It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats slam White House for withholding documents on Supreme Court nominee

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: Kharron

Dick Durbin, the No. 2 Senate Democrat, said in an interview aired on “Fox News Sunday” that the White House’s citation of privilege on the documents was the first time that had occurred.

Well, we're talking about the Bush Administration! 911, Blackwater, Halliburton, Enron, Iraq war, etc.

Exactly. He may not have made some good choices, choices that the people would agree with.

If all that has to be hidden, perhaps this man is not the best choice for our country.

Or release it all, and let's see who this man really is. Not the facade, but what is behind it.

America has a right to know.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   
My guess is that there is something in them that Trump wants to be made known so he is telling the dems they can't have it that way they go nutballs begging for it and when it turns out bad for them they have no one to blame but themselves.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I'm gonna just wait until this one comes back around. Jesus.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   

certain documents are still classified you fools. Also, as others have said, they could release every document with the surname Kavanaugh on it and the dems would still vote no on him. So stop with this gaslighting you a$$holes

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Classified at the time

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   

I bet you have no issue with the DOJ withholding those notes on the tarmac meeting, nor the DOJ withholding the text communications between Bruce Ohr and company.

The Bush lawyers reviewed the documents and determined them privledged. The WH agreed and said don't turn them over. This admin has been more transparent and provided more access than any before.

One must not be serious about concerns over transparency when the last admin in its final year spent 34 million fighting FOIA request from journalist and the public. That was a record breaking amount and it wasn't the first record they set.

The Obama administration in its final year in office spent a record $36.2 million on legal costs defending its refusal to turn over federal records under the Freedom of Information Act, according to an Associated Press analysis of new U.S. data that also showed poor performance in other categories measuring transparency

www.google.com...

edit on 9/2/2018 by DJMSN because: Addition

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Dick Durbin, the No. 2 Senate Democrat, said in an interview aired on “Fox News Sunday” that the White House’s citation of privilege on the documents was the first time that had occurred.

Well, we're talking about the Bush Administration! 911, Blackwater, Halliburton, Enron, Iraq war, etc.

Exactly. He may not have made some good choices, choices that the people would agree with.

If all that has to be hidden, perhaps this man is not the best choice for our country.

Or release it all, and let's see who this man really is. Not the facade, but what is behind it.

America has a right to know.

Again... if we’re going to apply this standard to a Surpreme Court nominee surely it should apply to the last President... right... so once and for all let’s see what Obama was so intent on hiding... “America has a right to know”...

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Lmfao, what? The democrats stand for obstruction, this has been evident, my god man.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical
My guess is that there is something in them that Trump wants to be made known so he is telling the dems they can't have it that way they go nutballs begging for it and when it turns out bad for them they have no one to blame but themselves.

Your guess is as good as mine.

I say we wait and see when they are released. Now that it's out in the open, it's just a matter of time before the WH has to comply or end up looking even shadier.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJMSN

I bet you have no issue with the DOJ withholding those notes on the tarmac meeting, nor the DOJ withholding the text communications between Bruce Ohr and company.

The Bush lawyers reviewed the documents and determined them privledged. The WH agreed and said don't turn them over. This admin has been more transparent and provided more access than any before.

One must not be serious about concerns over transparency when the last admin in its final year spent 34 million fighting FOIA request from journalist and the public. That was a record breaking amount and it wasn't the first record they set.

The Obama administration in its final year in office spent a record $36.2 million on legal costs defending its refusal to turn over federal records under the Freedom of Information Act, according to an Associated Press analysis of new U.S. data that also showed poor performance in other categories measuring transparency

www.google.com...

Whatever is available to the DOJ is available to the President, all he has to do is ask. Since we've seen no tweets on it tells us a lot.

This is the White House withholding documents from scrutiny, and only they can give the go ahead to release them.

And to all those saying this is classified.

And?

