It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DeSantis: Florida Voters Shouldn’t ‘Monkey This Up’ by Voting for Gillum

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I've just spent the last week having leftists say we can't criticize McCain because he was a heroic vet.

DeSantis is also a vet.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: usernameconspiracy
No, I dont expect politicians or anyone else to have the current list of innocent phrases or words that they are not allowed to say because they may offend someone.

I would use the term monkey around among people, because I know I am not in the least but racist, and i treat black people and all people for that matter with the same respect and dont have to walk on egg shells or monitor my speech around them because they need special trreatment to not be offended.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

and i treat black people and all people for that matter with the same respect and dont have to walk on egg shells or monitor my speech around them because they need special trreatment to not be offended.

Funny point you bring up there. Let's say that someone treats someone different because of race, ethnicity, or gender, is that discrimination?

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

and i treat black people and all people for that matter with the same respect and dont have to walk on egg shells or monitor my speech around them because they need special trreatment to not be offended.

Funny point you bring up there. Let's say that someone treats someone different because of race, ethnicity, or gender, is that discrimination?

Yes it is, and I am tired of this bgotry of low expectations.

"Oh we have to be careful to keep a list of phrases we cant say around black people. They are very sensitive and we need to look out for them by making sure we dont say anything that will trigger them!"

Absolute garbage.

The black people I have had the pleasure of being friends with are (are you ready for this?) normal guys!

I may very well have used the phrase monkey around in front of them, or monkey things up, I have no idea, because they know I am not racist, and it didnt even register as something to bat an eye about.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: usernameconspiracy

Do I think because he used the term, it makes him a racist? No.

Do I think he is incapable of choosing his words more carefully, thereby making himself LOOK like a racist, or at the very least, a moron? Yes.

I get that it's now cool for a politician to mouth diarrhea whatever words come into the brain, without the slightest thought as to what those words are, but you'd think a man in public office would use the slightest amount forethought, right?

I disagree. The term "monkeying around" or "monkeying with" is used all the time. I have heard and used that phrase many times.

If Santis were a racist, he would have checked himself. He used it naturally as we all do.

People are stupidly hyper-focused on illegitimate excuses to label people racist.

"Dammit! Quit monkeying around with our common metaphorical usage of words!"

link   

originally posted by: Grambler
I may very well have used the phrase monkey around in front of them, or monkey things up, I have no idea, because they know I am not racist, and it didnt even register as something to bat an eye about.

I've said far worse in jest, and had the same said back at me, by my friends when we are together. It's not racist if the context is not racist as I suspect is the case in the Original Post.

link   

"Oh we have to be careful to keep a list of phrases we cant say around black people. They are very sensitive and we need to look out for them by making sure we dont say anything that will trigger them!"

Absolute garbage.

Worse than that, it's condescending and also carries undertones of superiority complex.

People who think they have to be a voice for any demographic inherently implies they think their voice is better, or that the people they are speaking for can't speak for themselves.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I've said far worse in jest, and had the same said back at me, by my friends when we are together. It's not racist if the context is not racist as I suspect is the case in the Original Post.

Exactly.

And I will tell you this; if Gillum came out and said "Hey I appreciate his clarification, I dont think it was racist and this is a non issue. Now lets talk about policy."

I would have a ton of respect for him.
edit on 29-8-2018 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   

And I will tell you this; if Gillum came out and said "He I appreciate his clarification, I dont think it was racist and this is a non issue. Now lets talk about policy."

It would have been funnier if he said he was 'OK-K-Kay with it'.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Exacftly.

And I will tell you this; if Gillum came out and said "He I appreciate his clarification, I dont think it was racist and this is a non issue. Now lets talk about policy."

if you can find one time when 'monkey' was used or monkey images or metaphors other than when a black person is concerned I'll venmo you a grand.

find 2 whites debating and a monkey reference is invoked...

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   

It would have been funnier if he said he was 'OK-K-Kay with it'.

Yeah, that would be a slam dunk!

(uh oh, am I allowed to use the term slam dunk, or is that a dog whistle because he is black?)
edit on 29-8-2018 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Don't chimp out over ambiguous figures of speech.
edit on 29-8-2018 by RumpleStiltskin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
if you can find one time when 'monkey' was used or monkey images or metaphors other than when a black person is concerned I'll venmo you a grand.

Or we talking only the United States because the baddies from Europe in World War II depicted the Jews as monkeys, also we did it with the Japanese.

When can I get my moolah?

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Yeah, that would be a slam dunk!

(uh oh, am I allowed to use the term slam dunk, or is that a dog whistle because he is black?)

Totally not racist unless you say that Uncle Salty can't dunk.

Which he can't.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Keith Ellison literally beats his ex-gf, and we don't get a peep from MSM/DNC, other than "its under internal investigation", but DeSantis says "monkey" and all hell breaks loose on the left...

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Exacftly.

www.huffingtonpost.com...
www.aquilaarts.com...
www.theguardian.com...

I have no idea what Venmo is, but I'll be happy to send you an address to mail that $1,000 to.
edit on 29-8-2018 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
I have no idea what Venmo is, but I'll be happy to send you an address to mail that $1,000 to.

Bull****, dude. I got first dibs.

(If I get banned everyone you know who did it!!!!!)

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Exacftly.

You don't find it odd that your mind can only associate the word monkey being used in reference to black people?

But everyone in the thread who is suspect to the term only having one meaning is somehow closed minded and missing the point?

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Bull****, dude. I got first dibs.

(If I get banned everyone you know who did it!!!!!)

I provided links, though.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   

I provided links, though.

I like links, the breakfast ones are my favorite.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join