It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can you make ATS Great Again

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Same here.

I may not appreciate the things you say sometimes, but I do appreciate the effort you put into saying them, the way you frame and structure your posts.

Heh... I suppose we both look at the output of one another and think "Well, its BS alright, but at least its good quality BS!"

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I think the OP's point was missed. He's not saying that the political stuff is done in a lazy fashion but political topics are low hanging fruit. Easy to Google and repost.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
I think the OP's point was missed. He's not saying that the political stuff is done in a lazy fashion but political topics are low hanging fruit. Easy to Google and repost.

But so are other topics.

Look I agree that the topics where people do a lot of research are often better.

And believe it or not, despite being a dumb trump supporter
, I do make threads like that sometimes.

But lest not act like most of the non political threads arent the same.

Someone will post an article about a science discovery, and say hey thats cool what do you think.

But hopefully the OP and others that are upset with these lazy threads will come up with some orginal well researched in depth threads for us all to enjoy.

I know I will support threads like that

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

If that is the case, they could have done a better job of making the case specifically against lazy political threads. There are many threads on the subject that have been really good examinations of the geopolitical situation, or at least spawned great discussions on the topic, and although its been said already, it bares repeating that this is a crucial, pivotal moment in history, a moment where the underpinnings are as close to the surface as they have ever been. This is a moment where the rotten undercarriage of a nation, is close to being seen by all who live in it, a moment where work to correct its faults could well begin in earnest.

To take ones eye off that particular ball now, would be a balls up of epic proportions, no matter which way you THINK that nation is broken. No matter which side of the political divide one happens to be on, the fact remains that constant vigilance and discussion is necessary now, more so than it has been in decades. Without it, all there will be are the morning news channels, and the internet video producers and their propagandism to absorb, a dangerous state of affairs if ever there was one.

The political threads will not be going away, so all we can do is ensure that when we post them, we post quality commentary and ask good questions. Its vital that we do this.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Same here.

I may not appreciate the things you say sometimes, but I do appreciate the effort you put into saying them, the way you frame and structure your posts.

Heh... I suppose we both look at the output of one another and think "Well, its BS alright, but at least its good quality BS!"

Hahaha!

Yeah man, I give you a hard time (just because it seems you advocate violence, though hopefully I am mistaken) but I view you as someone who although I think is wrong is very sincere and intelligent. And posts like yours challenge me to have a more well reasoned defense of my beliefs.

And to me that is the best thing that I gain on ATS

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   

I have said many times, that one of the things I have ALWAYS loved about this site, was that it offered me a chance to sharpen my wit, by placing me in an environment where there are people of intellect, who know how to discuss matters in a manner which allows for a full expression of deep understanding of a subject matter.

Whether it is physics, geopolitics, or discussion of entertainment and the arts, I always find someone who can engage with the material in a deeper manner, than I can find in conversation in my physical proximity. That access has been fundamental in keeping my brain from atrophy, because Lord knows, living in Essex, England, there are too few opportunities to match wits with folk, mostly because wits are rarer than diamond dust in these parts!

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   
And once again another thread is turned into a Trump thread!

Maybe you're not actually getting the point? It's not about whether or not politics is an interesting subject, it's about how as far back as the Obama/ Romney election the tone at ATS switched from a being a sounding board for a broad range of conspiracies and multiple interests to being mainly focused on politics in general with only a sprinkling of anything else- not from lack of people posting alternatives but because the majority of the membership is drinking the Kool-aid.

The MSM wants everyone focused on the narrative its controllers have chosen to cause civil strife among the populace. They WANT us to be single minded and mad as hell at each other, and it is working! What goings on in the world are we all missing because of this? At one time there would be serious skepticism as to WHY there is so much media focus on the Trump presidency and what they are trying to hide behind all of the controversy but not any more!

Consider this: Families have become broken because of the "either you're on our side or theirs" narrative that most are eating up like warm chocolate chip cookies. One of my own children doesn't speak to most of the family any longer because she can't just agree to disagree like a normal person any more. I have spoken to many, many people who are having the same issues within their own family structures. It is almost like the American Civil War all over again with brother against brother, only this time it is the media pushing it down everyone's throats for their own purposes. Many of us are becoming sick and tired of it, thus the OP's frustration.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I get what you are saying, but we all know how this site works. You post a thread, and if people are interested, it gets stars and flags, and the more it gets, the higher and more visible it goes up the "Live" page.
So obviously people are interested, no matter how you feel about them.

There have been some really interesting threads about other stuff lately. Just go to forums and pick a subject. I've been in RATS, PETS, BIGFOOT, ect.