It's going to the Senate Committee -- they have the clearances, it's their job to do this.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   
What's the reason to release additional documents? What questions are they looking to answer? What specifically, are they looking for?

ETA: Oh, I get it. Anyone that isn't hard left, have to basically go through 'John Doe' type investigations, indefinitely, for ever and ever.

They are looking for ANYTHING to stick on anyone who DARES to be named or associated with Trump.

edit on 2-9-2018 by SourGrapes because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

They have already turned over what... a million or so?

Once again, you did not read the OP. In the first quote in the OP it says that 415,000 documents were released. 129,000 were not.

That is 31% of the released documents that are missing.

Or do you think hiding one third of someone's record is good practice?

It worked for the Clintons.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   

What part did you miss where Bush lawyers reviewed all of the documents and withheld what they consider privileged, the WH agreed and said don't turn them over.

How many documents do they need before they vote no ? It's a circus. I like Kavanaugh more than Gorsuch so I have no issue.

The documents in question are not classified, they just don't want anyone to see them, unless a conversation about grandchildren is classified. They have more than enough to make a decision.

Personally, aside from secrets that would get people killed, I don't think there should be secrets. No admin thus far has spent more than the last Democrat admin to keep secrets, so the faux outrage is just Trump Derangement Syndrome.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJMSN
Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Quoted for truth.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Apparently many here are not familiar with Whitehouse protocols on their communications. Trump cannot release any documents that a former president has said it was sensitive. Every former president locks down what documents they allow released to the public. They normally stash them away in their presidential libraries never to be seen again.

In this case the only one that could release this would be Bush. If the president is unavailable do to death the head of their library would decide what can be released.

Now people are being lied to the politicians know that i formation can't be released if bush considers it confidential. But they can use this to fool people into thinking information is being held by Trump for nefarious reasons.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 08:24 PM
link   

The Democrats are up in arms today because, in an unprecedented move, the White House has attempted to conceal some 130,000 documents on the Supreme Court pick, Brett Kavanaugh.

Kavanaugh, nominated by President Donald Trump, worked in the White House under former President George W. Bush, whose lawyers combed through documents from that time and decided that 27,000 of them were protected under “constitutional privilege.”

The White House directed them not to hand them over to the Senate Judiciary Committee, one of Bush’s lawyers said in a letter to the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, which will host the hearings scheduled to start on Tuesday.

Another 102,000 pages of documents related to Kavanaugh’s record were not turned over for other reasons. The committee has had access to more than 415,000 pages on Kavanaugh’s background, the lawyer said in the letter.

Remind me, folks -- what do we stand for?

Transparency or obstruction?

Reuters

Hilarious, we still don't know roughly 50% of Barack Hussein Obama's history.

Elections have consequences...remember?

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fools

The Democrats are up in arms today because, in an unprecedented move, the White House has attempted to conceal some 130,000 documents on the Supreme Court pick, Brett Kavanaugh.

Kavanaugh, nominated by President Donald Trump, worked in the White House under former President George W. Bush, whose lawyers combed through documents from that time and decided that 27,000 of them were protected under “constitutional privilege.”

The White House directed them not to hand them over to the Senate Judiciary Committee, one of Bush’s lawyers said in a letter to the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, which will host the hearings scheduled to start on Tuesday.

Another 102,000 pages of documents related to Kavanaugh’s record were not turned over for other reasons. The committee has had access to more than 415,000 pages on Kavanaugh’s background, the lawyer said in the letter.

Reuters

Unfortunately it's the American people who suffer the consequences.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fools

Reuters

Good luck getting that acknowledged... LOL...

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   

CNN and MSNBC are acting as if Democrats have authority and power over the Kavanaugh confirmation process. What a joke. From what I heard today, his nomination is a done deal. (Almost every Republican will vote "yea", along with a handful of Democrats, who aren't afraid of Schumer.)

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   

It wouldn't matter what is in there, anything Trump wants the Dem leaders
automatically want the opposite.

Tick tock....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join