It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new low Navajo legislator says protesters asked him if he is in the U.S. illegally

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: YouSir

It's only trivial until it happens to you, just sayin.

I just want to be American just like the other person said it.

I don't want to go to the store and simply get yelled at for standing in line. Sometimes it's more than trivial crap. My relatives had things thrown at them at the beach, while being yelled get out of our country. How ironic is that.
I don't want to expose my children to that. I don't call it simply being offended, I call it being abused for no reason.

It is being called out now and it makes people uncomfortable, SO WHAT. Let them be uncomfortable.

With 330 million people here there is a good number of them that are idiots or worst, so I don't know what to say other than you can go to any city and see 100 different variables of this or more that has nothing to do with being brown.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   
This is an issue, that a lot of people display recency bias. They only want to look at recent centuries in a vacuum, and ignore as you say the fact that many groups across history have engaged in everything from empire and war to slavery.

If I’m to blame for other white people in the Americas who weren’t even my ancestors (mine moved from Sweden 100 years ago), then why isn’t a NigerIan to blame for something ancient Ghanaian people did, because they are both black?

That’s like saying all Asians are guilty for Japanese war crimes, regardless of if they have Japanese ancestry.

What’s hilarious is that one time someone started talking at me about how my ancestors owned slaves in the US. They said I was racist when I explained it wasn’t accurate. It’s bizarre how people are taught that literally every single whites person in America had ancestors with African slaves.
a reply to: seagull

edit on 30-8-2018 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

I've run into that, as well.

Much of my family, going back about four generations or so, were from the Border states. Kansas. Missouri. The rest from Illinois, Indiana, and Pennsylvania--for the most part.

I have family records that date back every bit of that far. Not one slave owner. Not one. In fact, one of my great-great second cousins (is that even related?? If so, just barely...) ran a waystation on the Underground Railway into Canada. Odd how the conversation changed...

I don't advocate forgetting the history, just not a big fan of continuing to try to punish others for the Sins of the Father. Kinda like the Southern statue idiocy, isn't it??

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

I've run into that, as well.

Much of my family, going back about four generations or so, were from the Border states. Kansas. Missouri. The rest from Illinois, Indiana, and Pennsylvania--for the most part.

I have family records that date back every bit of that far. Not one slave owner. Not one. In fact, one of my great-great second cousins (is that even related?? If so, just barely...) ran a waystation on the Underground Railway into Canada. Odd how the conversation changed...

I don't advocate forgetting the history, just not a big fan of continuing to try to punish others for the Sins of the Father. Kinda like the Southern statue idiocy, isn't it??
Right, and also I’m all for helping historically disadvantaged commmunities. So we can and should see real challenges they face and work with them as partners in developing effective solutions. I do this professionally.

What so called sjws conflate is these real solution orientated justice initiatives with all of the superimposed identity politics ideas. The second doesn’t follow from the first.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 05:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: usernameconspiracy
I have a Canadian friend who lives and goes to school here. Legally. A couple months ago, a random car followed her to her apartment just to yell at her to get out of the country, because her car has Canadian license plates.

The common decency of people in this country is regressing at an astonishing rate.

I haven't been to the States in 10 years but my experience then was the same as previously. Damn fine people. Generous and friendly. Has that changed since then?

ETA: The only thing I found odd was the prejudice against Canadian coins. Not bills, although called Monopoly money, just coins. Strange.
edit on 31-8-2018 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Here is the background on Canadian coins. It doesn't matter where you live in the US, but those coins find their way into our money system. Somehow you always end up with them, and then retailers won't take them back. That's why they are called monopoly money, you can't buy anything with it.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepidThe only thing I found odd was the prejudice against Canadian coins. Not bills, although called Monopoly money, just coins. Strange.
Lol, I'm the same with Scottish issued GBP£ banknotes, not a cats chance in hell I'll ever take them for payment, I have no way of knowing if they are fake.

I've had Scottish people moan at me before now, but I say keep your unknown notes in Scotland, if you come to England switch them at a bank and use the money I can recognise, otherwise spend your money elsewhere.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join