It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘White People Food’ Is Creating An Unattainable Picture Of Health

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Chia seeds are marketed as Aztec superfood, so there drives the last nail in the coffin of Old Huff's remaining credibility.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: TinySickTears

"White peoples food"

What the actual F, is "white peoples food"?

...and gogi berries? Aren't exactly "white people" food, since the berry originates in China...I think.

IN this context, I am guessing this lady thinks of "white people food" as any food she doesn't like and that really says something poor about her.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: scojak
a reply to: StallionDuck

Collard greens, fried chicken and Kool-Aid.

As a white male, I feel pretty racist saying that, but a black woman said basically the same thing and it wasn't racist, so I'm good, right?

No. you aren't.

Remember the poor private school kids who researched a special meal for Black History Month and settled on fried chicken and watermelon as soul food, and they got blasted for racism.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I ate Mexican last night. It was wonderful once I got past his screaming.

And the woman in the Original Post is a dope.

So You ate Mexican last night so that means You "painted the rim in the bano" this morning....

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Every time I hear someone generalize about white people I laugh because they don't realize that's the exact definition of bigotry. What this person is saying is the equivalent of saying black people like fried chicken and watermelon, and they don't even realize they are being virulently racist in doing so.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Hmmm, I guess racism is subjective then.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

“For a person who needs to re-train their mind and think differently about healthy eating, that’s always gonna be their struggle; getting past, ‘This plate of food is for a white person,’” Gordon said.

i can not imagine feeling like this.

sounds like bull# to me but i guess its possible.
i dont know

I...cannot wrap my head around this. Seriously. Food is FOOD. I have had everything from Bahamas to Korea to Saudi Arabia to Thai- and everything in between. Some is good, some is not. Before my idiotic food/ gluten allergies (oh THANK YOU, STRESS), I'd walk into almost anywhere and eat anything from any country or ethnic group.

If someone is going to let racism dictate what they should eat, or even try... *shakes head*. People are getting so narrow-minded, it's actually depressing.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

But you knew this because you went to culinary school and studied international cuisine, right?

Well why you squander it by working as a cook in a titty bar?

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: wylekat

Now I want Thai food - haven't had any in years.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: wylekat

I have had everything from Bahamas to Korea to Saudi Arabia to Thai- and everything in between. Some is good, some is not. Before my idiotic food/ gluten allergies (oh THANK YOU, STRESS), I'd walk into almost anywhere and eat anything from any country or ethnic group.

Then that makes you the most "racist" person here!

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: wylekat

Pretty much.

Part of just about any good vacation is a food adventure. We eat something we've never had before. This past vacation, we had Native American and Australian (meat pies). Let me tell you ... if they made pot pies like the Aussies seem to make meat pies, they'd be far more popular.

If anyone is ever in Ft. Collins, CO, drop through the Waltzing Kangaroo. It's a tiny little bakery, but boy was it good.
edit on 3-9-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 11:12 PM
link   
OP and others did a poor job of understanding what the long article is about. It's about soul food being associated with black people from both the perspective of the black and white community, and soul food is unhealthy, therefore there is no healthy black food, is what the long article discusses. I don't really see why or what the white community online finds so offensive about what the article is talking about. Did you read it?

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I weasn't too impressed with Chitterlings. I would rather eat my pig guts around hot dogs and sausages..

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 05:27 AM
link   
a reply to: game over man

I did read it.
You must not have read my posts cause I addressed my issue

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 05:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Well why you squander it by working as a cook in a titty bar?

Probably because I like women, know what I mean? Oh wait...

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Tanisha Gordon doesn’t see what white people love so much about cottage cheese. Or salads, especially when they’re topped with fussy ingredients like candied almonds, pickled carrots or Brussels slaw.

im white and I don't see what people see in that crap either.
why does colour matter in this.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I'm so sick of my white boy diet.

Any new recipes would be great ,especially black people food because that sounds like an introduction to entirely new food ...I'm licking my lips just thinking of all these new delicacies....

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Mercedes HIlton is a Uber White Girl name? I can see where you hang out. Next on Stage, Diamond.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 07:09 AM
link   

if Mercedes HIlton( or any uber white name) didnt understand what black people love about lets say chitterlings and okra how do you think people would take it?

Article is not even about that. It's about how eating or choosing healthy food has a perception of "white people food" in the black community. I agree and it's something me and mother discuss constantly.

so why do black people apparently feel that way about white people food?

i guess i just dont get it. black people cant eat pickled onions? should they not?

the article answers that question, it's 3 skips down.

As a black woman, Gordon battled the perception that most of today’s healthy food is “white people food.”

I agree with that.

“A lot of the time, when you go to restaurants now, they have these extravagant salads with all these different ingredients in it, like little walnuts and pickled onions ― like the stuff Panera sells,” Gordon told HuffPost. “For me personally, that’s like a white person’s food. A lot of the mainstream stuff that’s advertised comes across as being for white people.
-bold emphasis is mine-

The answer to your questions is right there. Good ol' marketing my man. If more healthy choices and options were advertised to the black community, then the perception would vanish.

edit on 4-9-2018 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: cenpuppie

And my question is -- So freakin' what?

If black people let white folks live in their head so much that they now can't eat certain things because that would be "acting white," then that's on them. It's not like I turn down food because eating it would be eating Chinese people food or Mexican people food or Native people food or Middle Eastern people food or, yes, black people food (I like a certain amount of soul food myself) or any of the other ethnic varieties of food out there.

Like I said, choosing to turn your nose up at something just because it's the food of another ethnic group in your eyes really only says something about you and not about the food.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join