It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain/Trump Feud: A Different Perspective

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   
We tried to go pay our respects to Senator McCain last night. It was crazy -- both vehicle and pedestrian traffic.

McCain viewing update: Estimated 15,000 turn out to pay respects to senator at Capitol

I was surprised my husband wanted to go, because he's not political at all. But he is very disappointed in the hate directed towards a former POW who served our nation in various ways virtually his entire life. He doesn't think McCain's perfect. Neither of us voted for McCain in his last election. But we're both old school enough to believe that you don't speak ill of the dead, and especially not veterans who were held and tortured as POWs. It's not about politics for him. It's more than that. For both of us it comes down to 1 -- Not attacking anyone that cannot defend themselves; 2 -- Respecting the heartache of his family and loved ones left behind and not inflicting additional pain; and, 3 -- Respecting that it's in God's hands now.

We decided not to fight the crowd -- we both HATE crowds! And I think seeing all the people who were paying their respects was heartening for him. I reminded him that haters are always the loudest and get the most attention, and not to give them too much credit. But I decided to hunt up some more feel good articles for him this morning, and in the process found these words from Lindsey Graham that I think puts the Trump/McCain feud in perfect perspective.

'How the President feels about Senator McCain, it's his right to feel anyway he likes. I know how America feels about Senator McCain. I know how the Senate feels about Senator McCain. I know how the world feels about Senator McCain,' Graham said Tuesday morning on NBC's 'Today Show.'

'Clearly they had a contentious relationship. He's not the only one to have had a tense relationship with John McCain,' he added.

McCain was known for his temper and short fuse but, while he often got into tiffs with fellow senators, reporters, and others he usually would get over the disagreement and form a working relationship.

'He's not the only one to have a tense relationship with John McCain,' says Lindsey Graham of Trump's feud with the war hero senator

Think what you will of McCain, say what you will of McCain, but he was his own man -- for better AND worse -- and McCain knew he was not perfect. And McCain owned it. And I will say the exact same of Trump. Neither man shies away from conflict, but confronts it head on. And these two strong and opinionated men butted heads. Not surprising.

In his tribute to Senator McCain on the Senate floor, Lindsey Graham noted:

'To those who are striving as a young person, remember John McCain. He failed a lot but he never quit. And the reason we're talking about him today, and the reason I'm crying, is because he was successful in spite of his failures,' Graham said on the Senate floor Tuesday afternoon. He added: 'I do not cry for a perfect man. I cry for a man who had honor and always was willing to admit to his imperfection.'

More impressive, though, is that despite their heated differences, both Trump and McCain have shown definite deference and respect for the other. We haven't heard much about that though.

After his remarks, Graham talked to reporters about his friendship with McCain and relayed the advice the late senator gave him on dealing with President Donald Trump: 'Help him when you can, just don't get sucked into all this bull****.'

Graham added: 'I said 'roger.' So I'm going to help him where I can and not get sucked into all the other drama.'

And for Trump's part:

Sen. Lindsey Graham said Wednesday that President Donald Trump called him after he delivered an emotional farewell to Sen. John McCain on the Senate floor, telling the South Carolina Republican he "did right by his friend."

"He called yesterday after my speech and he couldn't have been nicer. He said, 'That was very sad. I just want to let you know you did right by your friend.' I said, Thank you Mr. President.'" Graham told CNN's Dana Bash in an interview on "Inside Politics" Wednesday, adding that the call from the President was "right out of the blue."

Graham says Trump called him after McCain tribute speech on Senate floor

And, of course, there is this as well:

Graham also said that White House chief of staff John Kelly had reached out to the McCain family and had spoken to Cindy McCain, offering the administration's assistance in whatever she needs.

'The President told John Kelly 'Whatever they need they get,' so let's look forward,' Graham said.

And this --

President Donald Trump hosted a dinner with evangelical leaders on Monday, praying for the shooting victims in Jacksonville, Florida, as well as Senator John McCain.

“We very much appreciate everything that Sen. McCain has done for our country,” Trump said to White House reporters, after noting that “our hearts and prayers are going to the family of Sen. John McCain.”

Donald Trump Honors John McCain, Prays for Shooting Victims with Evangelical Leaders

If McCain happens to be watching all this unfold, I'll bet he's getting a big kick out of it -- as much from his haters as his defenders. But I'll also bet that what really matters to McCain is that Trump is doing right by the heartbroken family McCain left behind. And it matters to me too. I have a little more respect and appreciation for Trump now.

ETA: Also a good read: In Washington, A Rare Relationship Without Pretense And B.S.
edit on 30-8-2018 by Boadicea because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I hear that his former running mate Sarah Palin was not even invited to his funeral.

That's kinda odd imo.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I hear that his former running mate Sarah Palin was not even invited to his funeral.

That's kinda odd imo.

I thought that was odd also -- very odd. Especially because to my knowledge, Sarah has never said an unkind word about him. Perhaps they know something we don't. Or perhaps there was some bad blood between Sarah and Cindy, or Meghan.

Exclusive: Meghan McCain Writes that Palin Brought 'Drama, Stress ... Panic' to Campaign

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Meghan was just trying to deflect the blame for the loss away from her father.

She fails to realize that conservative voters didn't really want her dad to be president and the ones that did vote for him were holding their nose as they pulled the lever.

The best quote I can recall from that election was that Republicans "voted for Palin and a heart attack".. can't remember who said it though.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

The best quote I can recall from that election was that Republicans "voted for Palin and a heart attack".. can't remember who said it though.

Who would want Palin to be president? Do those people exist?

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Meghan was just trying to deflect the blame for the loss away from her father.

That could be.

She fails to realize that conservative voters didn't really want her dad to be president and the ones that did vote for him were holding their nose as they pulled the lever.

That definitely became the case... but not without a whole lotta help from the conservative talking heads drumming it into the heads of the voters day in and day out for months.

It was all very odd at the time. I still listened to talk radio at the time -- January of 08 -- and if I remember correctly, both Rush and Hannity were both off on the same day -- a Friday, again if I remember correctly. And when they came back Monday, from then on it was all McCain bashing all the time. I stopped listening at some point and I've never tuned in again. I don't know what the deal was, but it was a coordinated attack. One might think they were trying to get Obama elected, and they actually stated it might be better to let Obama be president and muck things up so their chances would be better in 2012... We all know how that worked out!

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: Bluntone22

Who would want Palin to be president? Do those people exist?

We live in a world where oprah is a viable presidential candidate.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Never forget this perspective... the same media who are tripping over themselves to say how wonderful John McCain was also tried to destroy his character 8 years ago when he ran against Obama, accusing him of racism, womanising and being mentally ill because of his war experience.

They were far more insulting than Trump has ever been to McCain, and yet here they are pretending they loved him and using his death to attack the President.

edit on 30/8/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
Never forget this perspective... the same media who are tripping over themselves to say how wonderful John McCain was also tried to destroy his character 8 years ago when he ran against Obama, accusing him of racism, womanising and being mentally ill because of his war experience.

They were far more insulting than Trump has ever been to McCain, and yet here they are pretending they loved him and using his death to attack the President.

I don't think anyone's forgetting! Ignoring maybe... playing deaf, dumb and blind... but even that requires remembering

But your point is very well taken

new topics

top topics

join