It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new low Navajo legislator says protesters asked him if he is in the U.S. illegally

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   
azcapitoltimes.com... supports-yell-illegal/

Basically what happened here is that (some) people in Arizona think anyone with dark skin is an illegal.
“We’re walking back, and they start yelling again, ‘Get out of the country.’ At that point, they pointed to Lisette, called her an illegal, and said, ‘Get out, go back home!’” Robles said. “But they pointed at Jane (Ahern), who works for the House, and they said, ‘No, you can stay.’”

Before anyone goes off, I am neither pro or against Trump period.
I do however think things are absolutely getting stupid.
I have personally experienced this on several occasions. I can trace my roots back to my Iroquois Indian great great grandmother, my family founded parts of Maryland. If that is not recent enough, my dad and Grandpa spent a combined 70 years in the US Army, fighting in WWII, The Korean war, and Vietnam. To say we are patriots is an understatement. We have our name on a park and are listed as one of the "founding" families.

So what's the problem? I have dark hair and eyes I have been told go back across the border, to which I reply you first! I've explained to several people that if we want to get down to semantics, I am indeed more American than them, at least for being here the longest!

What I don't understand is how people are so ignorant to think just because someone may look a little ethnic why they assume they aren't American, true Americans!
edit on 29-8-2018 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-8-2018 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

In Oklahoma a few days after 911, some young men jumped a dark-skinned teenage girl walking home from school, tied her up and drug her behind their truck until she was dead.

She was Cherokee...

Lots of idiots out there, sadly.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
The race thing you guys have going on in the states is crazy.
Maybe start by calling people simply Americans without the stupid pronoun like 'African' or 'native' or even 'Irish' for that matter.
British people just call each other British, but then we stopped treating ethnic minorities like # a lot sooner than Uncle Sam did so I guess old habits die hard.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Ummm...what I would like to know is...why get offended over trivial crap...

So what...

Life is so much more than this trivial crap...how about we celebrate the wonder of it all...instead of looking to find offense at someone else's stupidity...

Just sayin...

YouSir

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   

He should be glad that they aren't giving all the credit for his achievements to White privilege.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Dang that is funny and sad at the same time.

They need to...

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Are these the same people who voted for John McCain. Again. And again?

Here, I'll play. I was walking once, and someone yelled "BEANER!" And I didn't get offended since I'm Hispanic and I'm also making this story up.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

It's only trivial until it happens to you, just sayin.

I just want to be American just like the other person said it.

I don't want to go to the store and simply get yelled at for standing in line. Sometimes it's more than trivial crap. My relatives had things thrown at them at the beach, while being yelled get out of our country. How ironic is that.
I don't want to expose my children to that. I don't call it simply being offended, I call it being abused for no reason.

It is being called out now and it makes people uncomfortable, SO WHAT. Let them be uncomfortable.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
but then we stopped treating ethnic minorities like # a lot sooner than Uncle Sam did so I guess old habits die hard.

No. You just treat ethnic majorities like #$&@.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: rollanotherone
Lol Britain treats ethnic minorities well in official govt business, don't be so silly.
You only stopped treating black people like dirt in recent decades. You seem to have a lot of catching up to do...ask yourself how many 'race threads' do you ever see posted by Brits? Like zero unless I've missed one.
I'd rather be black in the UK than the US for sure.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

What I don't understand is how people are so ignorant to think

They don’t think. They just spout what they believe they are supposed to say. One of my friends from college in Kentucky is a half Iranian guy who’s grown up in Kentucky his whole life and is a redneck for all intents and purposes. Who is a proud Trump voter, proud to the point he was so hyped up during the election he used to call me and say they’re coming for me and all my commie friends. And was serious. Lmao.

Anyway, on election night he was getting some gas at the gas station by his house and as he’s walking out of the store relishing the victory of Trump a group of screaming people pull up next to him. They start yelling at him to “Get out of our country!” and a bunch of other ignorant stuff I can’t type here due to T&C. He just shook his head and drove off.

