It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yesterday we lost our best friend

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Apologize if grammar is off and there are typos, I'm just not all here at the moment.

My old lady and I woke up early Saturday morning to find out dog acting very strange. He was very lethargic and off balance. Being that it was labor day weekend we had to take him to an emergency clinic that was pretty far from home. We got there and they went to take him in for x-rays. The doctor came back not even 5 minutes later and said, "I don't need xrays to tell you what's wrong" It was Lymphoma. They said they would call us the next day to let us know the results of the lab work and blood work. They gave us steroids to try on him, this made matters worse. By the next morning he couldn't stand or move, if we gave him his medicine he threw it up immediately. It didn't look good. Roughly 2 hours later I got the call. I did the best to hold my composure while I was on the phone because I didn't want my significant other to freak. I could only hold it for so long. I hung up the phone and lost it, I said "I'm so sorry sweetie" and just hugged her. What the doctor told me devastated both of us. He had kidney failure, little to no white blood cell count, Lymphoma, and a few others. In other words there was no medicine for him. We stopped the steroids immediately because that was only speeding up the process of the kidney failure. The doctor told me, which I already knew.. Quality over quantity. About 1 hour later he died laying in our laps. I'm really shook up by this and I know she is to. The last few seconds of his precious life are noises and sounds I'll never forget. I can't stop thinking about it. After we both calmed down a little bit we knew we had to take him to be cremated. That's what we were wanting do to regardless. I wrapped him in a blanket and put him in my back seat and off we went. On top of already being devastated by his death and the noises, I had to carry his stiff body into the emergency clinic. I couldn't handle it.. I was shaking, I was mess.

Does anybody have any suggestions for coping with this? We'll be able to handle the fact that he's past and is now in a better place. I just can't shake these noises I heard.

RIP DE BOY, Mommy and Daddy love you.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: slapjacks
I truly share your pain.

My Lazarus that we have had since he was 3 weeks old, died in my arms on August 30th. He was 21 years and 3 months old.

Lazarus was a cat that never knew he was a cat. 3 months after rescuing Lazarus I rescued a Rhodesian Ridgeback and the 2 of them grew up together. Caleb died over a year ago, he was 20 years old at the time of his death. Still having Lazarus took some of the pain away. Now Lazarus is gone and the hole is greater than I could have imagined.

The one thing that helps me is that I know he did not suffer. I would have had him PTS if he showed any indication of pain or suffering. He stopped eating and he just went to sleep while I held him.

My house is in mourning. Only time will heal the pain. I have some amazing memories to hold on to. I have to believe that he had a great and awesome life. I hold onto that.

I feel you pain. Hold on to knowing that you gave him the best life you could give him.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Oh no, I am so sorry for what you are going through! Having lost dogs to disease in the past I've had that pain. I won't say I understand what you're going through because everyone's pain is different, but I do sympathize! The only thing I can say is "Time" heals.

I had two Husky's, both of which I lost in similar circumstances as you. Both dogs died in my arms at the emergency vet (not at the same time). The grief and pain is just unbearable, I know.

Please hang in there. You gave him an awesome life and he loved you, and he knew even in his last moments that you were there to love and protect him, just as much as he loved and protected you.

Such is the life of a dog owner, that we know we're going to lose our best friend way too soon, but we still want them as part of our lives. The pain is worth the short time we have with them and I'd do it a thousand times over.

I don't know what your belief system is but I believe that the first thing we'll see after death is all of our beloved pets waiting there to greet us. Maybe take some comfort in knowing you'll see him again.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I am really sorry to hear about your loss. I understand how you feel. When my 16 year old cat died i cried real much and like for three days on and off. I can never forget the day she has gone and it always puzzles me how the room smelled so nice when she has gone for a few minutes. I am sure your he loves you back. I pray you will feel better soon.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   

I can't tell you how many beloved pets I have lost through the years and it is just heart wrenching! What helped me was knowing that they were no longer suffering and were in a better place. It helped also knowing I gave them the best home possible with much love and joy.

I am so very sorry you had to go through this.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I’m so sorry for the loss of your loved one. Pets are truly family.

Maybe look at some old pictures of happy times of your dog

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Thank you all for your kinds words.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

It tears you up when they leave you suddenly like that.

We lost our Teddy to brain cancer and he went downhill over 4 days with increasingly severe seizures. The last ones were so violent I can't forget them still.

I felt so helpless.

I wish I could tell you something to make it better, but it's probably the worst thing I've ever dealt with with pets and I've had them with strokes even.

All I can say is time and maybe other pets. They won't replace the one you lost, never that, but they do eases the memories and make remembering a pleasure again when you recall the good times with them.

Just know your pal is in a better place. I have to believe that with all the pets I've sent on during my life. I've never lived without a critter or two.
edit on 4-9-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I, too, as many others here, have been where you are too many times. My babies are so much a part of my life. It is shocking how fast they come and go. I have always had rescues that I love too much. When they leave, there is such a large hole in our hearts and for a long time the pain remains. The details of their end haunt us. The intensity of hurt is real.

I try to remember all the joy and love, both given and received. I try to be grateful for the presciousness I was so honored and grateful to have by knowing my loved pet.

After awhile, I realize I have to focus on the present. After another while, because I am an animal freak, I find another who needs love and a safe home and welcome them into my life. It is such an honor to love again.

Doesn't mean I ever forget; that's not possible. At least I do have room to provide, care and love again.

I'm counting 7 rescues right now. I feel so lucky to have my life so enhanced.

Please know that you have much to continue to give to our animal friends. It truly is the circle of life that only one who has experienced it can understand.

So sorry for your loss at this time. You will love again-you have too much to offer not to.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Sorry for your lose. Time does heal all wounds. There is also another soul out there waiting for your love.
We had our cat Gonzo cremated and also had his footprint done in clay then fired in the kiln.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   

ALL dogs go to Heaven...

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   

I am so very sorry for your loss.
We've been through it three times....and I can tell you it never gets easier.

Some people opt to get another pet to ease the pain.
Some people opt to ride through the pain.

I can tell you that riding through the pain is hard, the hole in your heart feels like it will never mend. That you will never stop crying. That the pain will never end.
But time does heal, the pain and hurt lessen....the hole in your heart grows smaller and smaller.
How long it takes varies....I was in grief for several month, my husband less.
... and finally you will remember all the good times, the times you shared, the love you felt. It will be a great feeling.

Someone shared this with me.....
dogwithblog.in...

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   

I am so sorry for your loss. If you can find any comfort in the fact that you did everything you could for him, and dealt with his illness in the best way you knew how. I am sure you gave him love and a great life, in the end I hope that will give you peace of mind.

I think it is best just to allow yourself to feel the pain of this great loss. It's tempting to push the pain away, but just experience it.

My animal companions are my dearest friends and when one dies it is the greatest pain I know of, so I do understand your grief, It will take a while to get over it. Thank you for being so good to your dog during his life.

top topics

join