It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Government Claims China Using LinkedIn to Recruit Spies in America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Not sure where to put this but...

Seems like China is the biggest threat to America right now.

America’s top spy catcher told Reuters that Beijing is using the networking site to track down and try to recruit Americans who have access to government and commercial secrets. William Evanina, the U.S. counterintelligence chief, said LinkedIn, which is owned by Microsoft, has been informed about China’s “super aggressive” use of the site. “I recently saw that Twitter is canceling, I don’t know, millions of fake accounts, and our request would be maybe LinkedIn could go ahead and be part of that,” said Evanina.

LinkedIn confirmed the espionage efforts, with spokesman Paul Rockwell saying: “We are doing everything we can to identify and stop this activity. We’ve never waited for requests to act and actively identify bad actors and remove bad accounts using information we uncover and intelligence from a variety of sources including government agencies.” China’s foreign ministry described the report as “complete nonsense” and accused the U.S. of having “ulterior motives.”

So we have both U.S. counterintelligence chief AND Linkedin confirming this is true, but China is still denying like they did with the other recent stories about China having access to Hillary Clinton's server.

Last year, German intelligence services claimed that Chinese spies were targeting German government workers, and claimed that over 10,000 had been contacted.

“Chinese intelligence services are using new strategies of attack in the digital space. Social networks, especially LinkedIn, are being used in an ambitious manner to gather information and for recruitment. We are dealing with a broad attempt to infiltrate parliaments, ministries and administrations.” said Hans-Georg Maassen, head of the Bundesamt für Verfassungsschutz (BfV) back in December of 2017.

Looking forward to hear everyone's opinion on this.

Daily Beast

Gizmodo

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: vinifalou
I am free for hire!

Any Chinese want a British spy just pm me.

North Koreans, Russians and Iranians can apply too.

I would require a competitive salary though and benefits.

Screw the UK after how the governments #ed me over.
edit on 31-8-2018 by DieGloke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: DieGloke

I guess they're only looking for Americans with access to state secrets ://

Maybe if you were Hillary Clinton they would've sent you an offer.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: vinifalou

Yeah, I am a teacher so no state secrets to give up, unless they want the marking key to the AQA exam papers or what's for dinner in the cafeteria.
edit on 31-8-2018 by DieGloke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I always find it funny that half the country wants no tariffs with china and the other half does. Where I stand.... Hasn't this country continually spied, stolen, and who knows what against the US? Aren't we in an Arms Race with china? Doesn't china act inhumane towards it's own people? Isn't china about everything we're not? Child labor issues included?

Why in sam hell are we even messing with china? We should be pointing all weapons at them and dare them ... Doing it again and see what happens!

Instead, we're worries about empty threats in Iran. Granted, I can see Iran becoming a threat, but right now china is the bigger threat. All eyes need to be on them.

We should embargo china, not setup tariffs. Tariffs just means that we'll deal with them if they renegotiate. China has never EVER been any good to the US. They take jobs from our people, buy up our properties, send us crap goods, send us poisoned goods and products.

That's my opinion.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   

I think they already did. Her response was.....?

*Slides Laptop over* "I'll just leave this right here. Password is 'Password'".

Wonder what she got out of it. Didn't the same thing happen to old billy boy? We had big secrets stolen then. I think they were aircraft secrets and their new jets look an awful lot like ours.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Bingo.

If you go look into the donations the Clinton Foundation received from the Chinese since 2010 you'll be surprised. Or maybe not.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   

a reply to: StallionDuck

Bingo.

If you go look into the donations the Clinton Foundation received from the Chinese since 2010 you'll be surprised. Or maybe not.

The old saying goes.... "Fool me once"...

Yeah, these days, nothing surprises me. Though, I'm still baffled that so many bodies, so many supposed "investigations", so many laws broken, perhaps even war crimes involved.... and no one with any real authority digs into it. No real investigations. Well, believable ones anyways. This is plain and simple, a crime boss family and yet even Al Capone got caught via the IRS of all agencies.

But noooo... Trump and HIS tax returns. People have used this so much that you KNOW that the IRS looked into his funds and you can bet that if he was dirty, they most certainly would have found something and buried him. If they didn't find anything, why in the world would I care about his income tax records. That's like trade secret profiling for businessmen, which is what Trump is/was.

But yeah, I'd love to know what they really got out of it. Has to be more than just money. Maybe great dragon emperor gave them golden honey of kubla khan so they will live forever. Unfortunately it doesn't make you younger in the process. lol

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Have the NSA track the users. When any contact the Chinese, there's you traitor.

Actually it is most likely already being done - it just money comes before treason.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Sounds like the NSA should be tracking the DOJ.

I'm available for an analyst gig, btw. Langley or Beijing, doesn't matter. All the same to me at this point anyway.
edit on 8/31/18 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Seems like China is the biggest threat to America right now.

If we'd just tell it like it is , then you've got the Shanghai Co-operation Organisation to worry about . That's your biggest threat .
We should all realise that co-operation means exactly that : countries co-operating , it has happened in the West for years, and now the SCO ,comprising the BRICASTI nations , run a shared operation .
On what levels? Economic and banking , borders and security , intelligence and counter-Intelligence , military operations and strategic defense , internal politics and policing , information and technology (they even have their own hardwire www.)

Who are they ? You've got a conglomeration of China , Russia , India , Pakistan , Iran , the whole of central asia eg Kazakstan and Georgia and latterly Turkey and on other continents than Eurasia : South Africa and Brazil .

So you can see , there is no 'greatest threat' from a single country , but America the uni-polarist faction of the Western Co-Operation Organisation (which technically doesnt exist and splits are forming) is being faced down by an whole array of active multi-polarists which are in charge of entire nations , large ones at that . They've been all over this for several years . Enough to perhaps assert that Trump was fielded in a last ditch attempt to salvage some kind of continuance for the international status quo , ie America first
edit on 31-8-2018 by ZIPMATT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

The powers know what is going on. The right people must be getting to money.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Yesterday, Russia. Today, China. Tomorrow- what.. the UK? Greenland? Canada? I'm seeing a lot of finger pointing as of late, and I wonder who next is going to have a meaty digit shoved up their nose as time goes on. *Checks program* Aww crud. To Be Announced by raffle.

I don't say this very often at all, but mark my words: Somewhere in the somewhat near future, some other country is going to be blamed for this heap of BS. It's simply a matter of time.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I can't say as I've been contacted by anyone yet, but I can say that a number of us have been briefed that we are reasonably high profile targets of recruiting just based on our job descriptions and duties. I don't even work for the government or have clearance, so that should tell you how wide this particular net goes. It's not just China though, it's pretty much any country with an interest in the US cyber capabilities.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: vinifalou

Dude! But, But, But, But, But.....But RUSSIA!!!

Dude! But, But, But, But, But.....But PUTIN!!!

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I've had an encounter with a Chinese spy in tbe US like 10 years ago. Are you supposed to report these type of people? Where at?

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   
fake news

China can buy any info they want from any politician

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Judging by the amount of odd friend requests I get from random Chinese folks no where near connected to my industry or other people in it, I'm gonna say yes the CCP is actively engaged in this.

Their denial and counteraccusation is evidence enough based on my experiences here in China.

new topics

top topics

join