It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do we define stupidity?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: openyourmind1262
Look no further than some of the members of this very site. We're supposed to be denying ignorance....but some on here pick it up and smear it all over themselves...…..like it's ignorance lotion.

This is what first occurred to me, also: ignorance. I'd qualify that a little more as willful ignorance. Ignorance alone isn't necessarily stupid, as it can be due to simple lack of information. A smart person, without the right information, can even come to the wrong conclusion. Having thought about this a lot, over the years, wondering how some, otherwise, intelligent people can be such utter boneheads, to me the screaming stupidity involves willful ignorance, where people will hang on to their error for prejudice, for believing what they want to believe, and this regardless facts before them, to the contrary. This is ultimate stupidity you'll not even find in many mentally handicapped people! I find such blinding stupidity beyond even fully understanding how some people can be so blindly stupid. There's a Bible passage that nails the phenomenon, of the rich man in hell:

Luke 16:27-31 "And he said, 'Then I beg you, father, that you send him to my father's house-- for I have five brothers --in order that he may warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.' "But Abraham said, 'They have Moses and the Prophets; let them hear them.' "But he said, 'No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent!' "But he said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be persuaded even if someone rises from the dead.'"

To further illustrate, how it is true some would not believe, though one rose from the dead, the atheist is a most stark and classic example. If you were to prove there is a God, by supernatural prophecies, hundreds of them, to the smallest details, that came to pass from scripture, because, indeed, God revealed the future to His prophets, the atheist will not even study the information. The proof is astoundingly strong, and found places like this, at anybody's fingertips:

Fulfilled Prophecy as Evidence for the Bible's Divine Origin

Odds of Christ Fulfilling Prophecy

Messianic Prophecies Fulfilled by Jesus Christ

You know something? I've presented such information to unbelievers in forums, many times, declaring to them there is proof of God, and there it is. The information takes some study, examination. What always happens is the critic(s) comes back with a mocking reply, in no time, rather than once an atheist actually studying the information provided them, to my knowledge, for whatever mere hours required, that absolutely proves the God of scripture, the supernatural nature of fulfilled prophecy. Nothing, but nothing, will persuade the idiot that believes what they want to believe, indeed, though someone rose from the dead, which the Lord Jesus even did.

This is why the Bible states, Psalms 14:1 The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, they have committed abominable deeds; There is no one who does good.

They also will make the claim Christians believe fairy tales, when we have a mountain of evidence of the supernatural, as well as thousands of years of reliable witnesses, including our own "epignosis" knowing of the truth and witness, somehow think Christian faith is blind. I've got news: I was always a "show me" person, more than any atheist, and the truth is obvious, like the proverbial sore thumb, when you study the truth of scripture. In any case, they won't even study the information, here and there will make lying, kneejerk claims they "know all that", which, if they did, they wouldn't be a stupid atheist. Of course, they can't continue that conversation on the basis of any real theological knowledge, after such a claim, ever, can't give you their contrary analysis of just how the fulfilled prophecy isn't so, verse by verse. They simply go stupid, of course, as, the fact is, they don't really know anything, at all.

Think of this, when the stakes are eternal heaven or hell, what sort of stupid is it that a person doesn't fully exhaust this subject, before their last breath? How stupid is it, those that will find themselves in hell, because they wouldn't study God's Book and seek the truth? It's like somebody is holding up a sign the bridge, around the bend, is washed-out up ahead, in big letters, waving it at passing vehicles, and, instead of slowing down, taking care, such stupid people mash on the accelerator, because they refuse to believe the witness that the bridge is washed-out, insist the bridge is not washed-out. As anybody with common sense could tell you, about what happened: they plunged to their deaths. Only, in this case, the stakes aren't simply death. Go figure.

Matthew 10:28 Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

edit on 29-8-2018 by Scrutinizing because: Word change.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
probably a stupid question...

To the contrary, yours is one of the most pressing questions there is, for the entire human race, nothing stupid about it, at all. Good thread!

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

You read my mind, i was thinking the same thing the other day, this is what i came up with.

There is good stupidity, like the three stooges and cartoon and sitcom characters and the people in your aforementioned fail videos. Then there is bad stupidity such as flat Earthers, anti-vaxxers, and holocaust deniers.

IMO good stupidity is entertaining, bad stupidity is ignorance.
edit on 29-8-2018 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-8-2018 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I found a great example of the topic right here on this thread...
Exemplifies the term completely....
Guess...

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Succinctly? The Mudpit.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Frank Zappa

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   
There is stupidity and ignorance.

Ignorant people can learn, but they don't currently know.

Stupid people have been shown, but they refuse to learn or cannot.

And, of course, we all have our different ideas of where that line is. For some, people who refuse to accept and adopt the worldview of others are stupid, but they miss that it's possible to see that worldview and still end up rejecting it. Does that make someone stupid? In that sense, they are neither ignorant of the other worldview nor were they incapable of learning about it. They simply decided it was inappropriate for them and rejected it for themselves.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   

In pictures?

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Lots of interesting replies...

Thanks everyone...

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Bottom line I guess, would be the hits on you tube on related topics.

Ignorance has hope of an education and ensuing learned wisdom .. Or something.

Stupidity has no hope, it is hapless.

( see it in full regalia in the daily traffic ! )

🤯

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: szino9

Yes I highly rate this, stupidity to me is a complete lack of common sense !

There are quite a lot of academic smart people I know that have zero common sense and they appear stupid to me !

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 04:40 AM
link   
it is thinking you can do crazy things and succeed. a form of bravery.

in bravery there are aiming at noble goals. in stupidity there is hardly such purpose. but that doesnt imply you may not end up with one of those end goals.
edit on 20-9-2018 by Damla because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 04:47 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 03:49 AM
link   
a reply to: openyourmind1262

It is all about not doing pointless things ... over and over.

It is part of growing up and gaining wisdom.

This, unfortunately, seems to be the exception to the rule .

Wisdom is not rampant ...

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 04:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Timely

pls smile.it isnt worth your frown. repeating same thing over and over and getting a different result is possible. it is because of the nature of the result and not about what you repeat.

youtu.be...

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 04:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Damla

Not frowning. 😁

Trying to save others from needing to live through some of the stuff that I have endured ... first hand.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 04:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Timely

*hugs*.

someone said it isnt ok to do that though today. i am working on it now but i am not sure if i can be honest about it. because you know eventually i do it all for myself.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join