Talk about a reality check.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=23720096]CornishCeltGuy

Ohhhh PLEASE! We all saw how the British felt about Meghan Markle.

www.vox.com...

"The fraught gender and racial politics of the royal wedding, explained"

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

It's only trivial until it happens to you, just sayin.

I just want to be American just like the other person said it.

I don't want to go to the store and simply get yelled at for standing in line. Sometimes it's more than trivial crap. My relatives had things thrown at them at the beach, while being yelled get out of our country. How ironic is that.
I don't want to expose my children to that. I don't call it simply being offended, I call it being abused for no reason.

It is being called out now and it makes people uncomfortable, SO WHAT. Let them be uncomfortable.

Ummm...it has happened to me...I was a mix breed native and white growing up in the sixties...think I didn't get my share of abuse...?

All these years later I just think that celebrating the absolute marvel of life is a better way to honor both sides of my nature...

If you wish to be offended by stupidity...then rock on...I'll be over there...gazing at the stars...or an ant...or nothing really special...except to me...at all...

Thank you for being...

YouSir

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Lol again, that is not normal average people, most folk didn't give a # about their wedding because there was no public holiday for it like the queens jubilee or whatever.
I'm against a constitutional monarchy for democracy reasons and I don't believe in any gods so I don't sing the national anthem. I would be a hypocrite if I did.

EDIT
...about time the royal family got some decent new blood into it if I have to have them as my rulers, I only hope for Meghans sake she plays her game well, I wouldn't # with that family, I may criticise the constitutional monarchy sytem but I wouldn't # with that family, no way.
If they knocked on my door tomorrow saying they had a job for me which I couldn't refuse then I'd do it. Most powerful gang in town, what muppet wouldn't play the game to stay alive?

edit on 29-8-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   

The insanity as of late extends to an area I can't even comprehend...

*Supposedly*, I'm white. It's what I've put on all the forms I have filled out that ask me, for whatever idiotic tracking reason, forever.

I have old white guys (and a couple old white rich women added recently) giving me the business- getting in my face, wanting to fight, trying to run over me when I'm taking a walk. I get that 'mad dog' look a LOT. Unless you knew me, You'd never be able to pick me out of a crowd, I'm that unassuming.

I haven't been told to "get out of their (my) country yet", but have to wonder when the next wag'll let loose with it.

I live in NC, BTW- land of lily white good ol boys. CORRUPT lily white good ol' boys.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Celebrating life is great, but halting abuse is our responsibility to our children.

For example. I've talked to many older ladies about the me too movement and what they all thought.
100% wish they had done more. 100% (yes small sample group yada yada). I was told some really sick stuff, like it was perfectly acceptable for husbands/boyfriends to rape their wives and women just shut up about it. They knew it was wrong, but just never felt the power to say anything. Maybe if they had said something all these years later their granddaughters wouldn't have to fight the fight for them. It was wrong then, it is wrong now.

You should just let a little racial abuse roll off the sleeve, when does it cross the line? When is it OK to be offended? When it is a teacher at school teaching your kid. When it is the nurse taking care of you, when it is cop that pulls you over. Guess what, those people that yell it, we all work with them.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   

What I don't understand is how people are so ignorant to think just because someone may look a little ethnic why they assume they aren't American, true Americans!

Because of, and let's be honest, political rhetoric.

People now feel emboldened to act ignorant because of the political climate in this country.

That sort of speech should be banned in political media.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I haven't heard anyone being racist in real life for decades now, maybe the late 80's.
It is crazy it still goes on, and maybe I do know some racist people but they will of course know my views on it so they wouldn't say if they were.
I like to think that none of my friends are secret racist bastards but I can never know if they pretend to be nice in front of me...I'm pretty confident though.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: wylekat

You get it! Thank you. The insanity is what I am talking about.
Yes there will always always be racism. It's just that it is so rampant, so low now. For people to feel
emboldened to just harass strangers??? C'mon!

Good luck to you and I think NC is absolutely breathtaking beautiful, too bad it has so many losers like you mentioned!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join