It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Justice Department sides with Asian-Americans over Harvards racist admissions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

FINALLY!

I'm against racism of any kind. We need to get rid of affirmative action completely. It is truly as racist as it gets.
I never understood how any person of color is ok with getting an easy in because others don't feel they are smart enough. Don't even tell me oh they are disadvantaged from the start. If that were the case then Asians would be in the same boat. Since Asians don't fit that narrative what do they do, they make it even harder for them to get in these schools!! Harvard is being targeted but we know it has happened with others schools too. How crazy is it that schools wouldn't want the smartest hardest working people?

This is not just about school admissions. It is about everything wrong with our society. It is punishing people who go the extra mile to compensate for people too lazy, too dumb, or without the moral compass to just do better (or in this case maybe their parents or lack thereof) By putting bandaids on these problems for so long we really only hurting people in the long run. If Asians, or whites, or whatever fill up the top 50% of these schools, it should say to the other races that they need to get their educational act together.

Why is this even a thing, can't we just have students? Not white students, not black, not asian, not hispanic, just student??? The best student, the smartest, the ones that work the hardest???

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Got a link that is not the Corrupt News Network ?, I don't believe half of what they say and the rest neither....

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Agreed, race should not even be on the admission forms.

Zerohedge
ed it on 30-8-2018 by joemoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Why ?

Because the left is obsessed with identity politics.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
So no numbers, but I know a Hispanic student that's in Harvard right now....

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
This is great news for those of us who dislike idneity politics and hurting people based on their race.

Here is a thread I did on this very problem a long time ago.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And a great article that outlines the problem in depth.

www.unz.com...

It is a shame how asian people are punished in admissions based on their race.

Anyone who is ok with affirmative action needs to read this to understand the consequences.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: manuelram16

www.wbur.org...

"Citing a 2013 analysis by Harvard's Office of Institutional Research, the SFFA said in a federal court filing on Friday that if academics were the only criterion, Asian-American students would have made up more than 43 percent of students who were admitted, rather than the actual 18.7 percent.

"Even if other criteria — such as legacy students, athletic recruiting and extracurricular and personal attributes — are included, the plaintiffs say, the number of Asian-Americans at Harvard would still have risen to more than 26 percent."

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Don't even tell me oh they are disadvantaged from the start. If that were the case then Asians would be in the same boat.

Although I agree race should not be included on college admissions your comment is pure BS.

Every Asian I know who was born in America has been taught since birth that they must get good grades and become a doctor, lawyer or obtain some other prestigious position by graduating college.

Check the Asian memes for what it means to be an Asain that doesn't succeed. Are their some outliers in the Asaian community where they are not raised to believe in themselves and education, of course.

But their is a reason why Asains seem to do better in school and it has nothing to do with the intelligence they are born with, but everything to do with the expectations set apon them by family and community.

This same kind of push and expectations are not seen in communities of Blacks and Hispanics. There is deffinately a socio-economic devide amongst the races. To try to imply otherwise is ignorant or disingenuous.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
So it's now at 18.3% and they want 43%.....

quick check gave me this:

African American 14.6%
Asian American 22.2%
Hispanic or Latino 11.6%
Native American or Pacific Islander 2.5%

college.harvard.edu...
edit on 30-8-2018 by manuelram16 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   
would love to see the President to an exec order

fed gummint no longer recognizes race

the left would go batsnot crazy

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   
No race should not be a factor.

Speaking American clearly should be.

Yes i said American.

That should be a requirement in order to serve the public.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

Yes, race should not be a factor.

#2, America does not have an official language.

#3, American isn't actually a language.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Maybe I should have clarified, When I talk about disadvantaged I am referring to college admittance criteria. Not, family and community involvement. Although I wholeheartedly agree, the black and hispanic community seem to fall very far behind asians and whites in that regards.

Poor Asian kid with straight A's and a 4.5 average doesn't get accepted to Harvard
Poor Hispanic kid with B- and 3.6 average gets in.
Both from Boston, both English as a second language, both from families below the poverty level. Yes this is real.

In the above example, the Asian is just as "disadvantaged" as the Hispanic kid. They should be accepted before the Hispanic kid based on test stores, grades, extracurriculars but they are not. That is why there is a lawsuit. They are being denied based on being Asian.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   

#3, American isn't actually a language.

I fully disagree!

It is called American English and no other country in the world uses the English in the same form as we do.

If you can communicate in American then you have successfully completed the first step of naturalization.

I also understand that the article is more geared toward Asians born in America and not immigrants so they are not Asians but Americans if they are born here so i can only assume the op is speaking of immigrants.
edit on 30-8-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

Are you saying blacks and Hispanics don’t push their kids to do well??? That would be cultural not
Socio-economical.

Doesn’t stating that one culture is superior to another make one a racist??

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   
The same is true for white applicants too. Not identical numbers but similar issue.

Something people are reticent to talk about is the fact that compared to their representation in the general population, Jewish students are way over represented in elite colleges. In fact, when you factor them in to whites, they make up a lot of those whites in such colleges.

edit on 30-8-2018 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   

That's the BS.

Asians are often poor much like blacks and latinos, and yet because Asians have that cultural expectation of success in education, they push through it and rise to success.

If blacks and latinos had that cultural drive, where would they be?

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson

Are you saying blacks and Hispanics don’t push their kids to do well??? That would be cultural not
Socio-economical.

Doesn’t stating that one culture is superior to another make one a racist??

No it's called being honest.

Successful blacks and hispanics do push their kids so it's not completely cultural. Which is why I chose the wording that I did. Even poor white people typically don't expect their kids to be college graduate type of successfull.

In many poor areas, with many races, it is considered a major accomplishment just to go to college. In the Asian community it's considered part of growing up. There are gang infested Asian communities that resemble other poor communities from an educational standpoint but they represent a minority in this country.

Children will likely live up to the expectations their parents and community set for them regardless of race. If a child is raised to believe a 3.0 High School GPA and going to college is major accomplishment that is likely the highest level they will achieve.

If a child is raised to believe that it's possible to strive for and achieve a 4.0 in high school and that college is just another step that is expected out of them on thier way to adulthood. They are likely to achieve those results or at least come close enough that they find thier way into college and land a decent paying job. Again reguardless of race.

Of course if you want to accuse me of being racist..

You can tell my mixed race child, the women I've dated of various races, my friends of various races and all my past employees of various races that I am racist and they will laugh at you and wonder why you would bring that up based on my comment.

edit on 30-8-2018 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

That's the BS.

Asians are often poor much like blacks and latinos, and yet because Asians have that cultural expectation of success in education, they push through it and rise to success.

If blacks and latinos had that cultural drive, where would they be?

I think I wasn't clear in my words. I agree with you. If Blacks and Latinos had the same cultural drive I believe they would be equally as successful as the Asian community.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join