It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: McCain Calls for Permanent Afghan Bases

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Following talks with Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai, Senator John McCain said that the United States needed to establish permanent bases in the country. Because of its location, Afghanistan is considered of strategic importance. It is close Iran, China, Pakistan, and India. McCain further indicated that a "strategic partnership" that would include economic assistance, technical assistance and a military partnership.

story.news.yahoo.com
KABUL, Afghanistan - The United States needs permanent military bases in Afghanistan to protect its "vital national security interests" in the region, Arizona Sen. John McCain said Tuesday after talks with the Afghan president.

McCain's remarks were the latest indication of American and British aspirations to cement their influence in this former al-Qaida stronghold on the doorstep of Iran, China and nuclear-armed rivals Pakistan and India.

McCain, part of a five-member Senate delegation that met President Hamid Karzai at his palace in the Afghan capital, said he was committed to a "strategic partnership that we believe must endure for many, many years."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Its a logical choice for a series of bases. They have a friendly government in Kabul, many of the smaller surrounding countries are interested in working with the U.S., and as mentioned in the article, it is a strategic location. Its clear that our troops will be there for some time as the insurgency is still making itself felt albeit alot less that it is in Iraq.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
not to metion the fact that argan has very little military of its own. Most of it's military aircraft left the country.

I am all for it. Probly make for some good traiing grounds too

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Let's get our troops out of Germany and move them to new Afghan bases! I'd much rather have our government and troops spending money there to help their nascent democracy and economy than in Germany.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   
When things were going tough in Iraq people on this forum were saying that the sooner the Iraqis would stop the attacks the sooner Americans would leave. I said the US doesn't leave a country when they win a war and I was right.
When things are peaceful it makes it easier to set up permanent bases.

[edit on 22-2-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Let's get our troops out of Germany and move them to new Afghan bases! I'd much rather have our government and troops spending money there to help their nascent democracy and economy than in Germany.

I also think the bases in Germany should be closed.
Germany is paying a billion a year towards the US bases.

American_bases_in_Germany_fs.pdf

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Actually the U.S. is looking to the goverments of Eastern Europe like Poland et al to move the bases too.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 01:14 AM
link   
As the world changes so should the places we need bases. If we leave old europe we will risk more tension later. The need for a bases in the middle east is great but turning from europe will hurt us down the road. Russia is soon going to be a major problem. Their resent support of Iran's nuclear power program is just the start. However, keeping troops in the middle east for years on end will only help feed the so called war on terrior. What are we to gain in these new nations? How will bases help the taxes payer. Could these bases be more for economic growth in India and China(ie oil pipelines)? Who is to gain from that, us or Bush's cronies?

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I don't even know how to respond.

First, we are willing to give amnesty to the Taliban (ENEMY) in Afghanistan. And now we want to make permanent bases there??? READ: Income to Taliban and Al Quiada, our ENEMY in this "WAR".
Remember, the Taliban destroyed the Budhist Statues in Afghanistan which was another reason for attacking Afghanistan.

Second, we've all heard of the oil riches of Tahkistan. We know communications took place to establish an oil pipeline through Afghahistan to get that oil. Could this be a reason to establish bases and "control" our interests?

Now that want to tell us Afghanistan has "National Security Interest" . There has never been any interest in Afghanistan until the need the "need" of this "pipeline". There is no interest in Afghanistan and there never will be. We only want it for it's access to other countries.

The only thing Afghanistan is known for internationally, is it's opium and herion (which is up 400% since the US invasion). Is that what Senator McCain thinks is so important to our "National Security"? And is that to support the "Black Budget" or the drug habits of americans that can no longer tolerate the country they are in?

We have never had any interest in Afghanistan until 9/11. And since when do we have a right to invade an entire country to go after 1 person that is not even a citizen of that country?

Hidden objectives are starting to come to light.

Welcome to the US of the Middle East; land for sale to the highest bidder - Syria to Pakistan. Buy our CIA drugs - the best herion in the world. Since Bin Laden won't build our pipeline, any other builders?

Wake up America - Republicans: Both Bushes - more government. Democrats - favoring big business.
Ther is no difference between our parties. They are both against the People of the USA. Throw them both out.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Finally, Qwas, an American with sense. This is generally how the rest of the world feels. to agree with a policy of a government these days is crazy thinking. Its the civilized countries who are worst to blame aswell! I am an eighteen year old from a little country called Wales (next to England, yet NOT ENGLISH!) and anyone with sense can see all of the corruption etc.
I am not saying the American people are stupid, just merely that they have been brainwashed into questioning, or even taking any sort of action to follow up their views. And if you are expressing views it seems you are just ignored. Even though America seems the best example of this, it seems to be happening all around us and people are oblivious! When will we wake up?
Sorry if this has nothing to do with topic of discussion folks, i just went off on one.

join