It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious fish disappearance

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I have gotten back into having fish again after a couple of decades of being fish free. I have started with a 35 gallon freshwater tank. So far so good, have had several fish deaths in the first two months but I think the nitrite cycle has finally evened out and the slime in the tank is now a fish friendly slime.

Anyway, last two fish to die have completely disappeared. There one day - gone the next. My only thought is that they jumped out of the tank somehow and were then eaten by my cat or dog. The thing though is that there is only one tiny little area by the pump for them to jump out. I could see one fish doing that by chance, but 2 in the same month?

Does anyone think that maybe a person in my family is playing a joke on me? Like maybe one of my children noticed it dead, disposed of it, and then just aren't telling me for a laugh?

That is the only two things I can think of.

Ok, thanks for letting me waste some of your time on this very important issue.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

Is it possible they were eaten by the other fish?

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Could it be trying to float but is stuck under a structure where you can't see it? Or maybe it's playing real good hide n seek.
edit on 8/30/2018 by 5ofineed5aladder because: Accidentally hit reply early

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Are they small enough to get sucked up in the pumps?

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz

Is it possible they were eaten by the other fish?

Possible, but in a day? These are all really small fish. It takes them 20 minutes to eat a pinch of fish flakes.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: 5ofineed5aladder
Could it be trying to float but is stuck under a structure where you can't see it? Or maybe it's playing real good hide n seek.

That could be. THis weekend I am planning a vacuum so maybe I will find them. But if true they must be in a really weird place. The water is "crystal clear". But I did over decorate. Have a whole sunken Atlantis thing going on.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

Are they small enough to get sucked up in the pumps?

No, but once one of them died and it was stuck to it. I guess he was weakened and dying and just died close enough to it to get stuck to it. I felt bad for the poor fish.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Hard to say without more specifics like what your stocking is.

Sometimes, fish will eat each other. Any fish that can fit another one inside its mouth will try, even the so-called peaceful community fish are not above making a meal out of something appropriately small.

There are other reasons for a disappearance too, but without knowing what you have, etc., it's hard to say if that's possible.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   

You're lucky we have video .

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: 14377

You're lucky we have video .

Excellent! I can see my fishy's jumping out being like "I'm FREE!" and then, "Oh crap." :-(

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Hard to say without more specifics like what your stocking is.

Sometimes, fish will eat each other. Any fish that can fit another one inside its mouth will try, even the so-called peaceful community fish are not above making a meal out of something appropriately small.

There are other reasons for a disappearance too, but without knowing what you have, etc., it's hard to say if that's possible.

Nah they are all too small for that. None of them could fit in each others mouths. It would be by many nibbles.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: 5ofineed5aladder

For me this sounds like the most probable explanation .

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Is it possible that your cat retrieved the fish, floating to the top (I can't see a dog doing similar)?

Normally, I would imagine that the fish would avoid the cat's paw but if they were dead and floating to the top, perhaps the cat could hook them with a claw and get a surreptitious free feed?

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   
If they were small fish depending on the type of pump you have they are likely stuck in the inlet pipe.

You will only find a skeleton if that is the caes you would also notice an excess of matter in the filters.

Also cats can be very tricky.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Have a whole sunken Atlantis thing going on.

That's my bet. Those guys sunk into Atlantis somewhere.

-dex

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I'd check the filter then. Having a decaying fish in there, let alone two, even small ones can cause an ammonia spike especially where you're newly cycled.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I'v heard that there have been quite a few fish abductions recently, mostly by Chupacabras. Greys have been using Chupacabras to abduct them in some sort of experiment, something like Star Trek IV, The Voyage Home.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   
With all that death I would advise that you empty the tank and start over anyway.

You will most likely find your missing fish while doing that.

Next time make sure the tank is balanced before adding lots of fish though.
edit on 30-8-2018 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Fish degrade or get eaten.

If you have under gravel filter they could get sucked into gravel.

Don't use fish to cycle the tank. They are living creatures and not a means to an end.

That said, keeping fishi like being God. Good luck.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Once a fish dyes other fish start to feed on them very often. I would check this or your filter haha

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join