It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ignorance of the law is not a valid defense. unless it deals with voting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 05:45 AM
link   
so i am reading this article and it reads like 1 long excuse.

kind of baffled by it honestly.

im sure this is going to turn into a trump/left/right/russia thread.

people will discuss what angle they want. i am personally not interested in if they are jailed or deported.

through all our discussions i have been thinking about the voting process a lot lately. something needs to be done for sure.
i dont have the answer to what but voting is kind of a big deal. its up there on the list of important #.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

The 20 immigrants recently charged with illegally voting in North Carolina in the 2016 election may not have even known they were ineligible, a HuffPost review of their cases and interviews with some of the defendants found. But they could still be convicted and imprisoned — or even deported ― without the Justice Department proving they intended to break the law

oh but they may not have know they were ineligible.

Instead, the indictments unveiled Friday underscore how confusion about voter registration can be prosecuted as illegal conduct even if it’s unclear whether the defendants understood they’d committed a crime.

oh they may not have understood

Several of the defendants — most of whom are legal permanent residents of the United States — required interpreters at their hearings, raising the question of whether they knew that their status as noncitizens did not allow them to vote. HuffPost’s interviews with defendants indicated that they mistakenly believed they were eligible to cast ballots or believed that voter registration officials would register them only if they were eligible.

oh but the officials didnt stop them so its not their fault

Paige wasn’t sure if her boyfriend, a legal permanent resident, was eligible to vote, so when she filled out a voter registration form at an early voting site with him, she left the box asking about his citizenship blank.

just leave it blank. thats fine

Paige said she had served as a poll worker before, and she thought someone would flag the application and send her to a separate table to inquire about her boyfriend’s citizenship status

dont blame paige. not her fault. they should have caught the error

There are indications that other defendants may not have known they were ineligible to vote and believed that being allowed to register meant they were allowed to vote

but i didnt know

ok.

there is a problem here.
here are my main issues

ignorance of the law is not valid. correct?
if this little rule to live by is changing someone must please let me know because TST is about to become very ignorant of a couple laws i tell you.

next problem is if people are not eligible to vote then why are they even allowed to register?

this is crazy.
im sure this will turn into deep state russia china hillary #...
thats fine

no matter how we look at this the whole voting system needs a major upgrayed[/idiocracy]

edit on 29-8-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Sounds like a bunch of BS to me.

They knew they weren't legal residents, and that's where it begins and ends.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 06:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

yeah looks like it was an attempt that didnt go well, but really? we're in the 21st century and they dont have an ID card reader that will fill in a paper and show if they were eligible or not? how is that so? oh i see ID's are not required SMH

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Voter ID laws

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Like this is an isolated case,of course they know what they did was illegal,I'm sure they were paid,and told by a liberal that nothing could happen,just like always when caught point fingers,call someone racist,puke liberal tactics

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 06:37 AM
link   
When I got pulled over the other day, my taillight was out, The officer asked for my ID. I left it home...

Ticket.

I was then told my taillight was out. I told him I did not know, thank you for telling me.

Ticket.

It seems my ignorance is not above the law.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 06:51 AM
link   

I had to double-check on this, but it turns out I was right.

Upgrayedd is spelled with two d's.

But, yeah, someone tried to tell me that printing your own money is illegal. That can't be right, though, because the Fed does it, and they wouldn't do something that was illegal.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   
So whats happening in California where everyone is automatically registered to vote

The California Motor Voter program is making registering to vote at the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) more convenient. Eligible applicants completing a driver license, identification (ID) card or change of address transaction online, by mail or in person at the DMV will be automatically registered to vote by the California Secretary of State, unless they choose to opt out of automatic voter registration. For more information, visit California Motor Voter

Unless of course They opt out.

Vote by mail in Your native tongue, easy peasy don't even have to leave the house.
edit on 29-8-2018 by ATruGod because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: ATruGod
So whats happening in California where everyone is automatically registered to vote

The California Motor Voter program is making registering to vote at the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) more convenient. Eligible applicants completing a driver license, identification (ID) card or change of address transaction online, by mail or in person at the DMV will be automatically registered to vote by the California Secretary of State, unless they choose to opt out of automatic voter registration. For more information, visit California Motor Voter

Vote by mail in Your native tongue, easy peasy don't even have to leave the house.

Why do you think that state is so heavily f'd up?

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   

They *were* legal residents though.

Also, but more to the OP, mens rea definitely is a thing in US law. It has gone to the US Supreme Court, so there is no doubt about it.

I am not sure about voting laws - maybe someone can enlighten us but sometimes willfulness *is* a prerequisite - as in they have to "willingly and knowingly" break the law to be punished.

edit on 29-8-2018 by DupontDeux because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Everything could have been prevented if they weren't allowed to register.
How is that so hard?

