It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flag question

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
It's a four day old issue, but...

Should the NFL be expected to honor the flag of a fallen hero?

...asking for the media.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: LedermanStudio

Heroes die every day.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   
No. Its football, g-dam it, can we just enjoy a good game without this BS popping up?

Players wanna kneel? Who the F cares?

IT'S FOOTBALL!!

Wanna honor a fallen hero? There's a place and time for that, and a football field during the season isnt either one.

Give it a f-ing rest already.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: DeepImpactX

I vote this for comment of the day.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   

I'm thinking that the irony and sarcasm might be too deeply embedded in the question...

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   

I like your animations...J.

Welcome!

edit on 31-8-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Then spell it out for us please?

As your question stands: No, it shouldn't. And the national anthem shouldn't even be played at games, as every team in the league is american, so there is no international competition, therefore, no need to demonstrate what country they're from. It's a sport. There is zero need to inject politics and government into it.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeepImpactX

Wanna honor a fallen hero? There's a place and time for that, and a football field during the season isnt either one.

Give it a f-ing rest already.

Wanting to protest while on the job is not acceptable, period...anywhere...lol

We can give it a rest, but it seems you say it is ok to protests, but for anyone to have an opinion about that protest...you want to just give it a rest... How about the players give it a rest and actually protest outside of work...like go down to the inner cities where a lot of this happens and protest there.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: LedermanStudio

I'm thinking that the irony and sarcasm might be too deeply embedded in the question...

Usually irony and sarcasm on ATS is met with glassy eyed stares and whaaa? Best used discretely and sparingly!!
edit on 31-8-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

How about we just remove all politics from games? There's no reason to even play the national anthem at a ball game. Stop playing it, protests go away.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: narrator

The press has been very critical towards the Trump administration about his stand on the NFL and the flag.

The press was just very critical towards the Trump administration because he did not quickly respect the flag in honor of McCain.

If the press demanded that Trump lower the flag, shouldn't they demand that NFL players respect the flag?
(making it rather obvious that none of them gave a toss about the the topic in the first place?)

...It seemed clearer in my head. Perhaps the juice wasn't worth the squeeze on this one...

edit on 31-8-2018 by LedermanStudio because: oops stuff

edit on 31-8-2018 by LedermanStudio because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: narrator

merkins seem to me obsessed with playing thier anthem at public events :

rodeoes , county fairs etc etc etc

i shall not speculate on why

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Ah, gotcha. I understand now.

I think this particular instance is comparing apple juice to orange juice (see what I did there?), meaning that people were upset at the Trump administration because the White House is the home of politics in America, and they should've been quicker to show McCain respect in death, due to the fact that he was a member of our political system for decades.
Folks are upset at Trump for the NFL thing because he (and the players) are trying to inject politics where it doesn't belong (a game). Players aren't kneeling because they aren't honoring a person, they're kneeling because they're protesting political/racial standards/inequalities in our country.
Not the same thing.
In one instance (flag at half-mast), they are honoring a man. In the other (players kneeling), they are protesting injustice.

Different kinds of juice.
edit on 31-8-2018 by narrator because: wording

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: narrator

How about we just remove all politics from games? There's no reason to even play the national anthem at a ball game. Stop playing it, protests go away.

Sure...lets remove all statues...history etc....maybe start over with page one of a history book starting in 2018. I understand your point, but it seems people want to do away with American tradition and culture.

You saying there is no reason....speaks more words than you might know.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

The press is only interested in providing an anti-Trump narrative, so it's moot which point they choose to tear into him over one day from the next imo. I think both sides can even agree this time on whose side the media plays for.

It's a bloody circus that has all the trimmings of being all kinds of on purpose on so many scary levels.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Players aren't kneeling because they aren't honoring a person, they're kneeling because they're protesting political/racial standards/inequalities in our country.
Not the same thing.

How about using it as a foot wipe before the game, or having a burning ceremony on the sidelines before the game? Are you allowed to protest at work? I would say about 99.99% of workers can't and still keep their jobs. Why would they not go down into an inner city and do the protesting there where they most likely should be doing it.

In one instance (flag at half-mast), they are honoring a man. In the other (players kneeling), they are protesting injustice.

Different kinds of juice.

Trump followed protocol, but I have a feeling that if he lowered the flag one second after McCain died people would still find fault...lol

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   

That's a straw man. I said nothing about removing history. Playing the national anthem at a football game isn't an historical thing. It hasn't been done since the inception of NFL. It started being regularly played at NFL games after WWII, and the players didn't even stand for it regularly until 2009 (they stayed in the locker room before then, except Super Bowls and immediately after 9/11).

So, is there a true, good reason why it should be played at a game?

What words is my opinion speaking for me, since I'm not aware?
edit on 31-8-2018 by narrator because: eta

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

These are also straw men. I said nothing of the sort. Wiping their feet with it, or a burning ceremony on the sidelines? That's waaaay different than taking a knee. (although, it is just a piece of cloth...tons of proud americans wear flag underwear, arguably worse than wiping their feet).

I have nothing to protest at work, because political policies and leanings play no part in my job.

However, I agree that there is a better time and place to protest than during a game. Therefore, removing the cause of protest will end the protests. Problem solved.

People of all sides find fault in every situation. It's the nature of man.
edit on 31-8-2018 by narrator because: spelling

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: DeepImpactX

I vote this for comment of the day.

Hey, have a star buddy.

edit on 31-8-2018 by DeepImpactX because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Pentagon pays sports teams millions for "paid patriotism"

Gotta keep that war support up.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join