It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Teens in Colombia Kill Themselves After Playing Horrifying Momo ‘Game’

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: generik
what kind of generation is being raised if they kill themselves because a text message tells them to? it really does show that our society, and that especially means the schools are teaching children to be drones that just blindly follow orders. and it shows the danger of doing so.

Yeah...I don't think this is real. Who would do that? Even dumb teens aren't going to kill themselves just because they get some text message from a not-even-real-or-scary-looking meme tells them to.

There ARE detrimental effects on kids and society from our immersion in technology, but I don't think even today's kids are that far gone yet. I'm calling fake.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

Read the link in my post at the end of the first page.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I'm glad my preteen grandchildren don't have access to social media.
It's every bit as bad as I imagine and then some.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
a reply to: Ohanka

Next time before you post a horrifying image can you put an all CAPS warning....And maybe just a link along with a warning.

Are you serious??

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

Most kids these days don't even care what their parents tell them to do.

So how the hell a picture of an ugly bird on crack with grease pan hair can influence them with dares to the point of suicide is rather beyond my ability to fathom.

Unfortunately a form of natural selection really.
edit on 3-9-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
a reply to: Ohanka

Next time before you post a horrifying image can you put an all CAPS warning....And maybe just a link along with a warning.

Are you serious??

Well about the warning...yes I am. I stopped watching things like that after I got my house. Husband murdered his wife then killed himself here and I live alone. Kinda creepy here at nights so I stopped with the scary stuff.

But the link you should check out is an interesting read.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Then I'm disgusting.

There are things I worry about that are far more important than a 16 year old who is stupid enough to follow the suggestions in a f#ing text from Momo.
6 or 7 year olds is a different story but no 16 year old should fall victim to something like this.

And no I don't know how many kids are raped by their fathers, do you?
It's likely safe to say that if these kids suffered from such problem the end result would have been the same.

The loss of any child is indeed tragic but where are the parents, the family?
I've done all I can to keep my kids safe from everything I can possibly think of including stupid s#t like this and I will continue to do so as long as I live.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Most kids these days don't even care what their parents tell them to do.

So how the hell a picture of an ugly bird on crack with grease pan hair can influence them with dares to the point of suicide is rather beyond my ability to fathom.

Unfortunately a form of natural selection really.

These are mind control tactics.

Youngsters were encouraged to undertake daily tasks including self-harming, watching horror films and waking up at unusual hours

metro.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Still better than "Freemium" games...

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

If they'll spend $11,000 in one weekend on one of the crappiest video games ever made, they'll fall for anything.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Guess daft 12 year olds are rather susceptible to mind control tactics then?

Not exactly very subtle, but hey it not like they want them to miss the point.

Stupid is as stupid does im afraid.

I feel for the parents, but if brains were dynamite and all that jazz.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ShadowLink

Then I'm disgusting.

There are things I worry about that are far more important than a 16 year old who is stupid enough to follow the suggestions in a f#ing text from Momo.
6 or 7 year olds is a different story but no 16 year old should fall victim to something like this.

And no I don't know how many kids are raped by their fathers, do you?
It's likely safe to say that if these kids suffered from such problem the end result would have been the same.

The loss of any child is indeed tragic but where are the parents, the family?
I've done all I can to keep my kids safe from everything I can possibly think of including stupid s#t like this and I will continue to do so as long as I live.

I don't know if you are disgusting, but your words or idea in this matter are to me.

30,000 people commit suicide in the United States each year. 750,000 people attempt suicide. It’s time to raise awareness, increase empathy and kindness, and bring those numbers down.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

The Sad Socrates Effect Harvard students’ intelligence may explain higher-than-average rates of depression and suicide

www.thecrimson.com...

Take a look at some of these morons I bet you remember a few. There are a lot more, artists writers and even scientists, all just Morons in your book.
ritely.com...
edit on 3-9-2018 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   

What is your gripe exactly?

I'm aware there is a difference between suicide caused by depression and mental illness etc... and suicide caused by stupidity and lack of intelligence.

As far as I can tell the OP shows more signs of the latter than the former.

Take a look at some of these morons I bet you remember a few. There are a lot more, artists writers and even scientists, all just Morons in your book.

Admittedly I didn't read through the whole list but while I skimmed through I didn't notice any who tried to neck bungie cause of a text or something similarly stupid.
Looks like most of them had legitimate issues, therefore not morons.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   

If you are old enough to kill yourself you arent a kid in the mental sense. Their parents were not paying attention and doing their jobs as parents. they are at fault here.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

If you are old enough to kill yourself you arent a kid in the mental sense. Their parents were not paying attention and doing their jobs as parents. they are at fault here.

A 9 year old just killed himself because he told people he was gay and had no idea how the kids would respond to that. His parents were probably not smart about the whole thing letting him thing he was old enough to make this decision (to come out)

A kid is a kid 12 is 12 think of the stupid and unsafe things we did at 12 or 16,I don't see how you can say a kid was no a kid because they took their life with little understanding of life at all yet.

I don't see how the point is about fault and some really great parents lose kids to accident and suicides.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: ShadowLink

What is your gripe exactly?

I'm aware there is a difference between suicide caused by depression and mental illness etc... and suicide caused by stupidity and lack of intelligence.

As far as I can tell the OP shows more signs of the latter than the former.

Admittedly I didn't read through the whole list but while I skimmed through I didn't notice any who tried to neck bungie cause of a text or something similarly stupid.
Looks like most of them had legitimate issues, therefore not morons.

My point is you know not a thing about these kids lives including any "legit issues" and you have pronounced them simply morons!

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Guess daft 12 year olds are rather susceptible to mind control tactics then?

Clearly we all are, many have just been trained to have zero compassion and don't even know it.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   

It's not very clever to kill yourself now is it?

If that's not rather moronic i don't know what is. LoL

My mate hung himself, but he was 35, with some serious drug, financial, and other mental health issues to contend with.

Suicide is stupid and quite frankly rather selfish at the best of times.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Compassion is one thing, but do you imagine people that top themselves are displaying compassion for the people they leave behind?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join