It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Decent scifi tv series defiance

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   
As a scifi junkie scraping for tv series to watch I came along this one on amazon prime.

Not a huge budget or even original series but I found it entertaining enough. It was tough getting past the first couple of episodes but it does keep getting better. So incase anyone is looking for a scifi show give it a shot and hang on past episode 1.

Defiance

The series is set in the near future, where aliens, known collectively as Votans, have come to Earth seeking a new home after their star system was destroyed in a stellar collision. When the Votans left their solar system 5,000 years ago, their instruments detected no signs of technology on Earth, so they thought Earth was uninhabited. Upon their arrival in 2013, they discovered otherwise. The humans responded to them with hostility and suspicion.

Note: unfortunately it was canceled after season 3.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Yeah this was a SyFy channel production any they tend to cancel things after 3 -5 years. Other shows that were awesome was Stargate universe, Helix, Battle Star Gallactica, Expanse (yes it was cancelled but being picked by Amazon prime).

Some current shows are Van Helsing, Z nation, Magicians, and channel zeros (start with the first 2 seasons this last one I could not get into).

Also the upcoming nightflyers show I think written by George R. R. Martin looks really good too.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Expanse is far better even with Neo Jamaican speak(or what the ever it was)

Definance was lame.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Definance was lame.

The Expanse is terrific. Can't believe SyFy canned it... it was on Netflix in the UK, but they have canned it too.
Hoping the next season will be on Amazon Video in the UK now they have picked it up (phew).

The 100 is also good entertainment (already 5 seasons and the next one confirmed with a 7th being discussed)

I watched Defiance a few years back - season 1 - it was ok, but I drifted away from it... don't even know if there is a season 2.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I tried Expanse but it couldn't keep my attention. Maybe I need to give it another try.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Liked The 100 too.

And the season finale.(spoliers)

I didn't even know it was canceled until I read it here.

Shame.

Space conspiracy Scifi.

Original work, and done well.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

I tried Expanse but it couldn't keep my attention. Maybe I need to give it another try.

Starts off slow but gets better.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I really enjoyed this show. What was interesting is it also tied into the online multiplayer video game, and some of the stuff that happened in the game would steer the show.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Well, Amazon did something good for once in picking The Expanse up for a 4th series. Can't wait.
Hopefully, they will give it 2 or 3 seasons on their platform. The next stage is supposed to go beyond the solar system...

It's true the first 3 or 4 episodes of Season 1 were a little slow, but I actually like that they spent time building the characters...I find it better when a series builds up the story instead of trying to cram too much into each episode... speaking of which.. I bet 2 of the characters are still alive

edit on 30/8/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Is the expanse the show where they're all on a spaceship that is not really in space?

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: tayton

Is the expanse the show where they're all on a spaceship that is not really in space?

No, its the show where the Solar System has been colonised and the outer planets, Mars and the Earth are all on the brink of war, with a very uneasy truce prevailing... with the lives of the key characters weaving their way through the story arc.

I think it's the best sci-fi show since Battlestar Galactica. I like Sci-fy that is not too far away from where we are today - I could imagine it being a reality in 200 years or so. BG was a bit more out there, but the technology on the ship - purposely 'old' - made it feel more real.
edit on 30/8/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: tayton

No.

Something like Ascension that one's called.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   
There is actually a mmopgh online game of defiance that is that world too. If interested.

Camain

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Check out orphan black.
I've been saying it for a couple years.

It's fantastic. If you're into sci fi and conspiracy theories that's a great one.

Trust me.

Helena for life

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: MorpheusUSA

Yeah this was a SyFy channel production any they tend to cancel things after 3 -5 years. Other shows that were awesome was Stargate universe, Helix, Battle Star Gallactica, Expanse (yes it was cancelled but being picked by Amazon prime).

Some current shows are Van Helsing, Z nation, Magicians, and channel zeros (start with the first 2 seasons this last one I could not get into).

Also the upcoming nightflyers show I think written by George R. R. Martin looks really good too.

I see you've been watching my playlist!

Magicians has become too tedious though, once they lose gusto, I can't restart after a season ends. SGU was never going to replace Atlantis either, and could have been a completely separate show called StarShip Universe...

Expanse was cancelled? I know they were going to be taking a while before the next season was supposed to start, didn't hear about it actually being canned. They better give us something that ties things up, if they're gonna do that to us..

I'm still digging Preacher too, not really sci-fi, but the dark comedy tickles me. I keep looking for new things, as it is, with nothing new out, I've been stuck watching Zachary Quinto in the reboot of 'In Search Of'.. a much better style of doco than those Mama Mia, My hair is Ancient Aliens stories !!

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Definance was lame.

Beltalowda!

They call it Belter Creole..

Looks like it'd be hell fun to work on that set. Or I just really fancy Elizabeth Mitchel when she's out of character.

(And Defiance wasn't lame, it was a game, after all, but I thought the actual premise of it was very good)

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Setóp bush to, sabakawala!

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

Um yeah?

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Mormons is space people!

To boldly go where no man has gone before, and take as many wives as possible.

That's why the ship was so big.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Expanse is probably the best scifi show ever made.

Babylon 5 is a close 2nd.

I do enjoy the guilty pleasure of Star Trek Discovery as well.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join