It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Man movie omits planting of the flag?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Not every movie out there has to have a constant patriotic circlejerk feel to it. So they omitted the flag scene, whoopie s#. Did they drastically alter the rest of the story, too? No? Then appreciate the work for what it was back then -- damn hard. If your appreciation for milestones hinges on prostrating at a flag on the screen, you already don't appreciate a damn thing to begin with.

The presence lack thereof of symbolism is NOT the be all, end all of American achievements. IMO, clinging to the effing flag completely cheapens some of the hardest won "firsts" we've done. Talk about useless idolatry, you're putting an object over people in terms of importance. I don't give a flying excretion if we have a flag up there or not, that's not the important part of the challenge. The important part was GETTING there to begin with. Ignoring the amount of work it took to get to the moon in favor of an object being or not being in a scene, something that didn't have much to do with that work -- people did it, not flags -- should be a huge (proverbial) red flag that there is something very wrong with people today. They don't appreciate ANYTHING without having some reason to wave a star spangled wang around.

Why focus on the Appomattox Court? It too was just one moment from such a larger and complex event....
edit on 1-9-2018 by LedermanStudio because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 04:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: MteWamp

originally posted by: alldaylong
a reply to: LedermanStudio

Engineers, scientists, technicians etc from many countries where involved on The Apollo Project to put a man on the moon.

Should flags of their countries also have been planted on the moon?

Such as?

I have already provided a link if you read back.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 05:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Were they NASA employees ? Working in the US ? Most likely US citizens ?

The answer to those questions is NO.

Without this chaps invention of the Fuel Cells Apollo would never have happened.

As history relates, the Apollo moonshot was a success and a few days after the astronauts’ return Tom Bacon received a letter from Dick Foley of Pratt and Whitney saying ‘please accept my personal congratulations for the contribution your fuel cells made to Apollo XI.

The three power plants performed flawlessly and provided about 400 kilo watt hours of electrical energy during the mission. This raises to 23 fuel cell power plants which have flown to date.

Your satisfaction must be very great that your pioneering efforts have made this possible and practicable’.* Honours and congratulations followed, Tom and Barbara were invited to no. 10 Downing Street to meet the astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins during their world tour.

At a dinner in London a representative of NASA presented Tom with a gold-plated miniature of his cell mounted on a teak stand. On a visit to the United States he met the President who put his arm around Tom’s shoulders and said ‘Without you Tom, we wouldn’t have gotten to the Moon’.

rsbm.royalsocietypublishing.org...

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   
'MURICA # YEAH!!!

Seriously film is about NEIL ARMSTRONG, NOT the moon landing. He is the focus.
Goddamn how many times do you need to see the same thing over and over?

Think some of the complainers are missing the entire point here.
Film = Neil
It's not " Team 'Murica Really Really Goes To The Moon: The Movie."

Flag is in the movie, it makes an appearance dear rabid patriots.
Now if they photoshopped it out altogether or maybe replaced in a Chinese one I could understand the outrage.

For me the most important aspects of the moon landing would be the launch and the stepping onto the surface. But no. Gotta be the flag planting. Because 'MURICA # YEAH! and little else.
How dare they maybe focus on it being an achievement of humanity... How awful to compare Americans to Humans amiright?

Do you happen to be the type to riot when your football team loses too? lol

Oh well the hill billy redneck level of outrage over such a trivial thing is hilarious. So thanks for that at least.

I'm looking forward to this film.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: AtomicKangaroo
'MURICA # YEAH!!!

Seriously film is about NEIL ARMSTRONG, NOT the moon landing. He is the focus.
Goddamn how many times do you need to see the same thing over and over?

Think some of the complainers are missing the entire point here.
Film = Neil
It's not " Team 'Murica Really Really Goes To The Moon: The Movie."

Flag is in the movie, it makes an appearance dear rabid patriots.
Now if they photoshopped it out altogether or maybe replaced in a Chinese one I could understand the outrage.

For me the most important aspects of the moon landing would be the launch and the stepping onto the surface. But no. Gotta be the flag planting. Because 'MURICA # YEAH! and little else.
How dare they maybe focus on it being an achievement of humanity... How awful to compare Americans to Humans amiright?

Do you happen to be the type to riot when your football team loses too? lol

Oh well the hill billy redneck level of outrage over such a trivial thing is hilarious. So thanks for that at least.

