It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chainsaw Dumbness - DOH!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: DexterRiley
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I've been cutting tons of oak and giant HV transmission line poles with my chainsaws recently (I inherited about (50) hundred and twenty footers).

Are those pressure-treated poles? Or are they the old-school creosote poles?

I think they're treated because I don't see any residue leaching out of them like the old creosote poles do.

120' pole would make a hell of an antenna tower!

Yes they sure would!!! BUT, you'd have to figure out how to stand one of these dang things up in a hole! They must weigh about 8-9 tons each! Skidding just a 10' section is about all my 70hp tractor can do. This s# is HEAV-VY!!

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:08 PM
link   
BTW...replaced the chainsaw chain with the correct replacement tonight.

Five minute job...slam, bam; thank you ma'am! Done!

How it should have been last night.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Nearly as bad as a mate of mine who serviced his saw and replaced the chain in front of me.

I asked politely (smiling) "Does your saw have reverse?"

He replied, "What are you on about?"

Me, "Nothin"

Him, "you're a real dick sometimes when you say stupid stuff like that."

Anyways he started the saw, ran good. Went to cut a bit of Blood Wood. The thing was bouncing, the more he pushed, the more it kicked back. He stopped, looked, ran it again, tried to cut but sure enough same thing.

He turned the saw off to see me laughing and shaking my head. Cranky bugger says to me, "What are you laughing at Dick"?

Me, "You, happy, yer put yer chain on backwards stupid."

Kid you not,

Kind regards,

bally

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Husky, I'll remember that....to get a stump outta the ground, stay with me on this now

Get your minigrinder and cut the depth gauges off the links.....grind em on down a good one will work, and the saw will throw mud away from the roots as you chase those

It'll cut the mud outta your way! Too

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: BubbaFudpucker

originally posted by: rickymouse
I usually get the oregon chain for my Husky 61 and also the little chipper chain for my old poulan chainsaw. I need to get a new chain for my Johny 111S chainsaw this fall, it has a thirty six inch bar on it. www.acresinternet.com...

I'm down to five running chainsaws now, I used to have twelve whole chainsaws but gave my brother three to display above the bar in his stone 40x60 garage/party place. The rest I took apart for parts for the saws I use and I scrapped two this year.

I haven't had a problem with the brake sticking on my husky 61

I need to find a nice little saw like my poulen micro XXV. They used to be a nice one hand saw for brushing. The new saws are too big, hard to get into the branches and all that safety stuff sucks.

Have you ever used the McCulloch Mini Mac or Homelite XL? They are both old school saws that might interest you. I prefer either of them with a ten or twelve inch bar. Anything bigger makes them too nose heavy. They are both "poor man's" top handle saws, and are cheap and plentiful. If you are more interested in the Poulan micro XXV for rear handle function (two handed) cutting, look at the Homelite XL2 with twin triggers. They are super versatile for one and two hand use and lighter than the Poulan. Here's a vintage ad: www.chainsawland.com...

I really like the old school saws for ease of use, durability and price. My smallest saw is an Orline 129, powered by a model airplane engine, and I have a couple old 100cc+ McCullochs. I collect Remington brand saws, but have quite a few others as well. I like to recommend Stihl, Makita, and Echo products for new purchases, when asked for my opinion.

I used to have an old minimac years ago. It was a good brush saw. I just want to buy a simple saw like that or the poulan again, brand new.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I was watching a video today of this guy who bought the cheapest chainsaw he could find on Amazon. Thing had a 22" bar on it too! Cost him about $111 bucks. He put it to the test too, and it did okay (believe it or not). His summary was that it was actually a 'real chainsaw'.

I was pretty surprised because this guy knows what he's doing when it comes to saws and timber. I figured he'd bury this saw in short order. He ran it straight into the end of a cut tree (tip first)...all the way up to the dogs and it didn't stall. I was kind of impressed.

I've got an old Craftsman saw which is kind of neat. Dad gave it to me a long time ago. I don't use it much, but it still runs. I guess I should refurb it, at least put a new chain on it. It's kind of heavy though and not that well balanced. I think my big husky's are lighter. Might be good for limbing and working around the yard though I guess. Maybe cutting stuff on the ground too.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: rickymouse

I was watching a video today of this guy who bought the cheapest chainsaw he could find on Amazon. Thing had a 22" bar on it too! Cost him about $111 bucks. He put it to the test too, and it did okay (believe it or not). His summary was that it was actually a 'real chainsaw'.

I was pretty surprised because this guy knows what he's doing when it comes to saws and timber. I figured he'd bury this saw in short order. He ran it straight into the end of a cut tree (tip first)...all the way up to the dogs and it didn't stall. I was kind of impressed.

I've got an old Craftsman saw which is kind of neat. Dad gave it to me a long time ago. I don't use it much, but it still runs. I guess I should refurb it, at least put a new chain on it. It's kind of heavy though and not that well balanced. I think my big husky's are lighter. Might be good for limbing and working around the yard though I guess. Maybe cutting stuff on the ground too.

I bought my little poulan back in seventy five and am still using it. It has cut way more wood than any big saw I ever had, I grab it because it is light and with the oregon semi-chipper chain it cuts like butter on most trees smaller than twelve inch diameter. It is as fast as the Husky but requires a little more whittling so cut bigger trees and logs so looses speed.

I do like the husky sixty one with the twenty four inch bar though, you do not have to bend over as much as with the sixteen inch bar when cutting lobs laying on the ground. The three foot bar is even better on the Jonny, I can stand upright to cut the log. That big Jonny is dangerous if you bind it or hit the tip, it will jump right out of your hands if you do not pay attention.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join