They just don't have as many people that seem to be interested in those subjects.
So, if you want to see other stuff up front, people need to be more supportive of the other types of threads they are interested in.

Sometimes you have to go looking for buried treasure!

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Well if you look at alternative topics here you'll note they get a lot of S&F support. They actually have a better recognition than political topics. It's just that politics makes for more discussion.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Groot
How can you make ATS Great Again

I could stop posting.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

That would be the OPPOSITE of making ATS great! That would be like taking Joey out of Friends, which would be a shame because paradoxically, its the only thing he was good in, but he was the best thing about the show... I can't stand it to be honest, but that character meant I could at least watch it without drop kicking the television through the wall and pissing on its sparking remains!

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Fine, I'll stick around.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

See that you do!

Holy CRAP man, don't freak me out like that! Its not Halloween yet!

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

Outstanding comment. Thanks, and I totally agree.

I find it particularly odd that in the US at least, there is so much focus on politics. Its a small minority of the country that sees politcs first as the best way to get what they want What they dont realize is thaat politics is the singularly least efficient way to get what you want, particularly in the US where the quality of the politicians is so low they have altogether lost the art of compromise.

It might help if more of the people obsessed with politics stoped and realized that the US is less a political jurisdiction than it is a free market capitalist jurisdiction. Start playing in that ball field and they could achieve a lot more much faster than fighting over politics.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Groot

Agreed Groot

Every last thing you said is truth. Apparently ~50% of this country has forgotten that losing an election/so many state offices has serious consequences.

Politics is ruining ATS like it has already ruined our country. I suppose it is good future historians (if any are left) will have such a strong historical record to examine

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Hey mods, how about a little moderation here. Whole lot of thread drifting going on.

Sorry if I hurt peoples feelings by calling threads lazy. The reason why I called them that is because almost everything you see on the front page can be found in every news outlet there is , regurgitated 1000 times. ATS has become like the Huffington Post or New York Times with a little back page for weird news and science.

This use to be an alternative site, now the users have turned it into a normal , run of the mill news source.

Guess I will do what I use to do and tear off the back page to keep for reading and throw the rest of the newspaper in the trash where it belongs.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   

You don't have to apologize buddy..to anybody. You are 100% right in what you said. ATS is becoming little more than a news aggregation site (regarding politics, anyhow) and most threads are nothing but 24/7 whining about someone not getting their way or because things aren't perfect (nor will they ever be perfect)

No you are spot on with your OP and your assessment. Sometimes people need harsh language or a stern talking to so they can wake up and get their act together. And it is safe to say this country is in desperate need of that right now. If we aren't already past the point of no return (which we may well be), we don't have much time left to right this ship and change course. And blunt, brutal honesty is the only way to accomplish that. If we continue down the path of hyperbole, political partisanship, biased lies, propaganda entertainment news, DEEPSTATE apologists, no compromise attitude, culture war BS this country is very likely to disintegrate

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns

You don't have to apologize buddy..to anybody. You are 100% right in what you said. ATS is becoming little more than a news aggregation site (regarding politics, anyhow) and most threads are nothing but 24/7 whining about someone not getting their way or because things aren't perfect (nor will they ever be perfect)

No you are spot on with your OP and your assessment. Sometimes people need harsh language or a stern talking to so they can wake up and get their act together. And it is safe to say this country is in desperate need of that right now. If we aren't already past the point of no return (which we may well be), we don't have much time left to right this ship and change course. And blunt, brutal honesty is the only way to accomplish that. If we continue down the path of hyperbole, political partisanship, biased lies, propaganda entertainment news, DEEPSTATE apologists, no compromise attitude, culture war BS this country is very likely to disintegrate

Thanks, and I agree with everything you have stated. Ats is a reflection of what our country has become and it isn't pretty.
There is a valid reason why I haven't watched news for years. It's no longer news, just opinions.

Give me some good , interesting stories that you can't find anywhere else.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

originally posted by: caterpillage
It's member created content. Create some content.

He has. He's created 9 threads within the last 6 days. I've created 6 threads within the past 4 days. None of them are political in nature. Others are trying but the political threads squeeze them out. Most of the political threads are just regurgitations from the MSM.

You did. I noticed it and I appreciated it.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

You did. I noticed it and I appreciated it.

Thank you! I am not really a thread maker, but the hubs and I hoped that if we got the ball rolling maybe others would join in-and they have to some extent. Sad thing is that just like in this thread some people come along and make it political anyway and the whole focus changes.

Anyway, crossing my fingers that more members keep trying!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join