It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats slam White House for withholding documents on Supreme Court nominee

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   
The Democrats are up in arms today because, in an unprecedented move, the White House has attempted to conceal some 130,000 documents on the Supreme Court pick, Brett Kavanaugh.

Kavanaugh, nominated by President Donald Trump, worked in the White House under former President George W. Bush, whose lawyers combed through documents from that time and decided that 27,000 of them were protected under “constitutional privilege.”

The White House directed them not to hand them over to the Senate Judiciary Committee, one of Bush’s lawyers said in a letter to the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, which will host the hearings scheduled to start on Tuesday.

Another 102,000 pages of documents related to Kavanaugh’s record were not turned over for other reasons. The committee has had access to more than 415,000 pages on Kavanaugh’s background, the lawyer said in the letter.

Remind me, folks -- what do we stand for?

Transparency or obstruction?

Dick Durbin, the No. 2 Senate Democrat, said in an interview aired on “Fox News Sunday” that the White House’s citation of privilege on the documents was the first time that had occurred.

Reuters

+10 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

Democrats have said they don't care what turns up their vote is an automatic no, so I don't blame Trump when it doesn't even matter to the Democrats.

+9 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   

They have already turned over what... a million or so?

Just stall tactics.

Who would have thought that in not even two years, the Dems would become "The Party of No?"

It has already been leaked and affirmed that this is the strategy for the next 6 years.

Obstruct, drag their feet, obstruct, do anything to cripple his administration, obstruct, obstruct, obstruct.

The Democrat's new campaign slogan going forward should be "Make America Suck Again."

Thank god the last administration was the most transparent in history... maybe they should start turning over some records too.

edit on 2-9-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Trigger them early and Trigger them often is the motto.

Especially with meaningless tangents.

Strategy Strategy

🔑🎀🔑

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Why don't they just look at all the rulings he has handed down from his time on the bench, that will tell them all they need to know.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

Their new campaign slogan going forward should be "Make America Suck Again."

Makes sense because leftists are used to hearing , "MASA"

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: norhoc

Why don't they just look at all the rulings he has handed down from his time on the bench, that will tell them all they need to know.

Because it isn't about that at all... it is about doing anything they can to make the current administration look bad.

Example:

Dems block any and all attempts to fund the wall.

Result... Dems scream "He lied about building the wall!!!!!"

It's politics for idiots, so it works well for their base.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Once again, you did not read the OP. In the first quote in the OP it says that 415,000 documents were released. 129,000 were not.

That is 31% of the released documents that are missing.

Or do you think hiding one third of someone's record is good practice?

edit on 2-9-2018 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Their new campaign slogan going forward should be "Make America Suck Again."

Makes sense because leftists are used to hearing , "MASA"

I think you may be in the running for winning the internets for the day with that one.

~giggles~

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

I know and agree, it is still fun to watch the libs spin around and circles when you ask logical question

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   

All you need to know is how he ruled on the bench, and that is readily accessible, all this other crap is stall tactics and politics

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Democrats have said they don't care what turns up their vote is an automatic no, so I don't blame Trump when it doesn't even matter to the Democrats.

Do you realize that this obstruction now pretty much guarantees that nothing will happen until after the November elections?

Dishonesty backfired.

Or are you expecting a Red Wave that will make things easier after November?

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron

Once again, you did not read the OP. In the first quote in the OP it says that 415,000 documents were released. 129,000 were not.

That is 31% of all documents that are missing.

What I actually think is that 31% of Democratic leaders cannot read at a high school level.

The other 69% are not going to read any of them anyways... they already stated they would vote "no" no matter what the documents say because.... Trump.

Please link me the outrage you have about the FBI and the DOJ refusing to release records that actually matter to an investigation on how the DNC and intelligence officials chose to sway the course of a Presidential election.

Since transparency seems to be one of your priorities.

And for the record....

Senate digs through record 1 million pages of documents on Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh

The Dems are not trying to put it off until after November. They are trying to put it off until 2025.

edit on 2-9-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   

What I actually think is that 31% of Democratic leaders cannot read at a high school level.

The other 69% are not going to read any of them anyways... they already stated they would vote "no" no matter what the documents say because.... Trump.

Please link me the outrage you have about the FBI and the DOJ refusing to release records that actually matter to an investigation on how the DNC and intelligence officials chose to sway the course of a Presidential election.

I have no doubt that you believe that. I also have no doubt that there is not a thing in the world that you can do to prove your opinion.

However, you are avoiding the topic and deflecting to another one that you want to talk about.

Do you think it is a good move to conceal important documents, something no White House has ever done before in such a matter?

Edit to add: You added a link so I'll comment on it. The article is from July and it was obviously wrong; and we now know straight from the Senate Committee, who know how many documents they have in their possession. That number according to the Senate is 415,000.

I understand you're going off of something you previously read, so it's not a big mistake, but had you read the OP we would not be discussing this.

edit on 2-9-2018 by Kharron because: edit to add

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Why are Republicans mad again? Did they not refuse to accept Merrick Garland as a Supreme Court nominee during Obama? So the same principle can be applied. This is just more partisanship bickering from both sides.

Talk about not working together......This is getting old

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   

I have no doubt that you believe that. I also have no doubt that there is not a thing in the world that you can do to prove your opinion.

However, you are avoiding the topic and deflecting to another one that you want to talk about.

Do you think it is a good move to conceal important documents, something no White House has ever done before in such a matter?

Edit to add: You added a link so I'll comment on it. The article is from July and it was obviously wrong; and we now know straight from the Senate Committee, who know how many documents they have in their possession. That number according to the Senate is 415,000.

I understand you're going off of something you previously read, so it's not a big mistake, but had you read the OP we would not be discussing this.

So something that does not prove your glaring bias in the mainstream news is wrong.

I get that about you.

I'm not avoiding the topic at all... I have already answered it three different ways on your thread.

Again (and I am typing this slowly so you can understand) it doesn't matter if they hand over the documents or not.

You do realize that he served in the White House before and those documents could be classified, yes?

Do you also realize that the White House has no obligation to turn over any documents at all?

And finally, do you realize that in the end, it will not matter because it won't change the vote... they are just trying to stall it?

You have been handed a big red herring by the Democrat party.

Defend it to the death, my friend.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   

So something that does not prove your glaring bias in the mainstream news is wrong.

I get that about you.

I'm not avoiding the topic at all... I have already answered it three different ways on your thread.

Again (and I am typing this slowly so you can understand) it doesn't matter if they hand over the documents or not.

You do realize that he served in the White House before and those documents could be classified, yes?

Do you also realize that the White House has no obligation to turn over any documents at all?

And finally, do you realize that in the end, it will not matter because it won't change the vote... they are just trying to stall it?

You have been handed a big red herring by the Democrat party.

Defend it to the death, my friend.

You realize making excuses for dishonesty will not make you look good in the end?

Do you think he will be confirmed without cooperation from the White House? Do you think this disregard for transparency will play into his or the WH favor?

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   

That is 31% of the released documents that are missing.

How’d you feel about the last President hiding all of his records instead of just a third of them...

That aside I guess we’ll just pretend that no matter what it handed over or how timely the left won’t complain about it while obstructing any and every demand for everything...

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Dick Durbin, the No. 2 Senate Democrat, said in an interview aired on “Fox News Sunday” that the White House’s citation of privilege on the documents was the first time that had occurred.

Well, we're talking about the Bush Administration! 911, Blackwater, Halliburton, Enron, Iraq war, etc.

edit on 2-9-2018 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

You take what dick durbin or anyone says at face value? Cause I have never seen a congressman blatantly lie or make something up.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join