It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the objective standards for being conservative or liberal?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 05:42 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

And yet we need to choose someone to do the jobs.
Rock / hard place.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I self-identify today as a conservative... but there was a time when my views were considered liberal. I believe in
  • freedom of the individual as long as that freedom does not infringe unnecessarily on the freedoms of others.
  • freedom to defend myself, my family, and my property using whatever means are available to me, including guns.
  • less Federal government... only those things that were specifically mentioned in the Constitution.
  • equality of all people under the law. Laws should either be enforced fully, or removed.
  • a strong military, used only where bona fide national interests exist.
  • lower taxes (equals financial freedom).
  • compassion for those who lack the advantages life gives others.
  • freedom of all individuals to believe as they choose, and to follow that belief in their daily lives.
I do not self-identify as a Republican or Democrat or Libertarian or any other political party. I choose rather to make up my own mind about issues. If the Republicans have what appears to me to be the best solutions, I will support them. If the Democrats appear to have the best solutions, I will support them. At the present time, the best solutions appear to be coming from the Republican party, but should that change, so will my position on who is best to run the country.

Now, I really don't give two shakes of a rat's spinal extension what others call conservative or liberal. I don't have control over that, only over what I believe. That has not changed since young adulthood, and little since my later teen years. I am who I am. To the poster who claimed conservatives were war-mongers, speak for yourself.

So I cannot answer your question, OP, because I am not in charge of such things. Whoever is in charge of it, though, I wish they would stop changing the definitions.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Conservative conserve, Liberals use liberally.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Yes. Just not in MY house. Lol.
I am the queen there.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
And yet we need to choose someone to do the jobs.
Rock / hard place.

Stop picking the equal of two evils.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   
You can also add to this, there's a huge difference between the American voter and the elected official in the party they voted for.

Example, average Democrat voter is against wars and conflicts. Obama broke the records for bombs dropped on other countries and had an insanely high civilian casualty rate with drone attacks, and was the first President to be at war for all 8 years of his two terms, and launched airstrikes and/or raids in 7 countries: Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Libya, Yemen, Somalia and Pakistan.

Example, average Republicans are for less government and less government spending. But Republicans keep over spending when elected in office. Debt ceiling, omnibus spending bills, etc etc.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

Yes! And this was exactly the reason for my OP

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: rom12345
Conservative conserve, Liberals use liberally.

Unfortunately they don’t anymore.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Agreed, and thank you for opining

a reply to: TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Liberals generally believe that people are basically good but sometimes do bad things because they don't have the opportunity to choose good, and they need somebody smarter and better than they are to help them get those opportunities and restore "fairness."

Conservatives generally believe that people are basically bad and need to be strictly controlled by somebody smarter and better than they are to make sure they don't create societal turmoil.

At either end of the spectrum, hardcore liberals and conservatives both think they're better than the average person and should be put in charge of the money and the government (same thing).

The average person is getting tired of their insulting nonsense.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   
One of the main issues is that Conservatives don't fight against ACTUAL Liberal events that happen in non-sensational ways.

For example, Conservatives want small government... which means, ultimately, small towns. Yet, take a small town like Woodstock GA... the amount of old land being sold off to big builders, is increasing the population in ways that CREATE and REQUIRE big government. This same town raised holy hell when one individual small business owner wanted to build a small shed to expand their home business, yet BIG DEVELOPMENT of massive amounts of housing continues unchallenged.

A conservative response to this would be an initiative to STOP all the new building and have stricter zoning laws. But the conservatives in that town are content to watch their TV's and read their Facebook feed, and not lift a single finger to stop the true LIBERAL and PROGRESSIVE menace that is plaguing their towns.

Now don't get me wrong... I believe in liberal and progressive capitalism when it makes sense to do so. For example, in this case, the liberal forces at play, if stopped by true conservative values, would lead to the development of a NEW SMALL TOWN further out from the area which in turn would create more people who want small government, or to modernize some of the smaller towns in North Georgia, but only until conservatives in those areas felt enough was enough as well...

However, at this point, conservative vs liberal is basically one sports team vs another regardless of the players or their stats.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   
One of the main issues is that Conservatives don't fight against ACTUAL Liberal events that happen in non-sensational ways.

For example, Conservatives want small government... which means, ultimately, small towns. Yet, take a small town like Woodstock GA... the amount of old land being sold off to big builders, is increasing the population in ways that CREATE and REQUIRE big government. This same town raised holy hell when one individual small business owner wanted to build a small shed to expand their home business, yet BIG DEVELOPMENT of massive amounts of housing continues unchallenged.

A conservative response to this would be an initiative to STOP all the new building and have stricter zoning laws. But the conservatives in that town are content to watch their TV's and read their Facebook feed, and not lift a single finger to stop the true LIBERAL and PROGRESSIVE menace that is plaguing their towns.

Now don't get me wrong... I believe in liberal and progressive capitalism when it makes sense to do so. For example, in this case, the liberal forces at play, if stopped by true conservative values, would lead to the development of a NEW SMALL TOWN further out from the area which in turn would create more people who want small government, or to modernize some of the smaller towns in North Georgia, but only until conservatives in those areas felt enough was enough as well...

However, at this point, conservative vs liberal is basically one sports team vs another regardless of the players or their stats.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Conservatives think with their brain, liberals think with their heart .

<< 1   >>

join