It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Typhoon Jebi Rips Into Japan Video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   

After months of Northern Hemisphere wide heatwave , this is the strongest Typhoon in 25 years , at 135 mph winds : worth a watch .

Tunes for pinching floaty tech from the Japs?

edit on 4-9-2018 by ZIPMATT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Good grief that's some scary stuff......but what on earth do they make their buildings out of? rice paper? I know a typhoon is damn strong but those buildings were getting peeled like an orange!

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ZIPMATT

Incredible footage. It looks almost apocalyptic!

Why were people on the highways anyway during a typhoon. You would think they would be hunkered down.

Those buildings just peeling apart like that. Wow..

Hope there's not a big loss of life. Japan is a very dangerous place to live.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhyllidaDavenport
Good grief that's some scary stuff......but what on earth do they make their buildings out of? rice paper? I know a typhoon is damn strong but those buildings were getting peeled like an orange!

not rice paper (although they used to). what you see coming off the buildings seems to be Styrofoam. they do the same thing in the Philippines. they clad the outside of many buildings with Styrofoam, then of course paint it. i have no clue why they do that, but they do.

forgot to say, but that Styrofoam is just glued onto the buildings. so of course it can easily just peel off in high winds. not something that seems to be wise in areas that tend to normally get hit by typhoons.
edit on 4-9-2018 by generik because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: generik

Oh right thanks for that info. Is that due to being a hurricane/earthquake region? Seems a strange thing to do and a fire hazard but I know little about styrofoam I admit but at least that stuff flying around shouldn't kill folk

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhyllidaDavenport
a reply to: generik

Oh right thanks for that info. Is that due to being a hurricane/earthquake region? Seems a strange thing to do and a fire hazard but I know little about styrofoam I admit but at least that stuff flying around shouldn't kill folk

no i don't think it has anything to do with being in a typhoon/earthquake area. especially since after posting i remembered i have seen this done on buildings in North America as well, notably commercial buildings such as Wal-marts and other retail store buildings. my suspicion is that it is actually about the adhesion of paint. these more environmentally friendly acrylic and latex paints that we use these days do not adhere well, especially on cement like the old lacquer and enamel paints. they always end up literally peeling off of cement walls.

and you are right i would think that it poses a significant fire hazard. especially in areas where a fire has a bad habit of burning out many people. and we are talking about huge fires when they get going which can end up leaving hundreds of people homeless (and i am not talking about apartment buildings burning down). in fact a few years back a row of 8 or 9 homes were totally destroyed across the street and there was concern about it both jumping across the street as well as the autobody shop that was next to the of end the line. the shop borrowed our hose and were doing their best to keep the fire from spreading while the fire companies worked to put the fire out. and what seems to have stopped it at the other end from taking out even more houses, was that that house was pretty much stripped down to the cement at that time as the people were rebuilding it and adding another story or two to it, so there was nothing to burn, just the cement walls and floors. and i would think when it peels off in huge sections like we saw in the vid, it could well kill someone.

top topics

join