It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opportunity Rover will have 45 Days to Phone Home

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Looks like NASA is only going to give Oppy 45 days to make contact after the dust storm clears.

As a planet-wide dust storm enveloped Mars, many were concerned about the fate of the Opportunity rover. After all, Opportunity is dependent on solar panels; the opacity of the dust storm meant that she wasn't getting enough light to stay powered. The team at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory last heard from Opportunity on June 10th. Now, the storm is lifting, and once its opacity reaches a tau level of 1.5, the little rover will have 45 days to respond to the team's signals. Otherwise, NASA will stop actively listening for the rover.

Source

The old girl has been roving Mars for 13 years now, hard to believe. It seems like just the other day those first surprising images were sent back to Earth from inside the small crater she rolled into. The amazing blueberry images were next. I am betting on her surviving this dust storm.

I will dig up some old images and post them here over the weekend.
edit on 31-8-2018 by LookingAtMars because: add pics

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Im with you on her surviving the storm. Crazy its been 13 years! unbelievable!

I wonder of any amateur astronomers have any equipment sensitive enough to listen for the signal?

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: SorrowSong

It would be hard to do and I am pretty sure it is all encrypted now. There are so many instruments at Mars now sending data back you wouldn't know what craft you were picking up.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   
A 90 day mission turned into nearly 15 years.
What a feat the lil feller performed
I would not doubt NASA hears "online and awaiting orders , Captain"

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

The dust storm also means physical dust pancaked on the panels. The dust-devil cleaning events that have worked in the past will be important. Let's hope there is enough power to be able to phone home and perhaps reposition itself. What a piece of engineering that little bot is!

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Poor girl is just hitting robot puberty!
I hope the dust blows off of her and she can respond.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   
We need to do something for that little droid!

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Over 9000 trazillion dollars and

"Yep, it's all over folks! Nothing more to see here, move along please. Dust storm, move along...thank you."

How very convenient.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 12:20 AM
link   

NASA Voyager probes are still going strong after more than 40 years Both are several billion miles from earth heading into interstellar space

The radio isotope power generators are estimated to be good for another 15 years before the power output falls below
level needed to run instruments and transmitter

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Those look like Juniper Berries.
Let's hope Mars has an equivilant to Elliot to help our ET phone home.

Of course, there's a good chance that powered down and sitting still that little Rover is buried in sand and won't get that chance. Sad too when I think about that. Been alone on that planet for so long, unmaintenenced and no inspections yet kept on like an Energizer bunny.

I want my next car based off her design, she was one drone built to last!

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: firerescue

NASA Voyager probes are still going strong after more than 40 years Both are several billion miles from earth heading into interstellar space

The radio isotope power generators are estimated to be good for another 15 years before the power output falls below
level needed to run instruments and transmitter

Again I say, why can't they build a car designed to last when they can build a Rover that can go without tuneups in a hostile atmosphere?

It's time NASA takes over FORD and shows the world how to build a reliable automobile!

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 01:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver
Over 9000 trazillion dollars and

"Yep, it's all over folks! Nothing more to see here, move along please. Dust storm, move along...thank you."

How very convenient.
what do you want them to do? Blame it on the incoming Decepticon invasion?

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 03:28 AM
link   
You know, my intuition says that NASA has an official statement that we have all been waiting for. They want this baby of theirs up and back into operation as a legacy testimonial for what they will be revealing. Theatrical, Eh? But I will take the news any way they choose to give it.
edit on 1-9-2018 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

IT is just the way stuff is going today... We all need a payday, monetary or mental.... just fill my bucket with pseudo gold coins.... Actually, I will take the physical since my dog got arthritis..... Check out the cost of those meds.... Hey.... its gonna be a new world soon , can't you #ing feel it?

edit on 1-9-2018 by charlyv because: (no reason given)[/edit]

Not on some kind of lunatic binge... something is going down. I have been right (in my own mind) the last time this # happened. It scares me to wake up tomorrow (I work third shift, in my house, in my lab.)
edit on 1-9-2018 by charlyv because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: AutisticEvo

She was only expected to last 90 days. Its amazing she lasted 13 years with those crazy temperature veriations! I think one day in our future we will take her home and put her in a museum where she belongs. I think we might even see that day if they fix this ageing problem.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 06:30 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

It would be hard to do and I am pretty sure it is all encrypted now. There are so many instruments at Mars now sending data back you wouldn't know what craft you were picking up.

I think if they end giving up on her then they should give some amateur astronomers the encryption key. So just in case she does respond, say in a few more months, then at least someone will be listening.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

$400m actually, or about 27 cruise missiles.

The science and imagery it has sent back will keep people busy for decades.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   

I think if they end giving up on her then they should give some amateur astronomers the encryption key. So just in case she does respond, say in a few more months, then at least someone will be listening.

I agree. There are a lot of amazing people out there who would love to be able to be a part of this project. I'm sure behind closed doors, they are keeping an eye on it.
The public think it's the end, but I have a feeling they will keep it going.
edit on Sat, 01 Sep 2018 08:38:27 -0500081892018000000k by rhynouk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Looks like NASA is only going to give Oppy 45 days to make contact after the dust storm clears.

Yes, but the long distance charges from Mars are a killer …….

top topics

<<   2 >>

join