It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Cable going the way of the golden Hollywood era?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I have moved from video games to produced content for my escapism, as our children are interested in engaging both their mother and I. So I do not get the time to play games the way I was used to. Sadly I could not get the original NES to boot to any game for my kids. They do love watching mom "help" them play the Lego games on Wii.

I have recently come across an HBO miniseries 'Gunpowder' which hosts a cast of many notable actors. Some of which are known to fans of Westworld and Game of Thrones.

I'm thinking HBO might be following in the footsteps of the Golden age, where studios own the actors.

What do you all think?
I would appreciate comments from the industry folk I know of on this site.

ETA: I appreciate all comments, but I know there are others in the performing arts on this site.
edit on 30-8-2018 by randomtangentsrme because: Inclusive.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

It's sure starting to look that way! But it could also be a case of trying to keep a good cast that works well with each other together. I see Rob Zombie uses most of the same cast for all of his movies. I read an interview with him where he said if it ain't broke don't fix it! Maybe Hollywood stars have become such egocentric divas that it is becoming increasingly difficult to find casts that work well together or just get along in general.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

In this case it's a mixed cast. But I agree with you, when there is synergy, why fight it. But at the same time it dose set a precedent that I am not fond of.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Cable fees are way too high for what one gets.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I was thinking the same myself, it feel like Netflix has the same set of actors they wheel out for all their own produced content.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 04:11 AM
link   
HBO has been reusing actors for their series for years. Lots of actors from OZ appear in The Wire and Sopranos and on and on. Netflix is doing the same thing now. Pretty standard business practice.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 04:35 AM
link   

, where studios own the actors.

one would hope not

all talent should be free beyond the scope of a single contract for one fim // series

" owning " the ability to work elswhere = abhorent

but sadly - the reality is depressing

i get some glimpses of the sharp end of technical support on docus and action sequences

and see some utterly ergregious contract demands - ie

unless you do project a [ an utter frace - with no profit ] we will not re-hire you for season 2 of project b

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Should watch the documentary "Becoming Cary Grant". He was one of the earlier guys to break away after his contract was up and took parts he chose. I always liked him as one of my old favorites but after watching the show had much more respect for him and the balls this guy had leaving England in his teens and coming to america with a troupe called the Pender troupe and staying when the troupe went back across the pond.

Once told by an interviewer, "Everybody would like to be Cary Grant", Grant is said to have replied, "So would I." Cary Grant was born Archibald Alexander Leach on January 18, 1904 in Horfield, Bristol, England.

I liked the old days when actors would never do a commercial. When I was young it meant you were washed out and sold out. I
edit on 31-8-2018 by savagediver because: spelling

edit on 31-8-2018 by savagediver because: ok so I am hungover

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme
I have moved from video games to produced content for my escapism, as our children are interested in engaging both their mother and I. So I do not get the time to play games the way I was used to. Sadly I could not get the original NES to boot to any game for my kids. They do love watching mom "help" them play the Lego games on Wii.

I have recently come across an HBO miniseries 'Gunpowder' which hosts a cast of many notable actors. Some of which are known to fans of Westworld and Game of Thrones.

I'm thinking HBO might be following in the footsteps of the Golden age, where studios own the actors.

What do you all think?
I would appreciate comments from the industry folk I know of on this site.

ETA: I appreciate all comments, but I know there are others in the performing arts on this site.

The term "cable" is recvg negative connotations these days....

But it's become the salvation for older out-of-work-lesser-seen actors in the form of movie/shows on "made-for-tv" channels...

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

, where studios own the actors.

" owning " the ability to work elswhere = abhorent

Pretty standard in the workplace.

EX: I deliver pizzas for a franchishee of a large corp. No names mentioned, but all stores have a red roof, and rhymes w/ 'Giza Butt'.
(I have an AAS in IT, over 20 certifications, and 2 classes from bacheloers. TBH, I make more $$$ delivering food. But I digress, sorry)

I CAN work a 2nd job if I chose, but not for a similar company, 'Similar' is what my pre-hire paperwork/contract said, no interpretation was offered. So I apparently can't deliver for Papa Johns, etc. Depending on the way you read the contract, I cant even work anywhere that serves food as it's focus. I've been told that I can be fired for working a C-store that has a fast food place attached, but unlikely.

When you work somewhere, take thier $$$, they have some right to decide what you do w/ thier knowledge. I get that.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   

I don't think they could own actors like the old days.

I think the actors in HBO's case like working for HBO which puts up a lot of money. They also like working with quality production teams and directors, which HBO has. And probably they have good on screen chemistry with many of the actors they have worked with in the past while creating HBO shows.

Triple threat to me, in a good way.

We're entering into what I hope is the golden age of non-network content creation between HBO, Netflix, Starz and some other companies, if we are in it already. Amazon picked up Expanse for which I am very thankful. I think this is the future for better or worse, thankfully right now it's better.

I seriously doubt any actor/actress in their right mind would sign away to be exclusively "HBO" or something like that. They like and value freedom to work on projects that are interesting. It just so happens HBO has a lot of them.

top topics

join