On another note, I am a US citizen, I always have been, not one second of my life have I not been a US citizen.
When I have gone to vote, I have gotten harassed. I was asked for a Social Security card when it was not required. (I told them to jump in a lake!)
I have always provided legitimate, up to date legal ID (drivers license)
It has been my experience that poll workers really do not understand what they are doing. The entire process is jacked up, from what you wrote, to what I have experience. In reality neither should be happening.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dr UAE

yeah looks like it was an attempt that didnt go well, but really? we're in the 21st century and they dont have an ID card reader that will fill in a paper and show if they were eligible or not? how is that so? oh i see ID's are not required SMH

It's kind of interesting that you can be arrested for walking down the street without "proper" id, but you can vote without it... what a bunch of crap. Illegal immigrants(I mean undocumented) are the newest darlings of the unreasoning left and their hate mongering. Trangender bathrooms are old hat now, time to move on to the new victim of the week.
edit on 29-8-2018 by pointessa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
so i am reading this article and it reads like 1 long excuse.

kind of baffled by it honestly.

im sure this is going to turn into a trump/left/right/russia thread.

people will discuss what angle they want. i am personally not interested in if they are jailed or deported.

through all our discussions i have been thinking about the voting process a lot lately. something needs to be done for sure.
i dont have the answer to what but voting is kind of a big deal. its up there on the list of important #.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

The 20 immigrants recently charged with illegally voting in North Carolina in the 2016 election may not have even known they were ineligible, a HuffPost review of their cases and interviews with some of the defendants found. But they could still be convicted and imprisoned — or even deported ― without the Justice Department proving they intended to break the law

oh but they may not have know they were ineligible.

Instead, the indictments unveiled Friday underscore how confusion about voter registration can be prosecuted as illegal conduct even if it’s unclear whether the defendants understood they’d committed a crime.

oh they may not have understood

Several of the defendants — most of whom are legal permanent residents of the United States — required interpreters at their hearings, raising the question of whether they knew that their status as noncitizens did not allow them to vote. HuffPost’s interviews with defendants indicated that they mistakenly believed they were eligible to cast ballots or believed that voter registration officials would register them only if they were eligible.

oh but the officials didnt stop them so its not their fault

Paige wasn’t sure if her boyfriend, a legal permanent resident, was eligible to vote, so when she filled out a voter registration form at an early voting site with him, she left the box asking about his citizenship blank.

just leave it blank. thats fine

Paige said she had served as a poll worker before, and she thought someone would flag the application and send her to a separate table to inquire about her boyfriend’s citizenship status

dont blame paige. not her fault. they should have caught the error

There are indications that other defendants may not have known they were ineligible to vote and believed that being allowed to register meant they were allowed to vote

but i didnt know

ok.

there is a problem here.
here are my main issues

ignorance of the law is not valid. correct?
if this little rule to live by is changing someone must please let me know because TST is about to become very ignorant of a couple laws i tell you.

next problem is if people are not eligible to vote then why are they even allowed to register?

this is crazy.
im sure this will turn into deep state russia china hillary #...
thats fine

no matter how we look at this the whole voting system needs a major upgrayed[/idiocracy]

You make a good point. How were they even allowed to register to vote? If someone left a line blank on the application someone should have interviewed her. If they didn't, then that is not her fault. If they lied, that is another story. At any rate all of them are eligible, either way to be returned to their country of origin if they are here illegally.

What other country can you just enter and stay their with full rights of citizenship, which includes voting and welfare? Meanwhile, millions of legal citizens, many that have served in the military, are living on the streets.

You make a good point. How were they even allowed to register to vote? If someone left a line blank on the application someone should have interviewed her. If they didn't, then that is not her fault. If they lied, that is another story. At any rate all of them are eligible, either way to be returned to their country of origin if they are here illegally.

What other country can you just enter and stay their with full rights of citizenship, which includes voting and welfare? Meanwhile, millions of legal citizens, many that have served in the military, are living on the streets.
edit on 29-8-2018 by pointessa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Sounds like a reason to close those polling stations until they are under compliance.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Ignorance is ok if endorsed by the authorities.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: ATruGod

That works out nicely for them to maintain their Democratic status quo.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   
you know there is another way to look at the situation. when you are in a foreign country, and are not sure of the laws, do you not default to the laws you know from your home country? and since i know of no country where one does not have to be a citizen to vote, why would they assume that the US is any different? so when you think about it, their so called ignorance of the law is still no excuse.

they need to hit them with the maximum penalties. i might be a little bit lenient (reduction of sentence) of course if they can prove that they were told by an organization (like say the democrat party representatives), lawyer, government office, someone who would have the authority to say what the laws and rules are and at least seem to be reasonably competent about such laws, to give legal advice, to a reasonable person. in the case that their testimony is used to charge and prosecute those who misled them, for applicable crimes of dispensing legal advice to break the law.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
upgrayed[/idiocracy]

Upgrayedd with two d's!

For a Double Dose of Democrat Dishonesty.

edit on 29-8-2018 by SKEPTEK because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   

I agree with you all the way on this and I have a few ideas that would work pretty well to fix this problem.

We could do these two things.

1.Give these offenders like 20 years so that it makes headlines all across the country and has so many people talking about it it will set an example so deep that even three year olds could recite the law. I bet that would stop 90% of illegal immigrant voters right there.

2. Make everyone's first ID free so that we can make it law to have to show ID when voting AND create a notation area on our National Drivers License Registry that shows if the person is eligible or ineligible to vote. This would stop the other 10% of illegal immigrants from voting and also stop the felons from voting.

new topics

top topics

join