It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meanwhile, at the Mall...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
Circa 1970's

At the beach, for a photo shoot.
Still wearing pantyhose, even.

Rather cute.

Children are raised to be consumers- their bodies are nothing more than a commodity. What faster way to get ahead in the world than to attract lots of other people by showing off what you've got?

With no skills, no values, and no self being driven by nothing other than blind consumerism guided by pure greed... What chance do these kids have?
They're going to do the best they can with what they've got, but all we've given them is a failing nearly global currency and at least two generations of forefathers who couldn't survive a week without electricity and an education that relies heavily on instantly looking up facts online.

Google currently processes 40,000 searches a second.
I don't know how many are from the US, but I'm guessing a good chunk.
I'm not sure what upsets me more- how heavily people depend on that, or how easily controlled that are because of it.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   
This is the garbage that scares me to death.
My daughter is 16 this month.
Way to many of her friends are dressing too revealing.

They have no clue what their bodies are worth.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   

The worst part is that too many of them were probably mini versions of this gal above.

There are clothes you can wear when you are a healthy weight to make yourself look good, but short shorts and the like are not part of that list.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

im with you
my daughter just turned 6 a few days ago.

i think about this stuff a lot

we just have to trust them until we cant and trust that we did a good job with what is acceptable or not.

i am not looking forward to teenage rebellion cause really there is only so much you can do.
i am not the kick them out of the house and disown them type.

i really dread the teen years.

hopefully she likes to stay home and read.

maybe all our conservatory trips will rub off on her and instead of hanging out at the mall she will be more concerned with practicing her instrument.

a dad can dream

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

It's not about what they do or don't do.

It's about hoping they understand how to make smart choices when they go do what they do. I won't lie. I hung out with an iffy crowd all through high school, but I didn't dress like a hooker, and even though I put myself in situations with drugs and alcohol, I never indulged myself.

I knew better than to make poor choices. I knew where my ticket was punched, and it wasn't with substances. I was a runner, and that was my bread and butter and my way out.

So many poor choices stem from kids not knowing who they are and searching for that sense of self and sense of worth. Too many rely on others to provide it for them.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
a reply to: NthOther

These young girls dress like hookers because they always follow what they are told is "today's"
fashion.

I think they have misunderstood the meaning of the saying *that less is more.*

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I haven't had to deal with to much rebellion.
But from my own experience I have noticed the communication is the key.
Talk to your kid and that's not the same as talking at your kid.
Give them the space and trust that is earned.

But I can't stress enough to have the big conversations soon and often.

Shes still going to push your buttons sometimes.
Shes going to push boundaries too.

edit on 1-9-2018 by Bluntone22 because: Stupid auto correct

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   
It kind of surprises me to find out kids hang at the mall.

That's so 1980s .

We had big hair they have weirdly colored hair .

We had Daisy Dukes, they have a string up their butt crack.

We had tube tops they have crop tops.

Nobody had a nose ring .

Or tongue piercing's .

and......

You actually knew the sex of the person you were talking to.

Yup those were the good all days .

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: 14377

I'm surprised too. I thought malls were going extinct, but I forgot it was a holiday weekend.

All the more reason to wear less. You've seen what's happened with Halloween?

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Yup prized me too. I thought the malls were full of old people walking ? Lol

I'm not sure if you're talking about trick-or-treat on Halloween ? If so I haven't seen anything slutty. The most amazing thing I've seen is a kid in a powered wheelchair dressed like the death Star . ( it was pretty good I used to have a picture )

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I wonder sometimes at what all of that undeserved directed attention does to a person's ego and psyche. If there is such a thing as spirit or soul and the desires can be directed, maybe even felt, there must be some awareness of that attention.

So they are getting massive amounts of attention and validation from their peers, simply for their physical looks. They really don't need to accomplish anything or improve their mental facilities to get all of this attention. I would imagine that is not good for personal development.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   

No, the costumes. If you're female, you're pretty much going as a slut for Halloween. That's all that's available. Slut cop, slut vampire, the classic slut French maid, slut Catholic school girl, etc. Whatever it is, it's a slut.

Unless you make your own, but I think most women are all too happy to objectify themselves that night in particular.

That, or they can't sew.

edit on 9/1/18 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   
It's shocking to me that some love to have a big butt, a la Kardashian. In my day that would have been ridiculed and certainly not cherished.

What is amazing is that even the bigger girls show everything they've got and are proud of it. Can't decide if that's good thing or not.

The word modesty doesn't exist anymore-and it's actually considered really unattractive.

Saw "Suits" for the first time the other night, and, wow, not many suits on the females. The women were all dressed in really tight, low cut, curvacious dresses and highheels. Not even close to real attorneys in real suits and sensible shoes.

I have noticed my female doctors love to dress up in dresses heels and alot of makeup.

We are definitey away from the Age of Aquarius and earthy 70s-we are going backwards in many ways to sexualizing women like the 50s-and this the #metoo generation.

I'm confused.
edit on 1-9-2018 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Lol....lol..lol...yes yes yes....the teens are growing into their bodies like they have since eternity began....and the under-controlled must still battle their inner horny teen and if they fail and lose the battle only to then view these kids as adults in a sexual way and then they will be offended by an kids ass-cheek hanging out or a childs breast showing....to normally matured adults kids are kids until stated otherwise...its not that hard to tell a kid from an adult....its not a personal attack or overture when kids grow up and its not just you who shares the experience with every single generation remember the entire VILLAGE is impacted by these generational stages.....it is your responsibility as a mature adult to understand and parse this properly.If you have kids make sure you spend time letting them know how you feel about how they dress in any ways you deem proper...if you don't like kids clothing then send a message to the manufacturers who produce and advertise them then do the same with the retailers who do so and then go online and start a web site or a chat group where you can find people who feel like you do and weild the Peoples Club to stop the creation marketing and sale of kids clothes that offend you...if you find you have spare time you may also choose to moonlight and invest in a few smaller clothing manufacturing and sales outlets that are exclusively Amish Hutterite and Mennonite fashions and try to balance the marketplace...if you also use some startup sites like go-fund-me you can find funding from like minded people to start right away....I look forward to more conservatively dressed teens at the mall IN ABOUT A THOUSAND YEARS.....lol.
edit on 1-9-2018 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Justso

Ah yes, the Fat Acceptance Movement--a somewhat recent development in the evolution of leftist insanity.

Being morbidly obese is no longer to be frowned upon--it's to be celebrated and flaunted (with as little clothing as possible, unfortunately).

Fat chicks with herpes, coming to the cover of Vanity Fair soon.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: one4all

Or, I could simply not allow that bull# in my house.

So I don't.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: Bluntone22

we just have to trust them until we cant and trust that we did a good job with what is acceptable or not.

Yep! Just trust her until you can't......because she's now pregnant at 15. At least now you know she can't be trusted. Oops.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   

I got a granddaughter that's 12. My daughter gives her a little freedom but tracks her on her phone . I'm the type of grandpa that would show up at the mall unexpectedly. And now thanks to your information I'm going to show up on Halloween as long as she isn't trick-or-treating with me and her brother .

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
a reply to: one4all

Or, I could simply not allow that bull# in my house.

So I don't.

Nor did I...we are discussing the Mall and other peoples kids.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Well. Tiny has a point. You can't squeeze too tightly or they'll resent you (and everything that goes with that).

Don't stalk her. Just be a good grandpa.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join