeda, etc...
The crazier things seem to get, the more it all makes sense, the more you see the connections. Invisible hands are indeed moving the pieces....

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
If you want to get a real feel for Wilson, you need to really delve into his books... Many interesting concepts and thought trails. He is, I think, trying to make serious topics fun. Fun (there's the "F" word in print) makes learning much easier and retention much better.

Tjack has a good handle on it, but yet again, one can not take anything as the last word.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I thought Wilson's "Illuminatus" was one of the better satires I've read.

And if you consider "Lord of the Rings" or "Bambi" to be scholarly and truthful, then it makes sense -- sort of -- for you to believe that ther is any literal truth in "Illuminatus."

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I picked up a used copy of "The Historical Illuminatus Series: The Earth Will Shake" at a Chicago bookstore called Myopic Books. I mention it because the store's logo features an eyeball amid geometric shapes, sort of like the eye in the triangle cover of the book. So far it's a great book taking place in Italy in the 1700s and dealing with masons, illuminati, monks, and so forth (he gets pretty close to "revealing" a ritual).

I'm not far into the book but I like the way R.A. Wilson describes the "science" of music.

[edit on 6-12-2005 by 2nd Hand Thoughts]

<<   2 >>

join