It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Ghost ship’ runs aground off Thongwa

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
The same general area that MH370 disappeared, perhaps nearly the same time frame.
Que the spooky music. Where has she been for 9 years?

She was in hell. now shes back to claim a new crew.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Pirates probably got them. They're still around.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   

From the BBC article... basically nothing to see here:

The large, empty and rusty container vessel, Sam Ratulangi PB 1600, had been discovered by fishermen off Myanmar's commercial capital.

The navy now say the freighter was being towed by a tugboat headed to a ship-breaking factory in Bangladesh.

However, the crew abandoned the ship after being caught up in bad weather.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: HunkaHunka

The question isn't how it disappeared. Its where the hell has it been in the meantime.

As one poster already said, it was probably being used by someone other than its owner until it fell into a state of disrepair due to lack of maintenance.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Goonies.

Hey you guy's..

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Fisherr

If you say that too loud dan tosh shows and bores you to death with cheesy internet videos.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   

I'd give you a flag for this one as it is most interesting but ATS is still glitching for me on the left side of the screen.

I'd ask the question how the hell did this not ever get seen by anyone for 9 years but after that plane went down a while back and no one could find anything, basically, that our satellites and what not can't cover every inch of this planet just yet.

Is there any sign of the crew? Are they all disappeared? What a weird story.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheSpanishArcher

I'd give you a flag for this one as it is most interesting but ATS is still glitching for me on the left side of the screen.

I'd ask the question how the hell did this not ever get seen by anyone for 9 years but after that plane went down a while back and no one could find anything, basically, that our satellites and what not can't cover every inch of this planet just yet.

Is there any sign of the crew? Are they all disappeared? What a weird story.

Well, a boat is above water so in theory it should be easier to find. It's a lot bigger as well.

I guess it was being used for nefarious purposes by some unscrupulous individuals, and then abandoned.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Well we can maybe rule out someone using it for a while then giving it back.

There would likely be evidence for that and i imagine changing the name on the ship would have been step one for anyone using it without permission.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: RMFX1

Common sense, or so I am told, would say that someone noticed this ship somewhere along the last nine years. Also where is the crew? If they abandoned ship for whatever reason I'd like to think someone found, well, anybody, from the crew at some point. Although, it is a rather large ocean so maybe that didn't happen.

Damn I love odd stories like this.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Are we dealing with high crime on the high seas or something more extraordinary? Marie Celeste and all those Bermuda Triangle legends spring to mind. Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Well, when there was a bit of a lull in the industry a a few year back, I was woking security for supply vessels and you would see a lot of docked, empty got long periods. Some are still docked. There are places where there are ships just sitting waiting on things to perk up. As someone pointed out this has damage that could signal it has broken it's moorings, perhaps this vessel was on long standby and drifted free?

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Ghost ships are WAY cool!
Where did the crew go?
Where is the cargo?
Why did the ship just disappear out of the blue and then turn up years later out of the blue?
Where was the ship all during the missing time?

Somewhere, somebody is probably writing a horror movie script right now.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

I don't think we can rule that out at all.

What I think we can rule out is that it has warped through a rift in space time, or somehow traversed into another dimension and then back again 9 years later.

No, someone has definitely been using it for something in the meantime.
edit on 1-9-2018 by RMFX1 because: Spelling

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   
interesting story from a few years ago (sorry no link)

sugar freighter called distress off East coast of Africa. search found nothing.

few weeks later a sugar freighter with a fresh coat of paint pulls in to West Africa.

hmmm....

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: RMFX1

No, someone has definitely been using it for something in the meantime.

Likely.

We can rule out shipping uses and the likes that would have had it out in the open.

Would be interesting to get some report on anything found on board before and after the disappearance.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I'm betting Robert Redford would have loved to have drifted pass that big boy. Then maybe he wouldn't have lost it all.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Dont ships have gps tracking devices! Heck, even My bikes have that

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

Ghost ships are WAY cool!
Where did the crew go?

Home.

Where is the cargo?

Unloaded and sold (likely on the black market)

Why did the ship just disappear out of the blue and then turn up years later out of the blue?

Most people don't realize how big the oceans on this planet are! Just take the Indian Ocean for example. Ships can be adrift for decades and never be seen there. Even the Pacific is the same. Contrary to this social media universe, the World is actually a pretty big place...like REALLY big! A lot bigger than most people understand. Just look at the MH 370 disappearance. Gone without even a single trace.

Where was the ship all during the missing time?
Probably running illicit black market cargo to countries all over the planet for most of the 9 years. Following that, it was probably anchored in some distant port just rotting away in the sun. Likely involved in numerous lawsuits and claims of ownership in 3rd world countries with no clear title or registration. So it sat anchored...until some ordered it to be made to disappear. They had it towed off (probably from anchorage in the Straights of Malacca off the Indonesian coast) to be broken up in Bangladesh.

I can guarantee you this much; somebody knows where that ship has been since it was launched in 2001. They might not want to admit it, and they might want to remain anonymous, but someone knows. Guaranteed. Furthermore, some government paid to have it towed off. Why do I know this? Because the towing company wouldn't make jack from the Bangladeshi's for bringing the ship to them. They were paid by someone else to make it go away. It was probably a hazard, and someone wanted it gone. The ship breakers take decades to make their money back on a ship like this, so they don't pay up front. They just take them off people's hands and make them disappear.

It's a cool story here, and there might even be some intrigue (death, pirates, etc) in the ship's history, but there's nothing really haunted about the whole thing. It's just a criminal ship on the high seas, and it met it's end where it likely began...at sea.

As for the horror script...there are a whole lot of horrible places in this world, and a whole lot of horrible people who live there. The world is not always a nice place.
edit on 9/1/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: RMFX1
a reply to: HunkaHunka

The question isn't how it disappeared. Its where the hell has it been in the meantime.

There is a anchorage in the Strait between Indonesia and Singapore where many unused cargo ships just set at anchor waiting for being reused or the breaker.
www.nytimes.com...
My guess this ship set there for years.
and without the AIS running its never recorded as moving.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Abandoned ships can drift for considerable distances

Take case of MV CLOUD from early 1980's - was chartered to haul shipment of artillery ammunition from Varna on Black Sea to Nigeria

After passing Pillars of Hercules into Atlantic an electrical fire broke out in engine room. Crew (from Guyana with British
officers) fearing fire would spread to ammunition abandoned ship. Were picked up by Panamanian ship Fire burned itself out causing minimal damage

CLOUD then drifted all the way across Atlantic until sighted weeks later by Venezuelan ship - who boarded ship and
finding cargo of munitions feared had stumbled on gun running operation. Radioed their government who dispatched squad of Marines to parachuted into ocean to guard cargo until could get CLOUD into port

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join