It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pennsylvania GOP official who called kneeling NFL players ‘baboons’ resigns

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Emotions still running high for many folks over this kneeling fiasco. Some triggered enough to make comparisons of the kneelers to animals:

A county GOP official in Pennsylvania resigned on Friday, just a day after it was revealed that she repeatedly called NFL players who kneeled during the national anthem “baboons."

Carla Maloney, secretary of the Republican Committee of Beaver County, made the comments in a series of Facebook posts last year, according to The Beaver County Times.

Maloney reportedly published the posts under the name Carla Belich Fueller.

On Friday, Maloney acknowledged writing "distasteful, inappropriate and insensitive" posts on social media and apologized.

The Hill

Who would of thought this image would still cause ripples into a segment of the population after all this time?

Btw NFL players are still kneeling on grounds despite the NFL's new rule imposed at the start of the year. Pence's little $200K stunt to walk out of a match didn't seem to change minds either. It also appears that these players are gaining more support for their right to kneel on the field:

A photo of 97-year-old World War II veteran John Middlemas taking a knee went viral, after the man's grandson Brendan Gilmore posted it to Twitter.

The tweet -- which included a photo of the farmer from Willard, Missouri, kneeling on the ground accompanied by what Gilmore said was his grandfather's phrase "those kids have every right to protest" -- was retweeted nearly 130,000 times in just a day.

ABC

So evidently mocking and attacking these players hasn't helped anything for the 2 year period this has been going on. Maybe there needs to be a change of tact for critics? Might I recommend a meeting between the President, some GOP officials and these players over a Bud? Heck if the players turn it down it outta make Trump and the GOP look good.

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 01:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

NFL players are EMPLOYEES

When I watch football I don't wan't to think about politics, I want to think about football.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

NFL players are EMPLOYEES

And it's up to the NFL to take action where they see fit. Thus far their actions aren't amounting to much of anything, which is purely within their right.

What's next?

When I watch football I don't wan't to think about politics,

Then maybe it's time you switch the channel if a few minutes of kneeling will cause you such angst? Or, how about you switch over during their kneeling time? There's a solution. We're all adults.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 01:41 AM
link   
*shrugs* they want to keep telling me how I am oppressing someone, or my family members are from their ivory towers I will continue to do what I have for the last couple years and not watch, not by their merchandise.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 01:44 AM
link   

people that make $250,000 a year (minimum wage) to sit on the bench shouldn't be looking for their 15 minutes while I'm watching football.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 01:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I will continue to do what I have for the last couple years and not watch, not by their merchandise.

Seems fair enough.... you're well within your right to do that. Would you be willing to simply tell others like this GOP official to do the same as opposed to attacking the players? Seems both ways are peaceful in the end? Otherwise I think a beer meeting is up? Have these players meet up with the otherside and discuss it over? A beer with the president? The president can then shut them down with his view of reality?

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 01:47 AM
link   

people that make $250,000 a year (minimum wage) to sit on the bench shouldn't be looking for their 15 minutes while I'm watching football.

Yes life's not fair. Whining about it and attacking these players doesn't seem to be changing much of anything? Have you considered having them meet up with the otherside and pointers made?

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 01:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

Yes life's not fair. Whining about it and attacking these players doesn't seem to be changing much of anything? Have you considered having them meet up with the otherside and pointers made?

Have you considered that these are not disparaged individuals and could make these statements outside their jobs!

Think of it this way, imagine you are at a checkout stand at a grocery store, and the person checking all the items decides to take a 10 minute break and tells you that you have to just wait.

Would you sit there for 10 minutes waiting?

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Have you considered that these are not disparaged individuals and could make these statements outside their jobs!

Why would they need to do that? They seem to be getting enough of a raise out of people like you and this GOP official doing it this way. Seems to be getting the result they want.

Think of it this way, imagine you are at a checkout stand at a grocery store, and the person checking all the items decides to take a 10 minute break and tells you that you have to just wait.

I'd go to another grocery store. #capitalism.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 02:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

To be blunt as hell, that's basically what the anthem is anyway -- mandatory waste of time for spectators and players alike.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Why would they need to do that? They seem to be getting enough of a raise out of people like you and this GOP official doing it this way. Seems to be getting the result they want.

and when the nfl sees the income loss (which they already have) changes will be made, as they have been.

The NFL is a business, and their revenue has dropped quite considerably.

The selfish kneelers are depriving lucrative players from their full potential pay.

Let them kneel, I don't care, i just won't watch or spend.

Let them protest their way to unemployment.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 02:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: Vector99

To be blunt as hell, that's basically what the anthem is anyway -- mandatory waste of time for spectators and players alike.

I'm 100% for doing away with it completely.

I just want to watch football

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 02:35 AM
link   

The NFL is a business

Yes. My point still stands.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Wait whats wrong with monkeys protesting? You guys are speciests monkeys have rights to.

(post by Cancerwarrior removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Ya.. we don't see them giving each other big wet sloppy kisses to show their solidarity with the LBGTHAJHQKJWHJKHERJHD community.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Think of it this way, imagine you are at a checkout stand at a grocery store, and the person checking all the items decides to take a 10 minute break and tells you that you have to just wait. Would you sit there for 10 minutes waiting?

Depends on the reason.

If it was to protest government and police violence then yes I would wait.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 06:32 AM
link   

My wife who is non white first generation green card holding immigrant with English as her 2nd language thinks players kneeling is disgusting.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Personally I hope all of this brings both an end to that silly little childs game that we call the NFL and helps bring more attention to police violence.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Good morning ATS, no good morning for my leftist tho 😌

Increased support? Hardly, alot of people I do business with simply don't like it and that's to be expected.

Inregards to the OP about the county GOP, meh, she said some bad stuff, A YEAR AGO, and resigns, ye happens. Crap comes back to haunt you and rightfully so. She owned up, 'nuff said.

The NFL has taken a beating and has slowly eroded into a straight business Op, as evident of their scrubbing of all Nationally related events from their broadcast.

Quite frankly, NFL was an American thing to do, not anymore *shrugs*

Baseball still has it tho 😊

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join