I'm looking forward to this film.

Is this the way your foster parents taught you how to talk to people?

So rude...

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Looks like Hollywood is taking the critique in a healthy way...

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Ryan gosling admitted it and defended it.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: AtomicKangaroo

Why does it have to be the most important to be important? It happened.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   
So much triggering. The movie isn't about the space race, it's about Armstrong.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Not every movie out there has to have a constant patriotic circlejerk feel to it. So they omitted the flag scene, whoopie s#.

Some marys need to go see the film, the flag is in there. Hell, I didn't even think about the flag planting until the triggerables got triggered.

ETA: I also saw Operation Finale and I was totally bummed the Israelis didn't shove an American flag in Eichmann's ass before they hung him.

edit on 1-9-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

For many people that's an important moment and it was intentionally left out to make it less American to make it a global achievement not an American one.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

So much triggering. The movie isn't about the space race, it's about Armstrong.

Don't care.

No hooters, no Iron Man, no Thanos, no going.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
For many people that's an important moment and it was intentionally left out to make it less American to make it a global achievement not an American one.

Who cares? The film is about Armstrong, not about the space race or the moon landing. Did you ever bother to read the plaque they left behind?

This is like some giant jerkoff where people are disappointed they didn't get the money shot of Neil jamming his flag into the Moon. I find it hysterical.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Don't care.

No hooters, no Iron Man, no Thanos, no going.

I personally prefer an actual American hero versus The Avenger's Part 12: Milking Your Wallet.

If the Wonderchick had another film though, that may sway me. Neil doesn't have bewbs.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   

*shrugs*

I like the Sharknado series.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
*shrugs*

I like the Sharknado series.

Tara Reid is a hot mess.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Well I didn't say:

I am going to watch this film because I'm not a small minded, dim witted, brainwashed, patriotic, moron, who get's angry over whether you see a flag get stuck in some soil that we've all seen before.

Because that would of been rude and I do have some manners.

But regardless of my delivery of my opinions. I stand by everything I said and the point of view I was trying to express 100%

It's all a damn joke how people I assume are adults get so butt hurt over something so insignificantly trivial in relation to what the films actual subject matter is.

NEIL ARMSTRONG, not a flag. But the man. His deeds. If anything the Flag planting is probably removed so as to put the focus solely on him.
It's HIS story.

Looks like an attempt to look at his life differently to all of the MSM stuff we've all seen a billion times before.

Those who take issue with a flag moment are really missing the entire point of the film and I reckon their feeling of being insulted and disrespected etc. is completely misplaced and unearned.

That's my 10 cents on the matter.

Could be an awesome film. Maybe it's not. That is all that concerns me when it comes to watching it.
For me it's like saying they cut from the film the first time in his life Neil took a dump.
HOW DARE THEY! I'm not watching this film......

Don't watch it. You're free to do so but the reasoning I am seeing for expressing a desire to do so just seems stupid.
Maybe watch the film before you're disappointed with it folks, and if no flag planting in it completely destroys the film for you then maybe cry about it.

These actors, directors and all the films technical crew put a lot of time, effort and money into bringing Neils story to film.
Isn't he the great American Hero?
Not seeing a film about that hero, that national icon, because of the flag situation seems a billion times more disrespectful and offensive than not having a scene with the flag planting if you ask me.

That's more un-American than what you feel these film makers have done.

You seriously dishonor the guy when you place more importance on a piece of cloth than what it took for him to get it there and what he did for us as a species.

edit on 1-9-2018 by AtomicKangaroo because: typo stuff

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: AtomicKangaroo
Could be an awesome film.

If you're into Armstrong's story then you will really appreciate it. He was also very humble and reluctant to talk publicly about his place in history with any sort of self-promotion so this film did a good job of digging into what made him tick and his monumental efforts to be a part of the United State's Apollo team.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Many care about an intentional choice to make this about a human achievement not a US achievement. Many view him as an American hero regardless of whether he thought he was one. The fact they made a movie is proof he is.

Many of us are sick of political correctness and the need to make America never that great and view this as part of the same thinking.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
Many care about an intentional choice to make this about a human achievement not a US achievement.

Those marys are free to fret about a Neil Armstrong film being about Neil Armstrong and not about something else. After seeing the film it personally left me feeling more patriotic than less. The man is a hero whether he felt like one or not.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join