It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Justice Department sides with Asian-Americans over Harvards racist admissions

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
a reply to: JAGStorm

#3, American isn't actually a language.

I fully disagree!

It is called American English and no other country in the world uses the English in the same form as we do.

If you can communicate in American then you have successfully completed the first step of naturalization.

I also understand that the article is more geared toward Asians born in America and not immigrants so they are not Asians but Americans if they are born here so i can only assume the op is speaking of immigrants.

American is not a language. American English in itself is not a language but a variant of English, or British English. The USA doesn't have an official language, so of people want to speak Mandarin or Spanish it's their choice. "Land of the free", right?

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: JameSimon

Yes english is the official language of the usa. However we really do not speak english we speak american english. Hence american.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
a reply to: JameSimon

Yes english is the official language of the usa.

No it isn't. The United States does not have an official language. American English is the unofficial national language, but there is no official language. The founders explicitly chose to not pick one, and if they would have, it might have been German instead of English. This is one of those areas that makes the U.S. different than most other countries: no official language.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

So if people are expected to achieve they will, and if their family and community doesn't expect much they won't. Sounds like a problem with the culture.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join