It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-35C damaged in operational testing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   
The Navy has been flying 6 F-35Cs from VFA-125, a fleet replacement squadron, and VFA-147, an operational squadron from the USS Abraham Lincoln as part of an Integrated Air Wing Test. Both units are from NAS Lemoore in California. The purpose of the testing is to integrate the aircraft with other aircraft of the air wing during routine operations.

During the test, an F-35 from VFA-125 was refuelling from an F-18 from VFA-103 when pieces of the refueling drogue went down the intake of the aircraft. The F-35 landed back aboard Lincoln, while the F-18 returned to NAS Oceana. Damage was listed as a Class A mishap to the F-35 (in excess of $2M in damage) and a Class C mishap to the F-18 ($50,000-$500,000 in damage).

news.usni.org...

news.usni.org...

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

That's sounds bad, I'm surprised they all made it back in one sorta whole piece.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

So am I to be honest.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Even landed back on the carrier. Probably more out of proximity bUT still risky.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

We used to see a lot of broken baskets with F-18s refueling. It got so bad we told the Navy they could only send KA-6s to the tankers and they'd have to refuel them. Usually though, when the basket came off it landed on the probe with the other aircraft.

It would be interesting as hell to be in the shop when they tear this engine down.
edit on 9/4/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Damage was listed as a Class A mishap to the F-35 (in excess of $2M in damage) and a Class C mishap to the F-18 ($50,000-$500,000 in damage).

I can't help but lol at the terminology, 'mishap'. A 'mishap' is spilling your coffee on your keyboard haha, excess of $2M in damage definitely classifies as a Class A 'WTF moment'.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   
On the upside, the Navy got the opportunity to test the landing and recovery of a damaged JSF on an aircraft carrier. That's good experience to have prior to having to do it for real.

A new F135 engine for the JSF costs about $14 million

But, it's a pretty expensive lesson to learn. And unless the spare parts situation has improved, I'd wager they don't have a lot of F135 engines in stock.

I'm glad there were no injuries, loss of life, or loss of aircraft in this event.

-dex

top topics

join