It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Two easy wins now in doubt’: Trump renews attack on Sessions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   

President Trump attacked Attorney General Jeff Sessions and the Justice Department on Monday in connection with the indictments of two GOP congressmen on corruption charges, saying they could hurt the Republican Party in the midterm elections.

“Two long running, Obama era, investigations of two very popular Republican Congressmen were brought to a well publicized charge, just ahead of the Mid-Terms, by the Jeff Sessions Justice Department,” he said on Twitter. “Two easy wins now in doubt because there is not enough time.”

“Good job Jeff......” he added, in a sarcastic comment. Calling the agency the “Jeff Sessions Justice Department” is the president’s ultimate insult, Trump advisers say.

Trump did not address the charges themselves or name the congressmen, but the tweet was apparently referring to the indictments this summer of Reps. Chris Collins of New York and Duncan D. Hunter of California, the president’s two earliest congressional endorsers.

Source

I don't normally comment on Trump's tweets but these were particularly disturbing to me. Trump has branded himself as the Law and Order President and yet here he is condemning the Justice Department for charging two GOP politicians with crimes because it could hurt the Republicans' chances in November.

Trump and his supporters keep going on about "draining the swamp" and yet here we have two people that sounds like define the swamp.

I also keep hearing about how Trump is a maverick that goes against the establishment. So then why is he defending two establishment politicians and the Party as a whole?

I'm interested to see what all the Trump supporters on here think of these tweets. To me they seem to go completely against Trump's established platform.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Strategy Strategy

💥😎💥

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

From a tactical point of view, I can see why Trump would be upset by this.

Honestly, I do not think at this point, or for that matter, even the point of view prior to his election, that anyone truly believed that Trump was running in order to drain any swamps in the first place. His aim was to ensure simply that the swamp was under one party, as opposed to being a pond at least contested in its ownership.

Realistically speaking, the fact that Trump cares more about performance nationwide, than he does about insisting that the guilty are jailed or punished, that the rule of law means less to him than looking good on paper, should not be shocker in the slightest, to anyone. I would be intensely surprised if he had turned around, and praised the justice department for rooting out the dirt, as you would expect if his words on the subject previous to election were anything to go by. I would not only be shocked, but also have to grudgingly respect his commitment to his platform, if he had. As it is, he is doing exactly what I thought he would, and exactly what his supporters denied that he would, that being proving that his double speak on the matter of law and order, and draining the swamp, were nothing but hot gas after all.

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

strategy for what?? an obstruction charge???
or is he just building himself a good case for an insanity plea???

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: xuenchen

strategy for what?? an obstruction charge???
or is he just building himself a good case for an insanity plea???

At the rate Trump is going, those 2 possibilities are not mutually exclusive.

Imagine all the scandals that rocked dnc not long ago, and because Trump can't stop tweeting, he's risking making his last 2 years in office a nightmare for all Americans. If the democratic party regained a majority, the circus that is American politics would be on circe du soleil level.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   

This whole situation in america makes me think of the old childrens story, The Emperors New Clothes.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Trump needs to shut up about this

I don’t mind his criticisms of sessions and the justice department for not looking at crimes from the dnc and the fbi

But him being upset that corrupt republicans are being looked at, and that may hurt the mid terms is unacceptable

It’s not proof of obstruction or insanity, but it is a bad look

The problem is trump wants his doj to be his wingman and ignore the law to help him politically

Just like lynch and holder made the doj for obama

It was wrong under obama, and would still be wrong under trump

It seems that not only is the doj just a tool of trump like it was under obama but it actually is against him, which is just as bad

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Strategy Strategy

💥😎💥

There is no strategy, trump is a loose canon....Always has been and always will be. Between his tweets, Cohen and Rudy, he is making a easy case for Muller.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Obviously the Justice department should only investigate democrats and serve to remove legal obsticles from the GOP.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   

I'm interested to see what all the Trump supporters on here think of these tweets.

I am glad he is tweeting.
When he stops tweeting I will get nervous.
I interpret his tweet as a call for equal and proper application of the law, others mileage may vary.
When potus steps in to stop any investigation it will be a concern.
Otherwise enjoy seeing the 1st amendment in action.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: kurthall

That is the strategy. He knows he sucks. He wants out . Lol

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

You don't think he could be effecting potential jurors? Nah of course nothing he does is a concern.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: shooterbrody

You don't think he could be effecting potential jurors? Nah of course nothing he does is a concern.

What jurors?
From the op...

Trump did not address the charges themselves or name the congressmen

It appears you are just not a fan of the 1st amendment or its use by everyone?
TLB

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   

I don't think this is about protecting the guilty. I believe it's simply about timing. If Sessions would have anounced this a few months ago the party would have had time to support other candidates.

This happening so close to election time makes it difficult to get a candidate out in the public that can gain the support needed to win an election.

If this investigation has been going on since the Obama administration I would agree the timing of such announcement is suspect.
edit on 4-9-2018 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Trump is playing intra-dimensional chess against himself and I think he forgot the rules but I still think he could beat his opponent.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

One of them has only been going on since last year.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Ya gotta love it when the Trumpets proclaim it's "strategy" and when the master of blowing his own horn, mr Trump himself keeps shooting himself in the foot.

I've heard the Trumpets say that Trump doesn't like Sessions. There's rumors that he was going to fire Sessions. Now he's saying that it's "Sessions Justice Department." But the most vociferous of the Trumpets are claiming this is totally opposite of how the PotUS feels. I wonder what brand of pillow talk they get at night... lol

As for the GOP's luck in the elections: That's up for grabs. Trump is still filling the swamp with his own brand of muck. We'll see how well he drains the treasury into his swamp creatures pockets before he fills it up with promises.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Trust Session! We will know 'soon'?

I guess we will know if this is kabuki or larp before mid term.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   

So far, Sessions has done about as good a job as any democrat could have ask for.

This is likely the reason he may well be looking for another job after the mid-term elections.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Trump has gotten the media and Dems to cheer for Session (an incredible task). If Session decided to start prosecuting the 51,000+ indictments in the near future what would they have to say? They want him now, they would be trapped with him then. But it's all could be a larp, either case we would likely know before mid-term.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join